blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:04:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 52253 times)
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: November 24, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

Have to say, I never thought a NATO country would knowingly down a Russian fighter. I guess we don't know this as a fact yet

wat?  I most definitely would hope that the RAF would down a Russian fighter if it entered our airspace and did not immediately leave.

That seems likely to have rather large repercussions don't you think?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 24, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »

Have to say, I never thought a NATO country would knowingly down a Russian fighter. I guess we don't know this as a fact yet

wat?  I most definitely would hope that the RAF would down a Russian fighter if it entered our airspace and did not immediately leave.

I don't understand what the problem is here.  There is no country that doesn't defend its airspace.  If a Russian or other unauthorised warplane entered our airspace and refused to immediately leave (or follow instructions), it would ultimately be shot down.  Why does this surprise you?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 24, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »

problem is if Russia wants it can walk through Europe and not much NATO can do to stop it

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »

problem is if Russia wants it can walk through Europe and not much NATO can do to stop it

It will take them a mighty long time on foot.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »

It will take them a mighty long time on foot.

even on foot wouldnt take them that long

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 24, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

Russia got their answer today, we ALL need to treat our neighbours with respect, if we don't we have only the past to look at as the future

To win at poker is to not have to play
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: November 24, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »

I don't understand what the problem is here.  There is no country that doesn't defend its airspace.  If a Russian or other unauthorised warplane entered our airspace and refused to immediately leave (or follow instructions), it would ultimately be shot down.  Why does this surprise you?

Because I'm a rational human being?

You appeared to be suggesting that if a Russian plane strays into UK airspace they will be immediately shot down without a damn care for the consequences.

If what you're actually saying is eventually after all other possible avenues had been closed down and it refused to leave eventually it would be reluctantly shot down then I agree.
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

Because I'm a rational human being?

You appeared to be suggesting that if a Russian plane strays into UK airspace they will be immediately shot down without a damn care for the consequences.

If what you're actually saying is eventually after all other possible avenues had been closed down and it refused to leave eventually it would be reluctantly shot down then I agree.

That is what a country's air force are actually saying yes, but in a very short timeframe haha
If foreign fighter jets do not respond in 5 min around your air space and cross it wwyd?

To win at poker is to not have to play
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »

The Russians must have been aware that they risked having their plane shot down so we have to assume that they were comfortable with that outcome.

Turkey have needlessly given away the moral high ground. (IMHO of course)

The older I get, the better I was.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »

Oh man, just saw a Russian fighter has been shot down by the Turkish Air force - that's a pretty scary escalation

True, I am just working out a way that we can blame ourselves for it.   Doesn't have to be logical or fit timelines, I just need it as part of a rant. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement

This will fit the bill nicely
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »

Oh man, just saw a Russian fighter has been shot down by the Turkish Air force - that's a pretty scary escalation

True, I am just working out a way that we can blame ourselves for it.   Doesn't have to be logical or fit timelines, I just need it as part of a rant. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement

This will fit the bill nicely

Isn't that just flavour of the month in amongst those of us who like to wring our hands?

If we had stuck to the straighter lines favoured by Messrs Sykes and Picot, the Russian jet would never have overflown that little knobble of Turkey, hence today's incident would never have happened.

Luckily if we are going to go off on one in the Guardian, following any kind of logic is unimportant, so Sykes-Picot is officially the reason us wankers are to blame for today's incident.

Thanks for your help

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: