blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ched Evans
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 112053 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »

"There's no doubt that with the enormous rewards comes responsibility, this seems to be lost on some people."

I just don't agree with this line of argument.  This makes it sound like a convicted rapist is going to be patrolling the streets of Gotham in a batsuit.

The rewards aren't dictated by responsibility.  They are dictated by market forces and he happens to be in a profession that pays very well.  Sheff Utd will likely not sign him because the revenue they will lose and brand damage they will suffer will outweigh the benefits of picking up a decent striker for nothing.  And that should be their decision.

Otherwise, we'll have to set up a committee that judges whether any footballer has enough "responsibility" for his profession.   It seems clear that killers and rapists won't play.  What about people who have hit their partners?  Players with gambling problems?  Players who headbutt each other?  Players who bite each other?  Obviously raping someone is a world apart from common assault, but none of these sound very responsible and in return for their enormous rewards.

Or are we just going to pick and choose as we go along, depending on the level of media anger?

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

I feel like the weight of opinion has moved strongly against him getting a contract.

I'd be pretty surprised if Sheffield Utd offer him one now, at least until his final appeal is heard.

If he loses that appeal, the only way back for him would be to play in Europe somewhere.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 14, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »

"There's no doubt that with the enormous rewards comes responsibility, this seems to be lost on some people."

I just don't agree with this line of argument.  This makes it sound like a convicted rapist is going to be patrolling the streets of Gotham in a batsuit.

The rewards aren't dictated by responsibility.  They are dictated by market forces and he happens to be in a profession that pays very well.  Sheff Utd will likely not sign him because the revenue they will lose and brand damage they will suffer will outweigh the benefits of picking up a decent striker for nothing.  And that should be their decision.

Otherwise, we'll have to set up a committee that judges whether any footballer has enough "responsibility" for his profession.   It seems clear that killers and rapists won't play.  What about people who have hit their partners?  Players with gambling problems?  Players who headbutt each other?  Players who bite each other?  Obviously raping someone is a world apart from common assault, but none of these sound very responsible and in return for their enormous rewards.

Or are we just going to pick and choose as we go along, depending on the level of media anger?

When you are on £20k a week and part of an organisation that  is a community based whether you like it or not you have different responsibilities to a builder or a window cleaner.

It comes with the territory with the game as it is today. Bear in mind that SUFC have pushed hard to be a club that attracts young fans - it gives away thousands of tickets to youngsters on a very regular basis. Its tried very hard to attract a family audience. When you are selling a Club on this basis, your employees have a responsibility to understand that, especially as a headline star player on big money.

Given that philosophy, the guy definitely has added responsibilities in his position.

Do you think that in another high profile family based entertainment industry in would be any different? Lets say the presenter of a high profile family TV entertainment show were convicted of rape, they would re-employ him? It would be madness.

Let him get a job but not where he acts as a high profile role model for youngsters.

Jessica Ennis made that point very eloquently in her statement - "Those people of influence should respect the role they play in young people's lives and set a good example"

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 14, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »

In the case of the TV presenter they wouldn't re-employ him I imagine.  And that would be a decision for the TV company after weighing up the pros and cons.  They aren't not hiring him because they are taking a moral high gound.  They are acting in the company's interests.

However, since we are now entering a moral arena on who gets to play footballer and who doesn't, where do you stand on the other examples I mention?   Luke McCormick is captain of Plymouth.  Steven Gerrard/Joey Barton/Troy Deeney have beaten people up from memory.  John Terry threw racist insults.  All setting poor examples to youngsters and playing at present. 

Who is going to form the moral committee to decide who gets to play - Sepp Blatter?
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »

In the case of the TV presenter they wouldn't re-employ him I imagine.  And that would be a decision for the TV company after weighing up the pros and cons.  They aren't not hiring him because they are taking a moral high gound.  They are acting in the company's interests.

However, since we are now entering a moral arena on who gets to play footballer and who doesn't, where do you stand on the other examples I mention?   Luke McCormick is captain of Plymouth.  Steven Gerrard/Joey Barton/Troy Deeney have beaten people up from memory.  John Terry threw racist insults.  All setting poor examples to youngsters and playing at present. 

Who is going to form the moral committee to decide who gets to play - Sepp Blatter?

I think the FA should take the lead and bring in a code of personal conduct package all registered players need to stick to or face bans or discipline.

For very serious breaches such as rape, murder etc it would be a lifetime ban

Thus taking the decision whether to employ a player with a shady past out of the hands of the individual clubs.

samurai

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »

As an individual he is absolutely within his rights to work again having served his sentence.

An employer should imo think long and hard before employing a convicted rapist. Which is what he is.

Which is why surely it's better for him to wait for any appeal to take place. If he is innocent then of course its horrific for him. But at the same time, if he is, he obviously won't want people singing that he can rape who he wants to. Unfortunately as I said before his supporters treatment of the victim, with or without his approval, have made the situation much worse for him.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »

Whatever happened to the rule you cannot get parole from a sentence if you are still claiming you are innocent?

Is that just from life sentences?

Or is that from another country?

Or have I just seen it in the movies somewhere and assumed it was fact?

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »

I thought exactly the same thing Camel, but since this case I am wondering if I got mixed up with another country's rules.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »

http://www.mojuk.org.uk/bulletins/paroleboard.html

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »

Some simply disgusting tweets reportedly sent to Jessica Ennis today, what on earth do these people think they are doing?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

It's a vile medium really

The replies mertesacker got the other day when tweeting remembrance of encke were the worst I have seen
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »

Some simply disgusting tweets reportedly sent to Jessica Ennis today, what on earth do these people think they are doing?

Luckily these "people" will be getting a knock on the door shortly.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 14, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »

According to the Guardian the lady that started the petition against him has been receiving up to 500 abusive tweets a minute.  If true that is both amazing and vile.

horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 14, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »

You quite often hear that English football/society does not have a problem with racism these days

A very quick search of twitter on any day will soon show that is not true

Same is true of sexism

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 14, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

According to the Guardian the lady that started the petition against him has been receiving up to 500 abusive tweets a minute.  If true that is both amazing and vile.

That is simply impossible.

You can search the tweets a person has received by using @ in the search box.

I saw she had some horrible remarks aimed at her, but 500 a day would be exaggerating, 500 a minute is far more than Bieber gets

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 45 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: