blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Road to being a pro
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Road to being a pro  (Read 139799 times)
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »

Played a bit on Pokerstars 100z and normals and the regs are so much better than me. Need to do a load of work but struggling to find the time at the moment due to other stuff going on. Anyway gonna be playing a few mtts including sunday storm so hit me up if you wanna swap some.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »

On a big downswing don't think I've madE money since about ten days ago, a lot of these days I haven't played admittedly but yeah not winning all ins and not playing my a game isn't a good combination. I'm back grinding on sky .25/.5 lost a bit but I'm extremely confident that if I play my strategy to a decent level and for long enough I'll be back at .5/1 in no time.

Don't think it's any surprise to me this down swing happened though. Feel like I need to be minimum 90% doing poker to be successful at it maybe it'd be different if I was just playing the same games and not moving up or playing something where players are consistently bad but the variance in those sortS of games makes it pretty bad to make a living off in my situation to be honest.

As they say on 2 months 2 million. LOCKDOWN.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2015, 03:32:57 AM »

No two ways about it, I've had a shit month poker wise. I wasn't enjoying playing, mainly because I was constantly losing and I wasn't enjoying studying, mainly because most of the stuff I was looking seemed just top of value range v middle of value range, or stop over bluffing like a nutter v people who don't fold against you anymore.

Without bluffing though, poker for me is pretty boring, folding AK preflop and stuff just seems painful to me. The more and more I studied 6max though the more I realised I should tighten up, I wasn't a fan of this thought. Then I started watching the heads up challenge of man v machine on twitch with the best hu players in the world. Most of them seemed to be crushing the bot and some of them seemed to accidentally leave their mics switched on when they talked strat. All I'm going to be playing now is HU. When I play I feel exactly how I used to feel about 6max. I can play 5 hours straight without eating and whilst desperately holding in a piss until your next button, although poker is money if you don't feel like this what's the fucking point.

Been playing the hu zoom game on stars whilst waiting for people to sit me on Sky and trying to study as much as I can. Whilst I was doing this I got a message for Stars saying I'll be banned if I keep crEV open then I had to send an email saying I won't do it again. Weird as think it would be hard to implement any strategy other than specific spots by keeping it open but there you go.

Gonna smash it this month and end up at nl100 again fairly soon I reckon.

Goals
study 100 hours
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:35:22 AM by KingPush » Logged
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »

Stupidly drunk bet pacquiao last night. Never betting against mayweather again in my life. Not fun to watch but he's the equivalent of Chelsea with Mikel and matic as your centre mids, you just can't get anywhere near em.

Didn't play yesterday but had really vivid dreams about playing poker. Remember isildur saying he has these after he's played a lot of hands and they turn into nightmares when he's been on a downswing. Anyone else get them? Mine was just playing online playing a shit load of heads up hands and sweating turns and that. Also first time I didn't play any mtts on a Sunday for a while this is partly because I was too hungover too or asleep but I normally force myself to play a few. Glad I didn't though saw someone say mtts were a bit like ringing your ex which is definitely something I agree with.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »

Oh fuck
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:50 PM »

GET IN THERE.

Just gave myself a shitload of breathing room. Glad I can now finally get my haircut.

UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 20, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »

Nice.... Now go and get a shave!
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2015, 03:09:01 AM »

Playing terrible, running terrible and also having a lot of real life stuff to pay off which I hadnt foreseen has meant I'm back at 10nl.

Got really depressed about it and thought about giving up or just vamoing it all on something stupid but rationality/stupidity/stubbornness prevailed.
Been grinding crev for about 8 hours today and also reading jandas book and just changing loads of stuff.

In retrospect I got disgustingly lazy and arrogant and thought I could just rely on the golden goose to just keep laying them whenever I felt like it. Gonna keep working hard on my game and then rick trigg this shit back up to 100nl. Or its gg.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2015, 04:06:07 AM »

Right then, I'm back to the very start and currently grinding 2z 6max. Gonna start updating this more frequently as it doesn't seem like that much of a coincidence between me stopping writing this diary and starting to getting drunk and me starting to lose my bankroll either by spending it or losing it. Starting from now then I'm going to be updating this every day I play and also put up more graphs and shit.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »

Been playing a lot less frequently but at a lot higher quality. After to speaking to lil Dave he basically said to just be as aggro with my bankroll as possible whilst still feeling comfortable and that's what I've done. So I have been playing much fewer tables whilst paying much more attention. I can feel the confidence going back into my game again which is always good. Also got myself a new girlfriend which is always a decent motivation for making money. I've been playing a lot more sport as well. Genuinely feel like it's just a matter of putting in the hours now.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 19, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »

Played on friday and managed to find aa when utg had qq and mp had kk. With the help of that and some other pots I'm now having some shots at 30nl. Plan is to get the bankroll to 500 by the end of the month without rakeback. I've been way too tired to play that much yesterday and today and at this point I'd rather not play than not play well and concentrated. Gonna look through a few hands tomorrow then get at least 4 days grinding in the next week.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 20, 2015, 01:23:52 AM »

Played on friday and managed to find aa when utg had qq and mp had kk. With the help of that and some other pots I'm now having some shots at 30nl. Plan is to get the bankroll to 500 by the end of the month without rakeback. I've been way too tired to play that much yesterday and today and at this point I'd rather not play than not play well and concentrated. Gonna look through a few hands tomorrow then get at least 4 days grinding in the next week.

Do you not feel that you're playing under-rolled for 30nl?

I'm a bit of a BR nit, and even on 888 I wouldn't play 30nl without 25 buyins or more in the account. If you're on more reg-heavy sites like Sky, I would probably want £1k behind or so before I played 30NL.

You don't need to try and force your way up the limits, it'll all come in time. I've had to drop down limits a few times to rebuild, and the first couple of times I was more focused on getting back to playing the stakes I was used to rather than playing lower and trying to fix the leaks that caused me to drop buyins. No shame in grinding 10NL if in 6 weeks you'll be a more well rounded player and better equipped to attack the next limit.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 20, 2015, 01:32:47 AM »

Hate to reignite the old debate, but are you positive the juice is still worth the squeeze? You've worked really, really hard by the sounds of it definitely cannot begrudge you that, and i want you to come through but it's just so difficult to make it as a professional poker player from scratch nowadays and the idea of shot-taking 30nl at this stage sounds a bit grim. Can't imagine your intelligence and work ethic won't be far more productive to you in another field that also wouldn't result in ever increasing time out of your cv and and usually no acknowledged transferable skills. It's not a disaster now ofc but worth thinking ahead a bit if you want to discuss that.
OHCARRION

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »

It's a long road to being a pro starting at 30nl. I did it 7-8 years ago and people said it was tough then. Guess you could still do it, take a lot of work though.

I'd play a few sites and only the best tables. Rake is a killer at lowstakes, especially now with RB and good bonuses hard to come by!
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 21, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »

Do you not feel that you're playing under-rolled for 30nl?

I'm a bit of a BR nit, and even on 888 I wouldn't play 30nl without 25 buyins or more in the account. If you're on more reg-heavy sites like Sky, I would probably want £1k behind or so before I played 30NL.

You don't need to try and force your way up the limits, it'll all come in time. I've had to drop down limits a few times to rebuild, and the first couple of times I was more focused on getting back to playing the stakes I was used to rather than playing lower and trying to fix the leaks that caused me to drop buyins. No shame in grinding 10NL if in 6 weeks you'll be a more well rounded player and better equipped to attack the next limit.

Definitely under rolled, not sure it matters too much though as I'm trying to have the biggest hourly and as long as I'm happy to move down I should be fine. Wouldn't call Sky a reg heavy site either by any stretch of the imagination. As far as fixing leaks goes I study and use crev a lot which I think is much more effectove than playing. Also, have you gotta skype if you want to talk over some hands?

Hate to reignite the old debate, but are you positive the juice is still worth the squeeze? You've worked really, really hard by the sounds of it definitely cannot begrudge you that, and i want you to come through but it's just so difficult to make it as a professional poker player from scratch nowadays and the idea of shot-taking 30nl at this stage sounds a bit grim. Can't imagine your intelligence and work ethic won't be far more productive to you in another field that also wouldn't result in ever increasing time out of your cv and and usually no acknowledged transferable skills. It's not a disaster now ofc but worth thinking ahead a bit if you want to discuss that.

I understand this and I may have to put it on the back burner in the near future. I still want it though, bad.

It's a long road to being a pro starting at 30nl. I did it 7-8 years ago and people said it was tough then. Guess you could still do it, take a lot of work though.

I'd play a few sites and only the best tables. Rake is a killer at lowstakes, especially now with RB and good bonuses hard to come by!

Done it before, well aware it's no walk in the park. Agree about the rake that's why I'm shotting at higher stakes than most recommend.

Lost a couple of buy ins at 20nl yesterday. One really standard spot where I make the second nut flush on the river and he makes the nut one. The other hand was more interesting as I bluff shove over a bet on the river, I'll probably put it up on the analysis forum. May have been the nut hand I hand I have in my range to do it with but judging by hwt he turned up with I should have just folded. Can't be that bad though. Up a bit so far today.

I was wondering what everyone does when they grind online, do they watch shit? Do they listen to music/podcasts? Or just play?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: