blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 52004 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2015, 01:52:06 AM »

I spent the whole day in London yday and it never crossed my mind about my safety at any point from arriving to departing.  Even when i walked past two armed policemen at the train station both with huge guns i never once felt at risk and even considered something might occur.  Does seem odd seeing British police carrying such huge weapons though in public places like train stations.  Sign of the times i suppose.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2015, 01:56:34 AM »

Much bigger and more likely dangers in London than ISIS.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »

I spent the whole day in London yday and it never crossed my mind about my safety at any point from arriving to departing.  Even when i walked past two armed policemen at the train station both with huge guns i never once felt at risk and even considered something might occur.  Does seem odd seeing British police carrying such huge weapons though in public places like train stations.  Sign of the times i suppose.

Yup i've been in London all week and, like you, the only discernable difference I've noticed is the extra number of visible police. People seem the same as always - public transport definitely isn't any less crowded for sure!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 20, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »

Ticket sales were very good for the Football in the days after the attack. 70,000+ wandered up Wembley Way. Paris didn't become deserted overnight. Nor should anywhere. We are still more likely to be killed crossing the road than by a terrorist act.

I have asked like 10 people if they would have gone to the match after the events, they all said no. But all take their hats off to people who went.

But yeah, you're right David, but isn't the likelyhood that something still needs to be done? Because whilst it isn't, we just wait for "our turn".

My fiancee goes to university in London and she confirms that nobody is particularly worried about it there.

I think I read the FA said less than a 100 tickets were refunded after they gave people the option of staying away, maybe it's only a very specific demographic that are covered with fear?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

Ticket sales were very good for the Football in the days after the attack. 70,000+ wandered up Wembley Way. Paris didn't become deserted overnight. Nor should anywhere. We are still more likely to be killed crossing the road than by a terrorist act.

I have asked like 10 people if they would have gone to the match after the events, they all said no. But all take their hats off to people who went.

But yeah, you're right David, but isn't the likelyhood that something still needs to be done? Because whilst it isn't, we just wait for "our turn".

My fiancee goes to university in London and she confirms that nobody is particularly worried about it there.

I think I read the FA said less than a 100 tickets were refunded after they gave people the option of staying away, maybe it's only a very specific demographic that are covered with fear?

London is way too big and way too busy for anyone to be given pause to think for more than a day or so. It's not a city that breeds reflection. It was the same after the 7/7 bombings. People were mildly fearful the first time they used the tube again and it was really quite quiet. Within a week it was totally back to normal with people shoving each other to get on.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »

Question of the day (As Mr Shoelace seems to have stopped doing this)

Would you be happy with (or indeed accept) airport type security before using a train?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: November 20, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »

Would you be happy with (or indeed accept) airport type security before using a train?

Wrong thread  for my Q of the day:)

Plus, the discussion is pretty busy on the politics thread with very current events so no need to prod it along.

Regarding your question, man I would hate that. Is that being proposed? That would be a nightmare to implement in London surely? Or are we talking more the cross country trains?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 20, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »

I'm not happy with it before using an aeroplane.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »

It was only a couple of months ago that someone posted about Tunisia attacks and would they go to Tunisia, but look at last Friday's events and would you have gone to certain events that have been and gone or that are upcoming?

England v France - on Tuesday night

If France was at home on the Tuesday

Would you go to the Euro's in 2016 in France?

All of Europe, mainly England and France are saying "We won't be beat", but yet they are beating us. We walk around in fear. Paris is covered in fear, so is London and the same in other major cities. They definitely aren't winning and so on, but they are able to do what they wanted to do and terrify Europe. Yet all we are hear is that they will take IS down, but it won't happen.

But also, I always thought that I would always very likely thought Labour, but Jeremy Corbyn and has "no shoot" policy is absolutely stupid.

These terrorists do make it hard for themselves though, did they really think they would get into the stadium? But how did they get into the nightclub in Paris? I don't think they would ever get into big named nightclubs in London.

You don't think two men with kalashnikovs could get past a London doorman?

I am sure they could - But they couldn't get into the football stadium in France.

You wrote you didn't think they would get into a big London nightclub.
I think they could get into any of our nightclubs/museums/restaurants with the method of running up to the front door firing automatic weapons.

I agree the the different tactic of trying to sneak in wearing a suicide vest like they did at the stadium has a much higher chance of being foiled, but I think they knew that too, hence the different options.

Basically there isn't anyway you can protect public places from people who want to kill and don't mind if they die trying, we can only hope the intelligence services can keep discovering their plots and try to carry on with our lives as best we can.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

I'm not happy with it before using an aeroplane.

why not John?

i can't imagine wanting to go on one if bags hadnt been checked, people and hand luggage hadn't gone through the machines

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

Plus, the discussion is pretty busy on the politics thread with very current events so no need to prod it along.

Regarding your question, man I would hate that. Is that being proposed? That would be a nightmare to implement in London surely? Or are we talking more the cross country trains?

I just saw an interview with a "security expert" on BBC World who suggested it was "unfathomably naive and short-sighted" for there NOT to be airport style checks before train AND tube journeys.

Fuck that, say I.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »

I just saw an interview with a "security expert" on BBC World who suggested it was "unfathomably naive and short-sighted" for there NOT to be airport style checks before train AND tube journeys.

Fuck that, say I.

Hahahaha! There speaks a man who has never caught a rush hour tube. Literally impossible to do so.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 20, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »

Fuck that, say I.

but if it saves one attack from being successful, isn't some minor inconvenience/some time onto your travel a small price to pay?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 20, 2015, 10:30:38 AM »

Fuck that, say I.

but if it saves one attack from being successful, isn't some minor inconvenience/some time onto your travel a small price to pay?

Aren't the terrorists winning by causing these "minor inconveniences|" on everyone?

As Alun says, can you really see screening for every tube passenger in London?

Logistically impossible, surely?

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »

Fuck that, say I.

Aren't the terrorists winning by causing these "minor inconveniences|" on everyone?

As Alun says, can you really see screening for every tube passenger in London?

Logistically impossible, surely?

Victoria line has 34 trains an hour at peak times. Each one has over 1000 people on it.

Victoria station frequently has queues of hundreds both in the ticket hall and outside onto the train station concourse already.

Good luck with that screening.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: