blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272480 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Mayweather v Pacquiao - 2 May 2015
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mayweather v Pacquiao - 2 May 2015  (Read 17150 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »

I think that's the end of boxing btw. That was the last big fight the general public give a shit about IMO. UFC will now take over because their fan base is super engaged with the sport.

Comical how many people on my social media feeds though Pacman won.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2015, 02:16:07 PM »

Casual boxing fans may well think he won. He's aggressive and Floyd backs off with single shots. People who don't watch boxing too regularly might well think that. Especially if you can't hear the commentators.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »

I think that's the end of boxing btw. That was the last big fight the general public give a shit about IMO. UFC will now take over because their fan base is super engaged with the sport.

This will never happen.  UFC is far too brutal to watch for the vast majority of casual fight fans.  I know loads of people who casually love boxing but would never watch UFC because it is so raw and brutal.  It has it's own niche market and will stay like that imo.  If it is about to take over when is a UFC fight going to gross even 10% of what that fight did last night?  Literally no chance.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »

This will never happen.  UFC is far too brutal to watch for the vast majority of casual fight fans.  I know loads of people who casually love boxing but would never watch UFC because it is so raw and brutal.  It has it's own niche market and will stay like that imo.  If it is about to take over when is a UFC fight going to gross even 10% of what that fight did last night?  Literally no chance.

My point is less that UFC will get massive and more that boxing is about to go on a massive decline. We'll probably never see a boxing match gross 10% of last night.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2015, 03:03:04 PM »

My point is less that UFC will get massive and more that boxing is about to go on a massive decline. We'll probably never see a boxing match gross 10% of last night.

Mayweather hasn't retired yet. But yeah when he goes it will leave a void in the short term as there are no other fighters out there at the minute that have really caught the public's imagination. However in time others will come to the fore.

It's a pity there aren't more fights that capture the public's imagination as it doesn't have lead to some ridic value.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

Mayweather's next fight will gross way more than 10% of last night.  Money will be on £30m min for the final fight of his contract alone without everyone else taking their cut.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »

(not a boxing fan, so i ask as an outsider)

why does mayweather capture the fans interest?

a serial domestic abuser with an extremely boring fighting style..single hit, run and avoid etc etc...can see why that would appeal to purists but what's the fuss about such an objectionable person?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »

a serial domestic abuser with an extremely boring fighting style..single hit, run and avoid etc etc...can see why that would appeal to purists but what's the fuss about such an objectionable person?

He's one of the best of all time.  He is also exceptionally good at self promotion. The public tend to have a love hate relationship with him. He is far from a popular figure but still they pay to watch him.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »

He sells the 'dream' lifestyle that so many young men aspire to/dream of imo.  Loads of cash/birds/cars/gambling etc.  That sells his product to the typical yank male imo.  His ability to use social media to engage with his customers is second to none in sport.  Underneath all the hype/flash harry image he is a totally serious athlete who treats his body like a business.  He looks in game shape virtually every day of the year no matter when his next fight is.  The total opposite of a guy like Hatton who had to shift 3 stone twice a year between fights.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »

Shame Golovkin isn't a little bit smaller.

Indeed. I can't see Floyd being interested in that and understandably so. I'll be happy with Thurman or Khan next up.
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »

How would the Khan fight be priced up?

Similar to last night I'm thinking?

Certainly think Khan gives him more trouble than Pacman did but  Mayweather would still do enough.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2015, 03:25:56 PM »

Certainly think Khan gives him more trouble than Pacman did but  Mayweather would still do enough.

You think that could happen at Wembley or is Money always just going to fight in the USA/Vegas because of the time difference just doesn't make it work from a business point of view?  Froch seemed to enjoy telling Money that he had fought in front of 80.000 fans and Money hadn't.
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

Floyd a lot shorter. Public money meant he went off at an inflated price as the public love Manny. The public don't particularly rate or like Khan. Many of them still remember him flat on his back after being sparked by Prescott. Mayweather no bigger than 2/5.
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »

You think that could happen at Wembley or is Money always just going to fight in the USA/Vegas because of the time difference just doesn't make it work from a business point of view?  Froch seemed to enjoy telling Money that he had fought in front of 80.000 fans and Money hadn't.

The only attraction I think would be fighting in front of 80,000 fans, possibly with being his last ever fight he might fancy that but Mayweather being Mayweather it would be more likely be wherever he's guaranteed the most coin!
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

Floyd a lot shorter. Public money meant he went off at an inflated price as the public love Manny. The public don't particularly rate or like Khan. Many of them still remember him flat on his back after being sparked by Prescott. Mayweather no bigger than 2/5.

Bazza you think the Khan fight will be made?

Khan has Ramadan in September so sorta rules that month out although Mayweather said he will fight again in September.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: