blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NFL 2015 season Thread
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2015 season Thread  (Read 117686 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 25, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

Should be a Colts fan really, because I remember my first game... I Stayed at Flushy's during a Rendezvous festival 5/6 years back, and came back on Sunday for day of main. I think I bubbled the FT, so was going home.

Flushy convinced me to hang about for the NFL, as he had his biggest every bet on the Colts and they were a good thing against whoever they were playing.

Easily led, as I am. Having never even seen a game, nevermind bet on one, I whacked a couple hundred on the Colts.

He spoke to Keith about his bet, who said he was strongly against them, so he wasn't best pleased, given how much he had on.

Thankfully the Colts won, we got paid, and I was hooked!

As for supporting teams, I watched Blindside a week or so later, which led me to the Ravens.

I remember that festival and flushy being bullish as fuck about the Colts in that game.

Yeah, and then Keith did his nut in, completely by saying he felt strongly the other way.

Think it might have been the Titans they were playing, but can't be 100%.

I remember buying a Colts baseball cap in Brighton during one of those festivals years ago. I assume it was with the proceeds of flushy's advice.  I often wondered why i bought that cap.  Makes sense now.

http://s427.photobucket.com/user/TeamAWOP/media/Fo%20Sho/DSCF7297.jpg.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:08:31 PM by arbboy » Logged
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 25, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »

Watched the channel four coverage of the NFL one day in the 90s. I would have been about ten. I heard there was a team called the Buffalo Bills.

You can't hear a name like that and not have your interest piqued.

They're good? Well that's my team then.

I always feel more engaged in a sport if I have someone to root for.

I've always picked a team in everything I watch. Doesn't mean you can't appreciate other teams but it's easier to follow for sure.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Evilpengwinz

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 25, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »

Out of interest, how and why did you pick teams to follow?

First game I watched was Superbowl 43. I didn't have a clue what was going on, but decided it was worth giving it another go. It looked pretty exciting, and it annoyed me that I didn't understand anything.

Bought Madden 10 to try and work out WTF this game was all about. Initially picked the Vikings to play as because I decided they had the best uniform. Got to know a few of their players and half-heartedly "supported" them for added interest for a little while, maybe half a season or so. Yes, I benched Favre for Tarvaris Jackson every single time because T-Jack could run faster, then wondered why the real life Tarvaris Jackson didn't get more snaps. After all, this Favre chap was old, and slow, and couldn't throw to save his life. Although in hindsight, maybe the throwing thing had more to do with my Madden "skills" than Brett Favre.

Still didn't really understand the game at all, so the easiest thing for me to watch and appreciate at the time was Special Teams. At the time, the Raiders had both Janikowski and Lechler - A guy who I'd heard talked about as the best punter in the league at the time, and a kicker who had tied the record for longest ever field goal earlier in the season. Decided to stream a game between the Bears and the Raiders. I knew Devin Hester wasn't too bad at returning kicks as well, so I might as well enjoy Special Teams while being confused yet mesmerised for the rest of the next 3 hours. Janikowski kicked 6 field goals, Lechler had an 80 yard punt that went straight over Devin Hester's head and bounced at the 5 yard line, and the Raiders won. So I decided to become a Raiders fan, and have regretted it most Sundays since.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 25, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »

You see, I liked and admire players rather than teams.

I remember the first player I really liked was Earnest Byner.

Then Barry Sanders. Randall Cunningham. Etc etc.

All the way to Kaepernick, Odell Beckham and Amari Cooper.

The problem is, on every team I really like a player there is an equal number of players I really can't stand.

Love Tony Romo, despise Greg Hardy.

Love Gio Bernard, despise Adam Jones.

So best to support no one and cheer for whoever I've bet on.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 25, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »

Should be a Colts fan really, because I remember my first game... I Stayed at Flushy's during a Rendezvous festival 5/6 years back, and came back on Sunday for day of main. I think I bubbled the FT, so was going home.

Flushy convinced me to hang about for the NFL, as he had his biggest every bet on the Colts and they were a good thing against whoever they were playing.

Easily led, as I am. Having never even seen a game, nevermind bet on one, I whacked a couple hundred on the Colts.

He spoke to Keith about his bet, who said he was strongly against them, so he wasn't best pleased, given how much he had on.

Thankfully the Colts won, we got paid, and I was hooked!

As for supporting teams, I watched Blindside a week or so later, which led me to the Ravens.

I remember that festival and flushy being bullish as fuck about the Colts in that game.

Yeah, and then Keith did his nut in, completely by saying he felt strongly the other way.

Think it might have been the Titans they were playing, but can't be 100%.

I remember buying a Colts baseball cap in Brighton during one of those festivals years ago. I assume it was with the proceeds of flushy's advice.  I often wondered why i bought that cap.  Makes sense now.

http://s427.photobucket.com/user/TeamAWOP/media/Fo%20Sho/DSCF7297.jpg.html

Good find Cheesy

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 26, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

I've often wondered what American sports fans do about supporting when either they or their teams move.

If you're a fan of the LA Rams and they move the franchise to St Louis, do you remain a Rams fan or do you have to switch to another team? Then years later, if another franchise rocks up in your area do you follow them?

Or what happens if you're born and raised in New York, but move and settle in California as an adult? Do you switch teams?

I know football fans here are fans for life. It's unthinkable that a Geordie would move to London for work and switch from Newcastle to Chelsea. Is it different over there?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:50:10 AM by AdamM » Logged
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 26, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »

I've often wondered what American sports fans do about supporting when either they or their teams move.

If you're a fan of the LA Rams and they move the franchise to St Louis, do you remain a Rams fan or do you have to switch to another team? Then years later, if another franchise rocks up in your area do you follow them?

Or what happens if you're born and raised in New York, but move and settle in California as an adult? Do you switch teams?

I know football fans here are fans for life. It's unthinkable that a Geordie would move to London for work and switch from Newcastle to Chelsea. Is it different over there?

I've found that the Americans are much more attached to their college allegiances than the NFL Franchises, so whilst they might readily switch from one franchise to another if the circumstances changed, their college football allegiances are for life.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: November 26, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »

Over Christmas 1988 or 89, may even have been Christmas Eve - I was not old enough to bet Wink

Mum worked, and Dad was at home watching "his" NFL and his beloved Packers were on Channel 4.

They were playing the Cowboys and as he was so into Green Bay seemed sensible to cheer for the opposition (I was at that age).  Dallas had a record of 1 win and lots of losses at that point and got thrashed.  But the coverage and my Dad's love for what seemed the most complicated game in the world soon grew into something more.  I bought books, got old game tapes from a contact at RAF Mildenhall, learnt the history of the game (in a library kids, no internet then) I was hooked.

Think we watched every televised game together for about the next 3 years.  Eventually I got to take him to see his beloved Green Bay, and I got to watch the rise of Irvin and Smith et al.  A Cowboy forever, but imagine if that first game had been Green Bay vs Tampa or Cleveland.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 26, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »

And I suppose my follow up question is, would it seem odd to American fans who might have a pragmatic location based reason for choosing their team, that U.K. Fans pick a team for life on arbitrary reasons. Would an American NFL fan expect all UK fans to become London Jaguars fans for example, if that became a reality? Would an American settled in London become a Jags fan if they moved to London.

This fascinates me because it's the tribal fan-for-life bitter rivals element of Association Football that I've always disliked about the game.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 26, 2015, 10:33:35 AM »

but some of the FL rivalries are big, espeically within divisions

cowboys-eagles
cowboys-redskins
cleveland- baltimore
raiders-chiefs
packers-bears

etc

can all be fierce

and games like colts-patriots over the last decade when it was brady/manning and both teams were good and playing every year due to scheduling

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 26, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »

I think most americans support the same NFL team for life mainly based on where they came from originally, you only have to look at games in the san diego and arizona to see that the us population which has in general moved west and south over time still support teams from back east.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 26, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

Bill Davis: "OK so I got the game plan for tonight"
Chip Kelly: "Great. How are we dealing with Megatron?"
Bill: "...who?"
Chip: "Number 81. Calvin Johnson. Big Fella. Hall of Fame wide receiver elect."
Bill: "Oh him. Well, I've studied the film and Stafford only throws to him once in a while when they're desperate so I think we're ok"
Chip: "Great. Well, just in case, let's put a couple of guys on him"
Bill: "You're the boss" [pulls a face as he walks away, scratching his head]

Chip: "Bill! Get over here! BILL!! I can see you behind the Gatorade stand."
Bill: "Oh...hey Chip! What's cooking?"
Chip: "This is no time for culinary jokes, Bill. Megatron is torching us"
Bill: "I got it. Don't worry. Here"
Chip: "This isn't laminated. Where did you get this? Is it even on the playbook?"
Bill: "Well, not technically no."
Chip: "Why are all the players in the same corner?"
Bill: "It's a 1-10 formation."
Chip: "..."
Bill: "So, we figure Riddick gotta Riddick...Let's stop the pass"
Chip: "It saddens me to say this, but you're still better than Shurmur"

Bill: "SEND MORE D-BACKS!"

Click to see full-size image.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
fatcatstu

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 26, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »

Well Tony Romo isnt having a good day!!
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 29, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »

I'm going in again this week on Denver, under the points and no TD. Same as last week, the key is that they are able to run it. New England have skewed stats against the run because of how often they've built substantial leads and I don't think have any great run stuffing capability. Simple throws and lots of running is the only way Osweiler can overcome the dreadful record of rookie' QB's vs Belichick. It's the way Kubiak has designed the team to play and conditions also call for it. If Brady puts on a show tonight then I'll be really impressed, it looks stacked against him to me.

No TD 150-1 with StanJames, Under 39.5 6/4 with B0ylesport's and Bronco's 27/20 with Sp0rting bet.

I also like Minnesota tonight, I think they'll dominate up front on both sides of the ball and Atlanta look like a team in decline.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 29, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »

Would anyone care to explain to me what on Earth is going on with the Zebras in this San Francisco v Arizona game, please?

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: