blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014-15 NFL Discussion thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014-15 NFL Discussion thread  (Read 75510 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »

Welcome to the 2014-15 season

We have a fantasy league thread, think the league is now in its 4th season at http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=54617.1725

this thread for discussions on games, betting, the season, links to plays, newbie questions, league controversies, supporting your teams etc etc

for starters...

Superbowl picks please

x beats y...

your chance to quote your post at the end of January, and look like a genius. Or not

I will start

Green Bay Packers beat San Diego Chargers.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

Usual question - this is the year when the Raiders aren't total dogshit, yes? 

Superbowl here we come?

Or maybe not?
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »

Chicago Bears beat Indianapolis Colts 34 - 24 Alshon Jeffery with 3 TD's and takes the MVP

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »

Ooh, great to see this.

I'm afraid I'll be bombarding you all with questions, as I barely understand the game, but I've come to enjoy it very much, & can't wait for tonight's opener, am staying up & everything.

It's the Packers @ Seahawks, so is this (from Wiki) true, or is it all a bit of a myth?

The crowd at CenturyLink Field is notoriously loud during Seahawks games. On September 15, 2013, during a game against the San Francisco 49ers, the fans broke the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd roar at an outdoor stadium with 136.6 decibels. The record was broken on October 13, 2013 at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, home of the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs with a roar of 137.5 dB,[4] but fans reclaimed the title on December 2, 2013, during a Monday night game against the New Orleans Saints, with a roar of 137.6 decibels.[5] The noise has contributed to the team's home field advantage with an increase in false start (movement by an offensive player prior to the play) penalties against visiting teams

Incidentally, the Stadium is leased to an outfit named "First & Goal".

In September 1998, First & Goal signed a 30-year stadium lease that includes options to extend for another 20.[18] Per the agreement, the Public Stadium Authority receives $850,000 a year from First and Goal (adjusted for inflation), and First & Goal keeps all revenue from the stadium and parking garage. The company receives 80% of the revenue from the exhibition center while the other twenty percent is allotted to a state education fund. First & Goal is responsible for all operating and maintenance costs, expected to be $6 million a year, and must keep the facility in "first-class" condition. Other details of the lease include the availability of affordable seats, a coordinated effort with neighboring Safeco Field to prevent gridlock, a provision for naming rights, the investment in public art at the stadium, and the giveaway of a luxury suite to a fan each Seahawks' game.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:23:46 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »

that is true

Seattle is the biggest home advantage of any NFL team (other places are tough to go, as well notably really passionate places like green bay, cleveland)

"“Let’s face it,’’ said Mariucci, now an analyst for the NFL Network, “some home crowds are pathetic. There are stadiums in the NFL in the regular season that are not very loud. Seattle is not one of them. You roll down that 12th Man thing over the end zone and crank it up, and then raise the (12th Man) flag — I think people buy into the fact that we are helping our team win. That we are not here to be entertained but we are here to make life miserable for the enemy. You have to love that philosophy and that concept they have in Seattle. There are only a handful of stadiums that really feel that way.’’"

The validity of Seattle’s home-field edge is enough that Las Vegas oddsmakers typically give Seattle an extra point when establishing their betting line each week.

they are 75-31 since they moved to the new stadium in 2002, or 70%

in a 50-50% sport where teams fortunes wax and wane (and seattle have only been good for the last 3 years), that is massive

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »

Usual question - this is the year when the Raiders aren't total dogshit, yes? 

Superbowl here we come?

Or maybe not?

Not yet, long road ahead.

more talented than they were, finally shaking off the Al davis years, but would be a major surprise if they were not bottom of the AFC West at the end of the season

My eyes are open wide
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »

Patriots beat the Packers 28-27 after a late Brady Special drive and heroic two point conversion to Tim Wright.

National Anthem will be 1min 58.

Packers will call heads and lose.

The halftime show will not be topless. It will, however, be Coldplay.

(What a bump this could be in five months!)

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »

i would recommend the Hard Knocks programmes by HBO

following one NFL team per pre-season

Atlanta Falacons this year

first episode was on c4 Last night

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/nfl-hard-knocks/4od#3753708

previous seasons on you tube. the Dolhpins one was particularly good, with a cast of dysfunctional nutters that a very staid head coach has to deal with

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

Bearing in mind I only see it at a superficial level, who are the "personalities" I should watch out for tonight? The Quarterbacks, I suppose?

I'd like a little bet or two, too, preferably stats based, that'll hopefully last the whole game, running or receiving yards, total points, sacks, that sort of thing. Any suggestions?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:56:04 AM »

marshawn lynch is one of the league's top running backs

seattle are a run first offense

green bay lost their top run stuffer BJ Raji for the season

they are a bit undersized in the front 7 of the defense

seattle needs to keep the powerful green bay offense off the field

they will do this by running and controlling the clock

over his career in seattle

http://www.nfl.com/player/marshawnlynch/2495663/careerstats

lynch rushes around 20 times a game, around 4 yards per carry

the match up suggests he will exceed this tonight

hills are too low at +/- 82.5y

expect him to rush over 100 yards tonight

http://www.oddschecker.com/american-football/nfl/green-bay-packers-at-seattle-seahawks/total-rushing-yds-marshawn-lynch

My eyes are open wide
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »

Chicago Bears beat Indianapolis Colts 34 - 24 Alshon Jeffery with 3 TD's and takes the MVP

Us Bears fans can dream I suppose!!

Bears defence give up too many easy yards midfield.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »

Ooh, great to see this.

I'm afraid I'll be bombarding you all with questions, as I barely understand the game, but I've come to enjoy it very much, & can't wait for tonight's opener, am staying up & everything.

It's the Packers @ Seahawks, so is this (from Wiki) true, or is it all a bit of a myth?

The crowd at CenturyLink Field is notoriously loud during Seahawks games. On September 15, 2013, during a game against the San Francisco 49ers, the fans broke the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd roar at an outdoor stadium with 136.6 decibels. The record was broken on October 13, 2013 at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, home of the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs with a roar of 137.5 dB,[4] but fans reclaimed the title on December 2, 2013, during a Monday night game against the New Orleans Saints, with a roar of 137.6 decibels.[5] The noise has contributed to the team's home field advantage with an increase in false start (movement by an offensive player prior to the play) penalties against visiting teams

In September 1998, First & Goal signed a 30-year stadium lease that includes options to extend for another 20.[18] Per the agreement, the Public Stadium Authority receives $850,000 a year from First and Goal (adjusted for inflation), and First & Goal keeps all revenue from the stadium and parking garage. The company receives 80% of the revenue from the exhibition center while the other twenty percent is allotted to a state education fund. First & Goal is responsible for all operating and maintenance costs, expected to be $6 million a year, and must keep the facility in "first-class" condition. Other details of the lease include the availability of affordable seats, a coordinated effort with neighboring Safeco Field to prevent gridlock, a provision for naming rights, the investment in public art at the stadium, and the giveaway of a luxury suite to a fan each Seahawks' game.

Was at that game ;o), can confirm it was amazing. A load of middle aged people shouting themselves hoarse to try and break a record that doesn't really mean much. Fred Couples raised the ceremonial 12th man flag before the game and the noise was incredible. He was quite emotional about it too. (its about 1 1/2 minutes into that clip but it's a shame there is no sound on  it)

I have never really had an attachment to an NFL team, I was fond of The Jets and The Saints but after that game Seattle are now my team.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/12th_MAN_Flag_Raiser_Major_Bruce_Crandall/3d74fccf-f9a2-4ac3-a59a-fd5a49171fb3
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:19:04 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »

Ravens lose to 49'ers @ Superbowl.

Chiefs to make the playoffs.
Dolphins to secure No 1 draft pick.
Dallas to have 2 or 3 good weeks to give a little hope but end no better then 8-8, possibly much worse.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »

Ooh, great to see this.

Was at that game ;o), can confirm it was amazing. A load of middle aged people shouting themselves hoarse to try and break a record that doesn't really mean much. Fred Couples raised the ceremonial 12th man flag before the game and the noise was incredible. He was quite emotional about it too. (its about 1 1/2 minutes into that clip but it's a shame there is no sound on  it)

I have never really had an attachment to an NFL team, I was fond of The Jets and The Saints but after that game Seattle are now my team.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/12th_MAN_Flag_Raiser_Major_Bruce_Crandall/3d74fccf-f9a2-4ac3-a59a-fd5a49171fb3

That 12th Man Flag - what a great way of engaging with the fans, it must make them feel part of the Team.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

Name this player.......

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: