blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Are you a bit jealous?........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you a bit jealous?........  (Read 7475 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

Life isn't fair.

Who knows if this fella deserves his success, but I do know that a high % of people who are rich and successful have achieved it by sheer luck not by talent, skill or hard work.

I know some of the most successful gamblers in the UK but there is only person who if he gives me something he fancies I will back it blind without looking at the market myself.

And this guy who I rate the shrewdest gambler I know is pretty much completely flat broke.

People massively overrate talent and totally underrate variance IMO.

How do you know this ?.. your usual social circle is the self made businessman ?... I know many self made guys and everyone of them is intelligent,shrewd with an overwhelming work ethic.. there are a few wedged up who just happen to be good at one particular thing and are as thick and ignorant as a brick wall with the personality to go with it.. but these are the exception

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:25 AM »

Life isn't fair.

Who knows if this fella deserves his success, but I do know that a high % of people who are rich and successful have achieved it by sheer luck not by talent, skill or hard work.

I know some of the most successful gamblers in the UK but there is only person who if he gives me something he fancies I will back it blind without looking at the market myself.

And this guy who I rate the shrewdest gambler I know is pretty much completely flat broke.

How do you know this ?.. your usual social circle is the self made businessman ?... I know many self made guys and everyone of them is intelligent,shrewd with an overwhelming work ethic.. there are a few wedged up who just happen to be good at one particular thing and are as thick and ignorant as a brick wall with the personality to go with it.. but these are the exception

Spot on, biggest load of horse poop I've heard on here in a while.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 01:10:07 AM »

Life isn't fair.

Try reading "Fooled by Randomness" by Nicholas Nassib Taleb.

It was revelatory experience for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fooled-Randomness-Hidden-Chance-Markets/dp/0141031484/ref=pd_sim_b_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=00HEJACM6VW0VCK7WXEJ

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 01:31:42 AM »

Life isn't fair.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fooled-Randomness-Hidden-Chance-Markets/dp/0141031484/ref=pd_sim_b_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=00HEJACM6VW0VCK7WXEJ

Did it help you become rich and successful ?

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 01:33:25 AM »

Life isn't fair.

Did it help you become rich and successful ?

No.

But explained why I'm not Smiley

Seriously, it is one of the finest books I've ever read. Well worth reading.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Smiley

The older I get, the better I was.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 02:56:27 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Absolutely not jealous. I would never waste my money on a car like that.

The only people I'm jealous of are people who posess a skill or talent I wish I had.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

The only people I'm jealous of are people who posess a skill or talent I wish I had.

How about if that talent was being lucky getting successful?

Ah! The element of surprise
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »

Life isn't fair.

Looks a good read, just ordered the Kindle version.  Thanks for the recommendation.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

I don't think you can have a talent for getting lucky.

Although the careers of certain poker players might well prove me wrong.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »

Life isn't fair.

Looks a good read, just ordered the Kindle version.  Thanks for the recommendation.

This is an excellent read imo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrationality-Stuart-Sutherland/dp/1905177070

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Same.  I shouldn't bite but i will!  Anyone that knows me knows i couldn't give a toss about cars.  My car is probably worth less than the smallest bet i had last week and is so beaten up it literally has no resale value.  If i won the lottery tomorrow i would be amazed if i spent more than £10k on a car.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:19:28 PM by arbboy » Logged
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Check out the work of Dr Richard Wiseman..

http://www.richardwiseman.com/resources/The_Luck_Factor.pdf

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »

Cliffs:

Arbboy - Yes
Camel - Yes

Check out the work of Dr Richard Wiseman..

http://www.richardwiseman.com/resources/The_Luck_Factor.pdf

Good call, he's very good.  Read a few of his books.

I don't know if someone has mentioned it already, but it's sometimes the case of "the harder I work, the luckier I get."  However, anyone who doesn't recognise the way chance shapes our lives and how lucky people are to be born in the right country, at the right time, to make it to adulthood avoiding premature death, having the talent and the opportunity they were born with, and then getting the rub of the green when they need it - is deluded.

I know how lucky I am.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:59:05 PM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: