blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  If you don't know bout me
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you don't know bout me  (Read 61792 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »

you seem to be able to consistently post solid months. The way to a huge roll is constant, steady wins, nice one.

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »

Thanks man, I'd like to think that I can control the consistency of results through strong mental game, stoplosses, general discipline and attitude but I think (especially in PLO) variance is just too big of a factor to take credit for that. Def a lot of run good lately, and run good that doesn't really show up in any graphs/results. I'd like to see my avg equity flopped in 3/4bet pots somehow. Really feel a lot of tricky spots just become easy when you're consistently flopping 40%+, and like at the beginning of the year you can see from my results, a lot more variance due to maybe running bad range/range in tons of spots leading to big tilt. Running bad can take many forms and I think AIEV is a really overrated metric and is prob the one that is easiest to intrinsically attach your ability too. Think I'm winning at 25bb/100 at 5/10 this year evbb about the same and breaking even at 1/2 with an ev winrate of 5bb. No one in the world is beating 5/10 for 25 (especially me) but at the same time I think I'm def better than breakeven 1/2 player.
I'd like to think I'm a consistent solid winner, but really I'm only as consistent as variance lets me be, and I'm putting nowhere near enough volume in to get an accurate idea of my true winrates.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »

Nice results buddy. As you were saying impossible to actually tell what win rate is as the sample size will never be big enough and by the time it is you and the rest of the pool will have fluctuated in abilities a tonne without even regarding the mental state you are in. I was just wondering when you get into a hand what is your thought process like? Do you take your time and think through a lot of things or just gut? I've tried a few different things but none of them seem to have stuck. Because the one I have used most recently is just simple: my range, their range and then think of who has the ev advantage and then make decisions off that with reads added in if I have any. What does yours look like? if you don't mind answering obviously.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »

Great question, I'm not really sure how to answer this but I'll give it a shot. I think the answer to this is that the work you do off the table should lead you to making easier decisions and having a more "simplistic" thought process during actually playing. Ranges are huge in plo, board texture shifts are often and knowing how the value of your hand will change, how often we will have a top 99-90 percentile hand, 70/50 etc on all the run outs is important when constructing your action decisions. Knowing how ranges interact with diff boards, how ranges interact vs each other on diff boards and how actual hand value interacts with our overall range, then how that interacts with opponents range leads you being able to kinda autopilot decisions. Thinking about all this in game in going to cause (for me anyway) some absurd decision tree where I'm just going to be making mistakes and expending huge amounts of brain effort. This is where the off the table work is so key.

So my basic thought process would be:
What is our range?
What does our range look like?
what is our opponents range?
How do preflop actions define both sets of ranges?
What is the texture of the flop? (static/dynamic/heavy/light etc)
How does our range interact with it? (our value and blockers)
What are the possible runouts for this board, and how should this help define our flop strategy?
Same for the turn as previous 3
How have the actions on previous streets helped to define both sets of ranges?
What do all these mean for our opponents range and how he plays it?

A lot of these are intuitive (you may think of them differently but pretty much everyone thinks of them in some way or another).

KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2016, 01:57:17 AM »

Great question, I'm not really sure how to answer this but I'll give it a shot. I think the answer to this is that the work you do off the table should lead you to making easier decisions and having a more "simplistic" thought process during actually playing. Ranges are huge in plo, board texture shifts are often and knowing how the value of your hand will change, how often we will have a top 99-90 percentile hand, 70/50 etc on all the run outs is important when constructing your action decisions. Knowing how ranges interact with diff boards, how ranges interact vs each other on diff boards and how actual hand value interacts with our overall range, then how that interacts with opponents range leads you being able to kinda autopilot decisions. Thinking about all this in game in going to cause (for me anyway) some absurd decision tree where I'm just going to be making mistakes and expending huge amounts of brain effort. This is where the off the table work is so key.

So my basic thought process would be:
What is our range?
What does our range look like?
what is our opponents range?
How do preflop actions define both sets of ranges?
What is the texture of the flop? (static/dynamic/heavy/light etc)
How does our range interact with it? (our value and blockers)
What are the possible runouts for this board, and how should this help define our flop strategy?
Same for the turn as previous 3
How have the actions on previous streets helped to define both sets of ranges?
What do all these mean for our opponents range and how he plays it?

A lot of these are intuitive (you may think of them differently but pretty much everyone thinks of them in some way or another).

Good stuff mate, cheers. While we're on the big picture stuff, what mental challenges do you think you've faced when playing poker or has it always been fairly plain sailing in terms of emotional responses, going with flow of game etc?
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »

The only challenge I think I've actually faced on that front would be the when I first started out playing, having poker as my only source of income, playing micro stakes and having to fend for myself. That pressure you put yourself under in that situation is incredibly stressful and counter productive. If anyone ever asked me what to do when they first started out it would to be always get a part time job and play on the side till you earn enough from poker that all your monthly out goings are 5BI<. Having to win and then withdraw 10/20/30 BI just to survive while trying to move up stakes is incredibly tough, all the while you should be paying for coaching etc. You put yourself under immense pressure and (even though it didn't happen to me) I can imagine it would kill a lot of people's passion for the game. Kinda like Lil Dave said in one of the blogs, poker should be go hobby>passion>profession. At the end of the day if you're going to get out of bed every day for x amount of years to do the same thing over and over again you gotta love that thing. Killing the love for the game off in the first few months/years is such a waste of the beauty and depth of poker.

Maybe another mental challenge I faced would be laziness. Think this was mainly due to thinking poker would last forever and the fact I bumhunted HU for a few years. Seeing 500/1k running everyday, coupled with the fact I was printing with 0 variance (think I had 85 winning days in a row once) just put a huge dent in my ambitions for constant self improvement, which is (especially nowadays) every pro should strive for. I think this is just a general trend with all pros who have played for 5-10 years, wishing they'd put more effort in when games are good.

Also (maybe linked to point 1) realising that short term results aren't particularly important. Anyone can run good for 100/200k hands so stressing about how bad you've run one day/week/month is pretty silly, but I've yet to find a way round it that isn't beating myself up about looking at HEM every day.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »

i turned AIEV off on my PT for 2 whole years, on Gavz advice, was fantastic, didnt know how well or bad i'd run so i didn't care.

Then one horrible day it broke me and I had to look, online poker died for me that day.

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »

i turned AIEV off on my PT for 2 whole years, on Gavz advice, was fantastic, didnt know how well or bad i'd run so i didn't care.

Then one horrible day it broke me and I had to look, online poker died for me that day.

That's pretty impressive. I wish they did a version of HEM that didn't include it at all.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »

That's pretty impressive. I wish they did a version of HEM that didn't include it at all.

Just be strong!

If you want we can do a bet or next year, go the whole year without turning on AIEV and I'll donate £500 to a charity of your choice, conversely if you break you have to donate £25 to charity everytime you look Smiley

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

It seems to me that if you're running bad you must be playing good.

The older I get, the better I was.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2016, 02:51:20 AM »

Hey guys,

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Mine was quite hectic. First me and missus went to Paris for a nice weekend away. Weather was shit and there were lots of armed men patrolling but it's one of my favorite cities to visit and I think it's impossible to be bored there. Did a spot of Christmas shopping, ate some nice food, went ice skating in the palace (which was fantastic even though I skate like a baby giraffe) and just the general touristy stuff. During the meal on the first night we got chatting to a very nice Swiss man who was helping us translate to the waitress who spoke very little English, which was a nightmare because I'm useless at French. Conversation turned to jobs and after finding out he was some absolute baller (something to do with insurance) we got talking poker. I've never seen someone so enthusiastic talking about something as he did with poker. Showed me loads of pictures of his home games with his friends. Was so refreshing to see someone so passionate and excited about poker, took me back to when I used to play .5p/10p games till 7am at Uni. Made me think about how we as pros should act at the table in live settings. Stoking the fires of passion for amateurs who are using their free time to do something they enjoy should be a priority of every professional.

Back home we then did Christmas day dinner for 6 which went way better/smoother than I thought it would be. Managed to not kill anyone and they all seemed to have a good time. Then traveled a few hundred miles in the next couple of days seeing family in various parts of the country. It's been nice to get back home and into the usual routine the last couple of days.

Poker has been ok, volume low due to the above and below but games are always amazing in December so I don't mind playing less tables and cherry picking great spots.
 Click to see full-size image.

The coaching I'm having has been going great. Had maybe 3/4 aha moments in the last few weeks, a couple through purely maths based approach but also a couple from taking a step back from population tendencies and looking at if everyone played purely exploitatively /GTO and working backwards to what people are doing now. Few things have come up where nearly everyone (maybe 1/2 players exempt) is playing so far away from GTO in basically solved spots.
I've pulled the trigger on some more coaching, this time purely mixed games. Having set some goals for next year (see below) I'm going to give myself the best chance of hitting them if I can play all the games to a good standard. From talking and seeing some principle work on a couple of the games it seems people play very bad. Probably because the information doesn't exist in the open. Past old books and training videos there is hardly anything out there and there's not enough interest in getting deep in the maths for the players that do play (barring Trueteller/Sauce etc)

This year has been a pretty good one overall poker wise. Plo game is really coming along and have made pretty much what I set out to make. Only blight on the year is a site going down which I had $28k stuck on. Really stung and I'd say I have less than 5% to see any of the money back. Kinda the pitfalls of playing on non mainstream sites but risk/reward wise I think it's always better to play on them than not.

Goals for 2017

Win something!
Anything really, but taking down a WSOP event or a SCOOP event is pretty much the dream. WSOP bracelet is I think what a lot of people wanted when they first started playing. To be on ESPN, in the magazines, front page of Pokernews etc. After grinding cash all these years I don't really have anything to show normal people (they don't care about graphs) and I think it'd be nice for my family to be able to attach something tangible to my poker "career" after the lifetime of disappointment they currently have.

Play more live
Specifically plo and mix games. I'd wager a large amount of money that in any live game I've ever played not one opponent has spent more than 1 hour in pokerjuice and other software working on their game. They haven't done the maths, they don't know how to do the maths and they don't care. Pot limit Badugi/|Super stud and other games that come up in the live mix are so infantile in their development in theory they are just a goldmine to play if you know what to work on. Plus they are exceptionally fun and you meet some great characters/friends in a live setting. Live plo will always be great imo. It's so easy to play preflop badly, and impossible for players making these mistakes to not have a snowball effect on later streets.

Just play more
Volume has been horrendous this year. Playing zoom its easy to knock out 5k hands a day, but so much harder on normal tables. Have taken a very unprofessional amount of days off this year, prioritising poker should be top of the agenda given the current climate.

Study every day
I think every day that I play I'm going to split into 2 and have the morning session just be pure theory work.

Start coaching
Not sure on this one 100% yet. I'm awful at explaining things but if I get a solid program together I'd like to give something back to other players. I've had a lot of coaching myself and have benefited from it immeasurably from it. Plus you can't knock variance free money.

Hope everyone has had a great year and has an even better 2017.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 02:56:56 AM by POWWWWWWWW » Logged
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »

Nice update, have to say this is becoming one of the best blogs on blonde, please keep it up in 2017.

Have a great New Year!
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »

Thanks man! You too.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2017, 05:17:10 AM »

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well, haven't updated recently as nothing interesting has really happened. Still been grinding away in the usual games, online PLO has been going decently and I swear the population is getting worse. There's a couple new sites about to be opened and games are great pretty much everywhere barring Stars. Still having coaching but that'll be coming to an end in the next few weeks (plo coaching anyway). This is where the hard work starts. I'll have all the info and data and it's just applying it to my own game in a way which helps me to play at a consistently good level all the time. Being able to auto pilot playing your A game is the holy grail of online poker.
Played a little bit of live poker at DTD. I'm really not enjoying live 6 card full ring plo. All the decisions are purely equity driven, I just find it mind numbing at times. Even if 4 card was the main game I'd be more motivated to play but 6 card isn't really for me. Maybe if some bigger games kickoff during the Millions I might play. I'm also aiming to be shot taking some bigger zoom games around SCOOP time, which may be one of the only time it runs this year. So April/May time will probably determine how the whole year goes. If it goes as well as the beginning then I'm prob back off to Vegas dream chasing again!

From this blog compared to others (Pads,Alex etc) it may seem like I have no life outside of poker, which is 100% accurate. So you'll have to make do with some vague plan for the year and a graph till I can think of something interesting to say.

GL at the tables!
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2017, 02:48:00 AM »

Hey guys,

Pretty pumped for the Millions event that starts at DTD next week. Got a few mates coming up from down south that are staying me and we're all playing the main, maybe a couple of side events and lots of golf. Had my first golf lesson last Friday and have been grinding the range every day since. Played at Bawtry course on Monday and shot 104. I've shot under 100 like twice lifetime, so was pretty pleased for my first round in 4~ years. Going to be hitting it pretty hard this summer and am aiming to shoot under 90 before September. Will prob play the golf day run by DTD on Wednesday, lemme know if anyone reading this is. Got 5 more lessons booked in and currently window shopping for some new clubs. The ones I've got now are hand me downs, bit of a mish mash so will be nice to get a new fresh set. Any golfers got some recommendations for beginner/intermediate clubs?

I've got around 350k in the Millions main, which is way below the 1m buyin stack for day 1. Got a few $675 credits to play over the weekend and maybe a live one at DTD to try and spin up a bigger stack. Although with the blinds rolling back to 5k bb 350k isn't anything to panic at and we'll still get tons of play. I know the DTD/Party guys have worked really hard on this so hoping it's a huge success, pretty cool to have such a huge tournament series right on your doorstep. Have set a small portion of the roll aside for whatever cash games are running. Will play up to 10/20 or 25/50 if the min buyin is less than 5k. Take a few buyin shots at the games, see what happens. I suspect there may be a huge gap in the cash game stakes though, maybe something like 2/5 and 25/50+ running and nothing in between. Been doing quite a bit of pre mixed game coaching work, which has included a lot of 5/6 card plo work, but I don't think it really helps that much in live games. Just gotta play well and embrace the variance. The coaching starts in a couple of weeks. Just in time for SCOOP, and we're doing specific weeks for specific tourneys that are happening. Really excited for the next couple of months. Got a bit of the tourney bug again while playing Millions sats, so going to be playing a nice full schedule of everything $1k<. Maybe shot take the higher PLO comps and ideally would love to play the 10k 8 game but would be a silly thing to do. Really enjoying tourneys through twitch as well. One of my oldest friends in poker has built up a great stream from the bottom up. His names Spraggy and if you haven't seen his channel I implore you to check it out. He's a very funny, witty guy, just perfect for streaming. He's also not too bad at poker and has had some great results recently.

Online has been going steady, back in the NL streets every now and again. Battling a bit of HU and 6 max, to go with the PLO as well. Action is still fairly good and it looks like games on Stars are picking up a bit as well. Really hope some zoom runs around SCOOP.

I'll be posting more golf stuff including videos of my play etc in the coming weeks, be nice to get some feedback from all you golfers out there.

If people are interested I'll post daily updates from the Millions, tourney/cash HH etc, if not see you in a couple of months.

GL at the tables everyone.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:49:37 AM by POWWWWWWWW » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: