blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  St George's Day
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: St George's Day  (Read 7417 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:56:37 AM »

A chance to celebrate England and Englishness or thinly disguised racism and xenophobia?

Discuss.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »

I didn't even know it was St George's day until i went to my local for dinner last night.  What do people do to celebrate St George's day?  Don't think i have ever done anything on this day in my life to celebrate it.
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »

I love our country.

Proud to be English , one of the best places in the world to live for so many different reasons.

Why can't we celebrate our diverse culture , our heritage , the respect we have around the world.

Most of all , I love our sense of humour , not all countries get it.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »

A chance to celebrate England and Englishness or thinly disguised racism and xenophobia?

Discuss.

the former, sometimes turned into the latter by some elements

no different than st patricks day, st davids day etc which countries are happy to celebrate, there seems to be a sneering element at people proud to be English

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »

I love our country.

Proud to be English , one of the best places in the world to live for so many different reasons.

Why can't we celebrate our diverse culture , our heritage , the respect we have around the world.

"I love our country." "one of the best places in the world to live for so many different reasons." does not necessarily equal "Proud to be English"

Proud of the slave trade? Proud of colonialism? Proud of our role in the Iraq war?

Etc etc and etc

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »

Discuss.

no different than st patricks day, st davids day etc which countries are happy to celebrate, there seems to be a sneering element at people proud to be English

Because St Patricks Day has always been celebrated and St Georges Day has never been a "thing" until the last couple of years.

bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »

I love our country.

"I love our country." "one of the best places in the world to live for so many different reasons." does not necessarily equal "Proud to be English"

Proud of the slave trade? Proud of colonialism? Proud of our role in the Iraq war?

Etc etc and etc

We can't all be perfect. Grin

The question is open to different interpretations , I'm happy to take mine.

Cannot think of any other nationality I would rather be.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »

I love our country.

I'm with you Jimbo  Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

Discuss.

Because St Patricks Day has always been celebrated and St Georges Day has never been a "thing" until the last couple of years.

its always been st georges day celebrated by some, just the noisier element (a more negative one) have thrust it into the limelight

thus it now gains more attention

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

I love our country.

I'm with you Jimbo  Smiley

I am in big trouble now then Wink
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

If Carling made as big a deal promoting St Georges day as Guinness does St Patrick's day then it would probably be a bigger deal to the vast majority of English people.  I just don't think the vast majority of English people feel the need to 'celebrate' the day.  I feel pretty much the same as Jim with regards to England.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »

St George is of course Syrian.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »

If Carling made as big a deal promoting St Georges day as Guinness does St Patrick's day then it would probably be a bigger deal to the vast majority of English people.  I just don't think the vast majority of English people feel the need to 'celebrate' the day.  I feel pretty much the same as Jim with regards to England.

Why would a Canadian company want to promote St George's Day? Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »

Why would a Canadian company want to promote St George's Day? Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling_brewery

Didn't realise that.  Nice work.  Always thought they were born and bred as a brand in Burton on Trent.  You learn something every day.  TY Nandos lover!
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »

Discuss.

its always been st georges day celebrated by some, just the noisier element (a more negative one) have thrust it into the limelight

thus it now gains more attention

St Patricks day celebrations might be a few hundred years older than St Georges day ones - but both are relatively ancient, so it definitely can't be dismissed as a modern 'invention' in any way.

As for the problems with the slave trade and colonialism - the former is ubiquitous throughout history and geography, if anything it should provide something to be proud of as the English were amongst the first to lead calls for its abolition. The latter is similarly widespread, albeit limited to the smaller number of larger nations - judging a country by either factor (particularly using modern sensibilities) is akin to judging a nation through it's previous use of iron in the iron age and bronze in the bronze age.

I would have thought pride in the country (or otherwise) has to be more generally judged by the more general concepts that might represent it.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: