blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hmmm
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hmmm  (Read 2702 times)
smurf

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »

Please don't read this as a dig at DTD as it isn't  and I really don't like to post any negative slant but this just seems wrong to me - Just wondered what the general feeling on this is

Just noticed a latest promotion...final table the live xxl and the online mini for a £1000 bonus

Ok so the money is great...but actively looking for live players to all be sat on their iPads etc round the table...is this where poker is heading

I know some do it anyway but surely live poker should not become ipad city with no one really speaking to each other

Am I out of touch??? Views???
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:17:17 AM »

at any tournament these days might you not see a majority of players on some device or another when playing live?

watching films, listening to music, on a phone etc etc

sign of the times innit?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »

agree with both of the above.

Really don't like encouraging it, but also accept that it's part of the game and if people want to glue themselves to a screen and miss information and interaction, more fool them.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »

Not just at the poker tables - working on a job the other day and people sat next to each were texting/emailing each other questions even though they were in the same room - fifty years time the art of conversation will be long gone
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

As the inaugral winner of this promotion (thin) I would like to strongly disagree (wouldnt I). I was sat next to another player also playing and we had additional banter, both together and with others throughout the night. Obviously I was the one enjoying the sweat, but many others became involved and it turned into a fun night, with zero interruption to the general play.

Indeed I was easily able to play my live hands within the 20 second shot clock allowance..... involve myself in table (and off table) banter...... and click a few on line buttons!........... And make two final tables.

Only downside is I didnt play to win, I played like a sattelite and thus didnt go as deep as I might have done Wink

One final point is there really arent that many people taking advantage of this very generous offer by DTD.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:05:47 PM by blueace » Logged
Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »

I played one of the UKPC satellites whilst also playing the live satellite at the club a few months back.

One scenario that did cross my mind, a few hours in and the empty seat to my left was filled by a new player who perched his laptop down on the table to his left.

He was also playing the online sat at the same time.  We had a quick chat and exchanged online names.  Luckily, we weren't on the same table on Partypoker.

I was playing on an iPad, and it did make me think, if we were on the same table online, I would really struggle to conceal my hole cards online, and I imagine vice-versa for him.

The more players that play for this promotion, the more likely this scenario will occur.

blueace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »

Probably not a major issue, as the amount playing isnt that high, most have phones that are harder to see, and the chances being on the table etc etc.

It seems to me that those that hide behind headphones and pads when playing probably arent going to float my boat conversationally anyway?

In summary I dont think technology harms poker or affects levels of banter or table talk, as its mostly small talk between hands..
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »

Maybe we'll start to see more of these on poker devices, I have one for my corporate laptop:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/3MScreens_EU/Home/Products/ProdCatalogue/~/Filters-and-Protectors/Privacy-Filters/Easy-On-Privacy-Filter?N=8703165&rt=c3
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: