blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Stoke City FC
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stoke City FC  (Read 104162 times)
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »

Pretty much agree with arb, on this one. It'll be interesting to see how next year turns out with pressure on the manager and players. I'm hoping this year was just a blip. We've got some players with bags of potential which, with the right management, could see us into top 7/8. I'm not sure Hughes is the right man as he's made some questionable decisions this season, but I'm still willing to give him at least another season with a fully fit squad to get us back into the top 10.

I don't think it gets boring in my opinion, it's still not that long since I was sat among 12000 watching us play Colchester on a Tuesday night in winter at the Brit, so just being considered a safe, mid table team still seems a privilege. And to be honest, with all the abuse that came from our physical playing style in our early PL years and the hatred that still comes from certain sets of fans (had multiple strangers tell me they wish Stoke would be relegated and liquidated asap, mainly from a certain north London club who I cannot wait to see miss out on champions league football) it feels good to be able to put your finger up at these fans that we're still playing in the top flight.

Also the stuff about the cup must be a joke? League cup semi finalists last year (lost in the shootout), our fa cup run a few years before that, followed by a run to the knockout stages in Europe. A bad season doesn't mean we don't take it seriously.

Feed em rice.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »

Agree with Arb about Crouch, done well for you when he had a run.
Time to replace Shawcross? he's looked off the pace and out of position in a fair few goals this year, injuries seem to have caught up with him.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »

Time it is time for him to go tbh but he is locked up on a long term deal and won't be going anywhere as nooe else will want to buy him.  Saying that newcastle want to sign 'you'll never beat Wes Morgan' at 33 years old?  Surely that is the piss take of all piss takes given their transfer budget this season?  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:16:14 PM by arbboy » Logged
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »

Poor points tally  in the league this season compared to recent seasons but there is a but..

Underlying performance using an xG model is almost on par with Everton and the  xGD deficit is the biggest in the league with City and Southampton.

Click to see full-size image.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »

Poor points tally  in the league this season compared to recent seasons but there is a but..

Underlying performance using an xG model is almost on par with Everton and the  xGD deficit is the biggest in the league with City and Southampton.

Click to see full-size image.

Given the above and likely investment in the summer 11/4 Stoke top half next season looks a mighty big price.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/to-finish-in-top-half

Amazing how much Arsenal over performed yet they still think they had a terrible season!!!!  The betting markets rarely priced Stoke like they were underperforming so badly compared to the stats which is suprising the stats show how much they under performed results wise.  One win off finishing best ever 8th.  Very disappointing season results wise.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:44:43 PM by arbboy » Logged
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2017, 11:49:26 PM »

Our first signing of the window is confirmed to be Darren Fletcher on a 2 year.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40125487

I've read a fair bit of negativity regarding this, but I personally think it's a solid signing on a free. Thoughts?

Feed em rice.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2017, 02:42:36 AM »

Our first signing of the window is confirmed to be Darren Fletcher on a 2 year.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/40125487

I've read a fair bit of negativity regarding this, but I personally think it's a solid signing on a free. Thoughts?

Bought to suck in Rooney imo as a former teammate.  Think Gazza and five bellies 25 years ago.  So much for Hughes getting the average age down this summer.  He extended Geoff C as well til 2020.  No idea why i would have been happy to let him go this summer or the end of his contract next summer.  Brings nothing to the side and is old.  Bardsley is another of Rooney's buddies and has been extended for another season.  Again probably to make Rooney feel at home when he signs.  Both of them miles past their best (which was garbage anyway ) if Stoke are serious about being a proper top 10 side they need to get the average age down.  Then adding a banged up 31 year old wazza into the mix with the body of a 36 year old.  Marv.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:06:37 AM by arbboy » Logged
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »

Being linked to Rooney is surely bs, has to be crazy odds he'd even consider coming to stoke over boyhood team Everton or some filthy money offered in China or the mls.

Fletcher has been a decent captain during West Broms most successful PL season. There seems to be close to an infinite number of CDMs fighting for a place next season though; Fletcher, Allen, whelan, Adam, imbula, affelay and Cameron. I think Muniesa's also had a few games there as well. Surely a couple of these will be given the boot, imbula being an almost definite exit.

Can't help but find sparkys statement about lowering the average age of the squad confusing when he seems to have axed a few youth players and then offers players like Phil bardsley, as you mentioned, an extension.

In Hughes we trust? Time will tell.

Feed em rice.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

Being linked to Rooney is surely bs, has to be crazy odds he'd even consider coming to stoke over boyhood team Everton or some filthy money offered in China or the mls.

Fletcher has been a decent captain during West Broms most successful PL season. There seems to be close to an infinite number of CDMs fighting for a place next season though; Fletcher, Allen, whelan, Adam, imbula, affelay and Cameron. I think Muniesa's also had a few games there as well. Surely a couple of these will be given the boot, imbula being an almost definite exit.

Can't help but find sparkys statement about lowering the average age of the squad confusing when he seems to have axed a few youth players and then offers players like Phil bardsley, as you mentioned, an extension.

In Hughes we trust? Time will tell.

keeping bardsley and signing Fletcher (like you say Stoke really don't have any reason to have either judging them purely on their playing ability and MH statement about lowering the average age of the squad) combined just stinks of Rooney actually coming and Stoke making every effort to get his pal's and old manure old boy on board to appease him.  The money will be there to sign Rooney if they want to.  It will be a global marketing spend for 365 rather than Rooney the player. The family will see it as an investment in the development of two brands combined globally.  Stoke could easily out bid Everton financially if they wanted to as it wouldn't just be a footballing based financial decision.  Plus Rooney has a well highlighted gambling 'habit' so if he spunks all the wages back to the firm they will get him for free.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:02:49 PM by arbboy » Logged
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:24 PM »

Fletcher is better than every stoke player except Arnautovic and Shaqiri.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »

Fletcher is better than every stoke player except Arnautovic and Shaqiri.

lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Better than Butland?  Allen? at 33?
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:12 PM »

I'd just rather splash huge levels of cash solidifying our back 4. Martins indi said he wanted to stay but his missus wants to live in a warmer climate so it's very unlikely he comes back. The rest of our defence has been piss poor compared to our usual high standards. The thought of a wollscheid/ Shawcross partnership at CB is the stuff of nightmares!

Im not even too sure why we're chasing a striker, let alone an aging rooney. I understand the marketing angle, but Hughes has spent a lot of time and money chasing Berahino, who has worked hard to shed a load of weight and get back to the same level he was at 2-3 years ago. Give him a chance after a full pre season. I honestly believe when he gets his confidence back he'll be a great asset, especially if we set our attack up around him. 

I also hope that Ramadan Sobhi plays more next year! Sensational to watch.

Feed em rice.
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »

As a neutral I thought this was a decent read, would be interested in Stoke fans thoughts: http://statsbomb.com/2017/05/stoke-city-reboot-needed/
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »

The guy who has had the roughest end of the stick imo is Crouch.  Delivers every time he is called upon then dropped for no reason at all time and time again.  He clearly isn't past it because his skill set ages so well as he has never had pace.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2017, 11:34:40 PM »

As a neutral I thought this was a decent read, would be interested in Stoke fans thoughts: http://statsbomb.com/2017/05/stoke-city-reboot-needed/

19th biggest wage bill in world football.  Stoke are hardly a small time operator anymore and that is only going to grow as 365 gets bigger and bigger.  The ground has been expanded this summer as well.  Interesting read and i think Shawcross is going to regress massively this season.  He isn't going to age well with his back issues and the distribution discussed from the back in the article is an issue i think.  Let's not forget Stoke played the vast majority of last season without their previous player of the season in Butland.  One more win and they would have finished 8th.  Butland is Stoke's best player for me and the main reason why the points total was so high the season before when they finished 9th.  How many teams outside the big 7 could have their first choice keeper out for the whole season (sign an inexperienced Championship keeper on loan) and still comfortably have the so called 'disappointing' season Stoke had?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 31 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: