blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:02:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Road to being a pro
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road to being a pro  (Read 140221 times)
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »

there are quite a few things I want to say, but im resolving to be less of a killjoy/moany twat, so I won't :p I will say that not having AT LEAST an overlimping range live is pretty terrible.

In before bowl is mentioned again.

I agree with baldock fwiw, your degree is far more likely to be worth more to you in the long run than poker so I would focus my efforts on that in the short term.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:38 AM »

170 down. Had v on 4 flush board for 30 odd. Couldn't hit a flop for a while and whittled down then the weird spot came up. 2, 4, 8 straddle. Utg limps  I'm in SB with 127 and shove. What's your range here? Cos I shoved 77s and I think that is fairly standard. First straddle snaps and utg tank calls qq and an and don't suck out with first the gutshot and then the diamond draw. With 15bbs though I think this spot is about as standard as it gets. Can't fold can't call and can't raise. Not saying it's a fist pump and its probably bottom of my range (without looking at+, kq, 66+) but yeah feels weird to lose that much.

Hi ... Welcome to blonde.

Can't fold
Can't call
Can't raise

Can you please explain why you cannot do any of those things please. As far as I'm aware there has been no raise and action is on you with 77 in the sb right?

IMO I think it's suicidle to be shoving in this spot. All well and good about maths and theory etc etc but what about the fact it's live, and I'm pretty certain there are a million and one other ways to win 127£/£254 etc none of which would be shoving 77 pre flop.

Defo don't agree that it's 'standard' to do this in a live game of this ease.... If it is ill make sure to get out more.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »

have contemplated long and hard if i should get involved here...

I didn't have to think very long to decide I would like you to get involved please. Smiley
Same here!

I like what Dave said about flat ting with the 77 here
Think shoving £127 in with it is very wild /spewy play and with a ltd bankroll you will prolly be looking for a job soon if you carry on doing this in a full ring game
But I've probably done worse as most have
Seems strong but definitely more easy spots with higher EV, don't think anyone an argue about that

I don't mean to be the miserable fart but i'd focus on your degree until it's finished, it's one of them things you'll never be able to change if you f*** it up. Play a bit on the side like i did, you can still learn a lot from smaller/ fewer sessions and then after you've finished commit your time to it, if you still want to.

Good luck with university and poker!
there are quite a few things I want to say, but im resolving to be less of a killjoy/moany twat, so I won't :p I will say that not having AT LEAST an overlimping range live is pretty terrible.

In before bowl is mentioned again.

I agree with baldock fwiw, your degree is far more likely to be worth more to you in the long run than poker so I would focus my efforts on that in the short term.

Summer holidays lads. Will be playing less once uni starts again. Not even playing that much at the minute to be honest. Hate playing hungover and don't really wanna miss nights out whilst I'm still young.
collster

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:05 AM »

Hi,

I very rarely post but this is a great read so far.

Kind of strange that you wanna prove you can be profitable before Xmas but don't put in max volume during summer when you have most free time. I don't know Dave or Pleno but obviously know who they are. The fact that you can have them comment/help on here is a testament to blondepoker IMO. Pretty insane how the recent online ranking no.1 comments here to be honest.

I guess what I'm saying is commit fully or you'll no doubt fall short of your goals.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 12:38:10 AM »

Hi,

I very rarely post but this is a great read so far.

Kind of strange that you wanna prove you can be profitable before Xmas but don't put in max volume during summer when you have most free time. I don't know Dave or Pleno but obviously know who they are. The fact that you can have them comment/help on here is a testament to blondepoker IMO. Pretty insane how the recent online ranking no.1 comments here to be honest.

I guess what I'm saying is commit fully or you'll no doubt fall short of your goals.

Cheers mate. Completely agree with what you're saying but I'd also regret not enjoying my last ever summer holiday with my mates as well. Definitely struggle with getting the balance right and seem to swing to either just playing poker to just going out. I know this is what I want to get good at would like to make a living out of and maybe I should have just stayed in and worked on my ranges all month and it might be worth it in future gains but I think I'd probably get depressed and lose friends I've had for years in the process. Also when I say I haven't played that much, it's relative. I've only played 2 hours since Sunday night.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »

BR is at 750 so won't be playing live for a while now. Feel fairly demoralised to be honest. Hadn't realise I'd lost that much and think the Deceember thing is fairly unrealistic now unless I gamble it which I really don't want to do as I feel like I've done that too much this week anyway. I appreciate but most of you seem to be advocating aggressive bankroll management to move up the stakes as fast as you can and I'm really not sure this is the best strategy for me personally. Probably won't play that much for a while now and just work on my strategy until the point where I'm extremely confident with it and then start playing again.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »

Yeah that not playing thing didn't happen. Played 1700 hands at nl5 speed and won 2 BIs.

GAME #5944469565: Texas Hold'em  NL  Tournament 2014-08-28 23:26:43/GMT
Table €400 GTD Speed Hold'em, -, 6303117569 (Tournament: €400 GTD Speed Hold'em Buy-In: €1.82+€0.18)
Seat 1: DannyDribbler (€26,685.00 in chips)
Seat 3: RIVERMYARS (€80,420.00 in chips)
Seat 5: Gallic71 (€61,114.00 in chips)
Seat 6: HipSticks (€13,386.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 8: KingPush1 (€30,532.00 in chips)
Seat 10: madmust (€126,863.00 in chips)
KingPush1: Post Ante €160.00
madmust: Post Ante €160.00
DannyDribbler: Post Ante €160.00
RIVERMYARS: Post Ante €160.00
Gallic71: Post Ante €160.00
HipSticks: Post Ante €160.00
KingPush1: Post SB €800.00
madmust: Post BB €1,600.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to KingPush1 [ ]
DannyDribbler: Fold
RIVERMYARS: Fold
Gallic71: Fold
HipSticks: Fold
KingPush1: Raise (NF) €3,200.00
madmust: Raise (NF) Allin €126,703.00
KingPush1: Allin €27,172.00
*** FLOP *** [SA ]
*** TURN *** []
*** RIVER *** []
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot €158,035.00 Rake €0.00
KingPush1: Mucks [ ] Full House, Sixes full of Aces
madmust: Shows [ ] Full House, Aces full of Eights
madmust: wins €158,035.00

standard? Villain is 40/32/8 3bet
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:21 AM »

Hey

Get your degree mate, put work into your poker, enjoy it and all things being equal make a bit of money.

Being a "poker pro" or rather making a living from the game would be a really tough gig in today's world imo. Having to grind constantly to pay the bills and dealing with variance.

I hear stories all the time from people about how soft the games were 5 or 6 years ago and how easy it was to make money. Even in the short time I've been playing I would say the games have been getting tougher.

sonour

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

Really important to get your degree.

Just so so difficult to understand how important at 21.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 01:16:26 PM »

+1 to the degree>>>>>poker

99% of intelligent people with a decent education and good degree will earn miles more in a job longterm than poker
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

And you are probably better off just borrowing 5k and playing higher than bothering grinding with such a small amount. That's my opinion anyway. Gl
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

agree with the last 4 posts massively.  Given the change in poker in the last 5 years how can you plan for a career in poker for 40 years?  God knows what poker will look like in 5 years never mind 40.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »

Hey

Get your degree mate, put work into your poker, enjoy it and all things being equal make a bit of money.

Being a "poker pro" or rather making a living from the game would be a really tough gig in today's world imo. Having to grind constantly to pay the bills and dealing with variance.

I hear stories all the time from people about how soft the games were 5 or 6 years ago and how easy it was to make money. Even in the short time I've been playing I would say the games have been getting tougher.

Really important to get your degree.

Just so so difficult to understand how important at 21.
+1 to the degree>>>>>poker

99% of intelligent people with a decent education and good degree will earn miles more in a job longterm than poker

Am still getting my degree. However I probably should have been given this advice a while ago, it's hard to try hard when you know it's maximum a Desmond.

And you are probably better off just borrowing 5k and playing higher than bothering grinding with such a small amount. That's my opinion anyway. Gl

Is that an offer haha? And how come just because of the rake. This seems fairly insane to me.
agree with the last 4 posts massively.  Given the change in poker in the last 5 years how can you plan for a career in poker for 40 years?  God knows what poker will look like in 5 years never mind 40.

I think if you keep growing with the game you can survive. Especially live where there are a lot more players there for fun, I mean the level of play will definitely get better but they'll definitely be beatable.
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »

Seems like lack of money is preventing you playing live where you think you are highly profitable - it's not a computer game, you don't need to complete every level- skipping some can be the best move in a lot of cases. They never used to have games smaller than 0.25-0.50$$ when I started playing and I didn't bother with that either. The flip side is obviously your poker education from going through the levels, but can't imagine you are learning too much playing puddings for pennies so id say missing some levels is fine. If you are a losing player at higher levels then obv reevaluate. Think you need a pretty aggressive bankroll strategy these days if you really want to come from micros to playing proper stuff. Or run better than 99.99% of your opponents
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

Dubai is obviously right.

I just wouldnt suggest many people to listen to him because most poker players are deluded about their abilities. If they listened to him (what he says is correct if you are good) then they would just lose a lot of money quickly. Generally people are just degens and if they can play small stakes, lose a little or win a little its probably good for them.

You wont learn much moving up the stakes like Dubai said, they are generally just filled with players from paragraph 2 ^^ that try to not make many mistakes and thus just play weak tight and with the high rake its just a snoozfest, you're not learning anything and you won't really be improving and it wont help you for higher stakes games that are filled differently.

If you want to learn theory stuff just buy Matt Janda's book. Playing live really makes little sense, I've done the math in other peoples threads previously, but try and work out your actually hourly playing live, then minus costs, then minus all the other stuff that comes with it and then realise the variance of it vs playing online where your hourly will be way higher.

Finally Dubai right again about you should probably lend 5k and play higher but obviously thats a hard thing to do, instead just forget about poker for 3-4 months, get some job where you amke 1-2k a month and then you will have a little roll for yourself.  Poker will be here in a few months, dw.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: