blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:02:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Forgotten Bands...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Bands...  (Read 9630 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »

are we doing bands that everyone knew, but have forgotten about, or bands that no-one ever heard of?

Think I might be missing the point.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »

Dragonforce

They rose to fame in the mid noughties and were well known for their outrageously fast guitar sounds mixed with an electronic sound. As a young teen I fell in love with their music, and I'm sure if you've ever tried to play their songs on some of the old Guitar Hero games you'd have been left wondering how they managed to play with such speed on a real guitar, let a lone a 5 button playstation guitar!

I had never heard of Dragonforce until a few weeks ago, when someone sent me the link to this

DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »

Dragon Force got pretty big when they featured on Guitar Hero. Through The Fire And The Flames on Expert was the close to unbeatable 'final boss' of the game.

fawl
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »

When i was a teenager a whole new world opened to me when suddenly MTV Europe was available to us at home. Apart from Ray Cokes' Most Wanted (I was around 13, I probably would have loved it even more if I had better english skills) one of my favourite bits was MTV unplugged, which is where i discovered one of my favourite band of the 90s, Stone Temple Pilots:

They split up in 2002/3 when Scott Weiland formed Velvet Revolver with Slash and the likes, reunited 2008 and I think they are still active but Scott Weiland left 2013 and I haven't followed his solo career or STP with the new singer, but I will check out what is on Spotify.

I think my favourite song is probably still "Plush" although I also really liked the second and third album.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

When i was a teenager a whole new world opened to me when suddenly MTV Europe was available to us at home. Apart from Ray Cokes' Most Wanted (I was around 13, I probably would have loved it even more if I had better english skills) one of my favourite bits was MTV unplugged, which is where i discovered one of my favourite band of the 90s, Stone Temple Pilots:

They split up in 2002/3 when Scott Weiland formed Velvet Revolver with Slash and the likes, reunited 2008 and I think they are still active but Scott Weiland left 2013 and I haven't followed his solo career or STP with the new singer, but I will check out what is on Spotify.

I think my favourite song is probably still "Plush" although I also really liked the second and third album.

Welcome to blonde Mr (Miss?) Fawl, what tempted you to sign up?

MTV Unplugged, in the early days of MTV, was the abso nuts.

For me, MTV lost it's magic when it became MTV Europe, which, to my mind, was not a patch on the original, which had all those wonderful MTV Idents. Delish.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
fawl
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »

Welcome to blonde Mr (Miss?) Fawl, what tempted you to sign up?

MTV Unplugged, in the early days of MTV, was the abso nuts.

For me, MTV lost it's magic when it became MTV Europe, which, to my mind, was not a patch on the original, which had all those wonderful MTV Idents. Delish.

It was the only MTV I knew, so I didn't know what I potentially missed Smiley I didn't watch the whole video yet, but some seem familiar (the one starting 0:48 for example), it was quite an art form for itself...

Also thank you for the friendly welcome, I found the forum through my friend bergeroo and it seems like a nice and interesting community!
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »

from the NME

50 forgotten '90s bands who prove '90s indie wasn't just about Oasis and Blur

http://nmem.ag/AAdHs  

Jogs a few memories!

A few blasts from the past there! Though a couple of their choices baffle me. Idlewild? Skunk Anasie? Mansun?! Was scrolling down and did wonder if my hometown (and favourite) band Shed Seven would get a mention, alas they did. Surprised really, they still have a very strong following despite not doing any new material. They are touring the UK again this winter, supported by another band that could have made the list....Inspiral Carpets.

I'm biased, but the Sheds are a great live band and always put on a fantastic show. And Rick Witter is a really nice guy. Just don't mention the advert for The Link.....

Edit....to add to the debate, a band called The Departure. We're tipped for big things, as they broke through around the same time as bands like Arctic Monkeys, Libertines, Maximo Park etc yet I think they disappeared after just one album. Shame, had a couple of decent tunes, the pick of them being Be My Enemy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:34:19 PM by hhyftrftdr » Logged

Best Bitter.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »

Always on Standby Shed Seven, in the wrong place at the wrong time

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

Always on Standby Shed Seven, in the wrong place at the wrong time

Very good. Not sure how many people on here will get that though Wink

Best Bitter.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »

I have 4 of their albums and had more or less forgotten them until I started singing sit down at my youngest this morning.

Weirdly they reformed a few years ago and I didn't notice.  Playing Scarborough next weekend.  They were pretty glorious back in the day.  Tim Booth used to do some seriously wild dancing on stage.

EDIT.  Be very careful playing that video, The Berutiful South came on ofter that video and now my ears are bleeding badly and my brain has exploded.  Hopefully you'll be all lucky with the follow on video, well frankly you'd struggle to do worse.

Edit again.  I first heard that 26 years ago.  Wikpedia can't be right, but that makes me feel much better about my memory. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:43:01 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »

James were a live discovered treasure.  They often turned up at festivals and the first time I saw they were listed I have to admit I wasn't really looking forward to them but they really knew how to get into it and were fantastic live.

Jesus Jones were rimilar.  We went to see INXS at Wembley in 1991 and they were on the same set.  I'd never heard of them before but by halfway through their first song my mate Phil and I had moshed our way up the Wembley pitch right to the front.  They were played on one of the music channels a bit that summer and Phil and me are in the video jumping up and down (along with 50,000 others!)

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »

As a 12 year old I was introduced to 'music' by a good school friend, prior to this I had only bought the odd stock aitken and waterman pile of tosh which in hindsight is a long way from said 'music'.

The first two bands that I remember having on a c-90 were James and Carter USM. Both hold a dear place in my heart, James are timeless, plenty of good stuff from Tim booth on you tube, full sets from recent years sound just as good as bk in the day. Carter may not be everyones cup of tea but

I was going to post you tube clips of the courteeners doing what took you so long into James' tomorrow although it is not working

Would of also posted jimbob and fruitbat just doing what they did, messing around and having fun.... oh dear, i am now 1/100 to spend the next 30mins on you tube listen to a few classics!

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: