blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 01:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272884 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  UK General Election 2015
Poll
Question: I will be voting for the following in the General election  (Voting closed: May 10, 2015, 02:10:42 PM)
Conservative - 41 (40.6%)
Labour - 20 (19.8%)
Liberal Democrat - 6 (5.9%)
SNP - 9 (8.9%)
UKIP - 3 (3%)
Green - 7 (6.9%)
Other - 3 (3%)
I will not be voting - 12 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 100

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK General Election 2015  (Read 257117 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »

Are the EU asking for more cash, or is it just a different split and we are paying more due to a "strong" economy?

If it's the latter I think they have to pay it - after all the politicians constantly lecture us that those with the broadest shoulders have to pay the most tax andeveryone must pay their fair share etc etc.

If it's just EU being greedy then I think there is a good case for telling them to get stuffed.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »

Are the EU asking for more cash, or is it just a different split and we are paying more due to a "strong" economy?

If it's the latter I think they have to pay it - after all the politicians constantly lecture us that those with the broadest shoulders have to pay the most tax andeveryone must pay their fair share etc etc.

If it's just EU being greedy then I think there is a good case for telling them to get stuffed.

From what I read it is well within the rules and, given Ken Clarkes contribution to the debate in the HoC today, it is probably incompetence that they didn't expect it.  Strikes me that in the past four or five days we have seen a real effort by the Tories to "out UKIP" UKIP which is very, very sad in my opinion.   Michael Fallons comments barely stopped short of visions of the River Tiber foaming with blood and today withdrawal of support for the migrant rescue missions in the Mediterrean just lacks basic humanity imo. 

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »

From what I've read it wasn't a surprise, they re-assess on a regular basis

The surprise was that they went so back so far, and were given such a short deadline.

The favoured result is likely to pay it, but over a longer period.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11184605/Explainer-Why-must-Britain-pay-1.7bn-to-the-European-Union-and-can-we-stop-it-happening.html

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »

Remember the hoo-ha when the Scottish Government suggested they wouldn't pay the UK debt during the referendum campaign. 

Do as I say not as I do.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2014, 01:14:03 AM »

It's pure opportunism by Cameron. All the focus in the UK is on the adjustments, not the total contributions. Germany still pays the most.

It's possible they will get a bit off by negotiation but the adjustment will have to be paid and Cameron will look daft for having painted himself into a corner unnecessarily.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:42 AM »

We owe it fair and square, pretty poor manoeuvring from team Cameron I reckon. Given that we signed on the dotted line we have to pay up however little the government likes it.

His plan to 'renegotiate our relationship with the EU' (has anyone actually said what this means yet btw?) surely relies heavily on UK generally being able to bargain in good faith if Cameron has any shot at getting what he wants....whatever that is? We play by the rules, we're a net contributor, we're trying to fight the rise of anti-EU parties at home etc.

If he goes into these negotiations as a welcher, what hope does he have?

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »

We owe it fair and square, pretty poor manoeuvring from team Cameron I reckon. Given that we signed on the dotted line we have to pay up however little the government likes it.

His plan to 'renegotiate our relationship with the EU' (has anyone actually said what this means yet btw?) surely relies heavily on UK generally being able to bargain in good faith if Cameron has any shot at getting what he wants....whatever that is? We play by the rules, we're a net contributor, we're trying to fight the rise of anti-EU parties at home etc.

If he goes into these negotiations as a welcher, what hope does he have?

He has no hope but he wins the next election because he stands up for Britains rights in the eyes of all of those that want to vote for UKIP so he neutralises them.  Of course even Cameron isn't stupid enough not to realise that he also fucks up the country for a generation but given the choice I think most Tories would put the parties electoral prospects above the good of society (which, famously, most of them don't believe in anyway) and some of them are truly bonkers enough to think welching would be a good thing!!

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »

IPSOS Mori Poll today suggests that Labour could be wiped out in Scotland returning only 4 MP's in 2015 GE.  SNP - 54, LIB DEMS - 1

Thoughts?
Should we get the Betting boots on?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »

IPSOS Mori Poll today suggests that Labour could be wiped out in Scotland returning only 4 MP's in 2015 GE.  SNP - 54, LIB DEMS - 1

Thoughts?

Can we get a few more wiped out in England as well!!!
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »

Thoughts?

Can we get a few more wiped out in England as well!!!

Fire away, save John McDonnell though.  I have much time and respect for him. 
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »

Thoughts?

No - it assumes a standard swing across constituencies which won't happen.  They may well be well beaten but I would lay long odds on it won't be this bad.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

How would you vote tomorrow?
Con  32%
Lab  33%
Lib    7%
UKIP17%
Green    7%

Presumably if there was an election tomorrow, UKIP and Greens would get a lot less than that and the Libs would get more, so it's a question of how that affects Labour and the Conservatives.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 07, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »

I imagine that of that 17% voting for UKIP, they'll lose about half due to our FPTP system.  The potential UKIP voters will picture Miliband's face in the voting box, and grudgingly put a cross next the the Tory.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 155 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: