blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Deeply unfunny comedians
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deeply unfunny comedians  (Read 12635 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

Rich Hall's Things Snowball is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Al Murray's Pub Landlord satirises the very people who are paying him to perform. How is that not glorious? Maybe it's a little Oxbridgey for some, but I can't think of something else so conceptually perfect.

Interesting thread, nevertheless.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

Al Murray's Pub Landlord satirises the very people who are paying him to perform. How is that not glorious? Maybe it's a little Oxbridgey for some, but I can't think of something else so conceptually perfect.

But the reason the Pub Landlord character got so big is precisely because so many of the audience don't get the joke, and are laughing with and not at him. He'd go down a storm at a gig full of UKIPpers.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

Cannot understand the strange obsessions with Sarah Millican ( all of her 'jokes' revolve around her being slightly overweight and obsessed with food) and Michael McIntyre who makes me want to simultaneously poke out my eyeballs and puncture my eardrums. Neither as bad as that long haired Geordie buffoon who appears surprisingly regularly on QI. As much as I love QI, I insta-delete from my Sky+ box if he's on. I think he's called Ross something. Absolutely horrendous.

Went to see Adam Buxton do his youtube-centred show last year and it was gloriously funny. So well crafted and his observations and delivery were excellent. Shows how a simple concept that is well delivered can be incredibly funny.

The wife and I are also enjoying Dave Gorman's 'Modern Life is Goodish' on Dave. Again, it's just Dave ranting against modern life whilst pulling pointless but amusing pranks on unsuspecting corporations/websites etc. All very harmless, gentle humour.

At the other end of the comedy spectrum, I would also recommend : Jim Jeffries ( watch his show 'Legit' if you've not seen it) and the incomparable Louis C K. Watching Louis deal with hecklers is absolute car crash viewing - both horrendous and hilarious at the same time which is a difficult line to walk.

Also got a soft spot for Tim Minchin, but he can be a bit hit and miss. Some of his songs are brilliant. Here's a link to one called 'Inflatable you'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6raVzrbqrM&list=UUz5wnzqxdlrhdpaVoRwKe2A
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:39:02 PM by HutchGF » Logged
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »

But the reason the Pub Landlord character got so big is precisely because so many of the audience don't get the joke, and are laughing with and not at him. He'd go down a storm at a gig full of UKIPpers.

But the thread is funny comedians and he is one. The fact that two levels of people find the Landlord funny is to his credit, no?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

God yes. Falling off chairs is funny, about a hundred years ago. Piss off Miranda

Glad so many agree. Mike McIntired/Noel Wtf/Lee Evans/Sarah Millican how have these people got rich?

Happy with a bit of Frankie Boyle but even I cringe after a while. Do like Sean Locke, but thats not for here.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »

Oh, I saw Kevin Bridges live too and he was dog shit.

GTF!

Best thing to have come out of Scotland since Square Sausage and Stornoway Black Pudding.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »

Flannagan, Merton, Skinner, Hart, Alan Carr, Andy Parsons, Bishop, are all not funny. 

How anyone can say Bridges and Boyle aren't funny is beyond me.  Both are absolutely brilliant.  I'm a menber at The Stand in Glasgow and get to see lots of good local comedians and also some dross. 

Locally I like Janey Godly and Raymond Mearns really dislike The Reverend Obadiah Steppenwolfe III
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Damn you Galloway, you killed the thread.

WHO on earth would pay to watch Miranda?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Joobie.

Thankfully I have managed to resist buying the overpriced tickets.

Somehow she managed to sell out the Echo Arena in Liverpool around last Christmas. The actual "gig" was in 2015!
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

As to my own personal unfavourites, right at the top of the list is Noel Fielding. Dressing like a low-rent Russell Brand is not a career. He's only ever done The Mighty Boosh and that was shit and he's now made Buzzcocks unwatchable.

He's not really a TV comedian but Robin Ince is a nightmare as well - does his best to ruin the Infinite Monkey Cage with his sneering, hectoring, 'I'm so clever because I've read some books'.

+1

That Noel Fielding is just terrible imo

If he or John Bishop were performing in my front garden I would close the curtains....

I really like what Dave Gorman does in his TV show but it's not really a stand up comedian show.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 05:40:20 PM »

In answer to the original question though - I have seen Paul Foot live and it was just a bit poo. No laughs at all. Half the audience were absolutely crying with laughter, the rest of us were just looking around going WTF?

Roy Chubby Brown is another one. He was good when you were 14 but as you grow up you realise he's just a dirty, old, unfunny fat bloke with a million names for a girl's bits. How he is still going is beyond me.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »

Micky Flanagan and Sarah Millican were the two that came straight to mind when I saw the thread title.  I quite like Miranda - Dan can't stand her.  As for Frankie Boyle, I'm all for 'close to the bone' comedy, but he's taken some things just too far for my taste, and I can't see past that.

Oh and Mrs Brown's Boys is obviously one of the worst sit-coms ever.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Joobie.

Thankfully I have managed to resist buying the overpriced tickets.

Somehow she managed to sell out the Echo Arena in Liverpool around last Christmas. The actual "gig" was in 2015!

I got the Mrs tickets for her Christmas.  One of the worse live gigs I have gone to, full of 12 year old kids.  I like the TV show though, but it just doesn't work as a stand up routine.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

Click to see full-size image.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: