blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:25:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272586 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Ramblings of an Old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ramblings of an Old man  (Read 21068 times)
Jac

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2015, 01:20:10 AM »

Hi

I've kept a diary on Sky for some time now. End of the season and they've just let me go on a free. I'm in good company. My team has let the amazingly good Jamie Ward leave this week. (Actually he's shit)

These days I play all my online poker on Sky, with the thrill a minute dyms as my main game. I've played nearly 10k dyms on there over the last 3 years and I'm proud to say that I'm still relatively sane. About 18 months ago I moved up to the £16.50 and £22 games as my regular stake with occasional £33's and £55's thrown in, if the line up is good.

I've had reasonably decent results although I've had a rubbish last 6 months of over a 1000 games where I've been close to breakeven. My roi has dropped to 7.8% but I guess that's still ok. Not too much time free to play mtts right now and I'm playing a fair bit of cash at nl30 and 50.

I've a lot to thank Sky for. I caught the tail end of the SPTs and played in 3 of them. From there I've made some really good poker friends. I notice a few Sky players post on here. Natalie (dinglebelle) Paul (lambert180) Kev (shipitgood)

It's a shame the SPTs aren't running right now but we do now have tournaments arranged by forum members. There was one at Newcastle last month and there's one arranged for Milton Keynes in June. They're only £50 buy in comps but the weekends are more about meeting up and having a few drinks, with a bit of poker thrown in as well. Good fun.

Live poker is my real love. Unlike most people these days it's where I started.
I was taken to Gala Notts by a good friend, Dave Wojcik, maybe 14 years ago and became addicted. A £20 pot limit rebuy was my first game. I remember Ali Ahmed dealing and Rob Creed and Orlando on my table. I wasn't very good but I did learn quickly.
When Dtd opened I was there 2/3 nights a week. I've been reading blonde for years and recognise many of the posters from DTD. I was always a bit quiet and was just one of those guys that people nodded to but didn't know their name.

I got married and now I'm a newish dad. My son, Harry, is now 15 months old and so live poker is rare these days. I do make the occasional trip into Derby to play on Sunday nights. Having never played poker drunk in my life, I have found myself more than a little tipsy at Derby Genting on a number of occasions. I feel pretty embarrassed about it. I average probably about 5 pints a week normally but it's amazing how much you can get through sitting at a table for 10 hours. Always regret it the next day. Being probably viewed as that tedious chatty drunk who thinks he's funny doesn't sit well with me.

I've loved reading blonde for a long time now. I thought the updates that Rich used to do absolutely brilliant. I've occasionally posted, mainly on the old blokes thread. In truth I've been a little intimidated by you all. Some amazing players on here. I'm a profitable player, but very average really. I'm certainly finding it harder these days. Also, I tend to ramble on about anything and on here there are a few people a lot smarter than me who already do that wonderfully well.

Nearly forgot to tell you my name. I share it with another poker player. The number of times the floor have tried to shift me from my seat and the rest of the table have sighed with relief and welcomed me when they've realised I'm on the right table! Hendon Mob have kindly given him my biggest win. To ensure that people know who he's talking about, Tikay kindly refers to me as Paul 'Not the poker player' Jackson.

If you'll have me, I'd like to post more on here. Just don't ask me about what went wrong with Derby! Still a bit sore on that one 😄
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »

1st!

And I'm also a fellow Derby fan... For my sins

Good Luck with the diary
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »

I'm from uttoxeter myself so have had my share of drunken poker, but tend to stick to dtd now.

Being from there also means the majority of my family, as derby fans, are still in disbelief... As a stoke fan I find it all pretty comical Wink

Good luck with the diary!

Feed em rice.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »

Welcome and good luck with the diary!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »

Subscribe!

Welcome! Look forward to this.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »

Hi Paul (NTPP)

You do know me from next door (Landlord of AL's Bar!).

I wish you well with your diary on here as I really did enjoy reading all your early stuff next door. I read a handful of diaries on here....Tikay's, Nat's, Jeeves and occasionally others like Larson's and lambo's.

Have you now finished your diary on Sky?

"Being probably viewed as that tedious chatty drunk who thinks he's funny doesn't sit well with me."

The above quote bemuses me slightly. You are a member of a team whose sole purpose (for the majority) is to do this exact thing at the unofficial live tours now. I honestly believe this is one of the main reasons that the SPT's were discontinued. I mean in general terms, not attributing that to your team ofc. I am hopefully being too much of a pessimist and hope these w/ends are a success out of respect to the people organising  them all. We will see.

Anyway.....hope to read more of your fascinating 'old' stories here.

Oh...as a Stoke fan too......good luck in the play offs! (please insert year when you get there)  Roll Eyes Cool

(PS.you can have a field day here with smilies)

Life has no rebuy options
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »

Thanks for the welcome chaps

Poker so far this month has been fairly typical of the year to date. I played during the day last Friday and lost around £230. Played really badly in truth. 5 buy in losses are hardly rare but I was gifting people my money. Since then I've knuckled down a bit and am up around £70 and have about £50 to come so far in rakeback.

I know this is totally backwards and is really stupid after all these years but....I hate losing days. What could easily be a small loss can sometimes become a big one because I've continued to play when I'm not playing well.
While when I've won early in a session, I often just stop and collect the win. The other night I won 9 out of 11 dym and was nicely over a £100 up within an hour. This is clearly the time when I should carry on, when I'm playing and running well. But I stopped.
One day I'll sort that.

I feel that I'm slowly getting back into form with the dyms and I've been a bit smarter with game selection. Maybe it's arrogant but I normally just start the lobby for each game and don't mind who I play. Just recently I've been taking a bit more care and if I see 2/3 good regs already there then I've skipped that game.
Just for clarification. Newcastle last month was the very 1st unofficial Sky event. It was a roaring succes. Everybody had a few drinks on the Friday night. There were no bitter people there, just a bunch of happy souls enjoying themselves. The Spts ended well before my present Sky 'team' was formed.
The Friday night didn't start all that well for me. I ordered some food and nipped out for a smoke before it arrived. The lady I was with finished her fag and chucked it and then unusually for me, I did the same. I don't normally litter. As I walked back into the Gate I had a tap on my shoulder. Some council guy had seen me drop the fag and wanted to issue me a £75 fine. He asked if I had any id and for once I did. As I'm a dunce I gave him my details. If I'd been a bit quicker thinking, I could have just said "no id. My names Rex and I'm from Barnsley" not sure that they could have done anything then. What really annoyed me was that he kept telling me that I was on camera. Of course I was annoyed but I wasn't thinking of lamping him.

As you can imagine, my friends were very sympathetic and didn't take the piss at all! They already has enough to go on as Derby were much to my dismay losing at Wolves.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:19:39 PM by Jac » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

Good to see this Diary started, & for regular blondes, I'll do a little intro, as Paul keeps or kept a Diary Next Door.

Paul Jackson aka NTTP ("Not The Poker Player") writes a Diary with great balance, it usually comprises.....

A brief poker summary, nothing to make the eyes bleed though, no "so the flop came" stuff.

Discusses his golf, & golf handicap. (Rising). He plays at Derbyshire courses such as Horsley Lodge I believe.

Chats about his wife, Penny, & bonny lad, Harry, who is 18 months old. Quite a story with young Harry, who gave us all a monster scare early doors, but is fit & well now.

Discusses Derby County.

Gets grumpy from time to time. 

Pretty sure this will be a great Diary, just as several others from Next Door who have migrated across are - Natterley Bromley, Kev "shipitgood", Paul Lambert etc. 

Good luck Paul.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

Paul has the dubious honour of playing a cash pot against me up in Newcastle a few years ago for, if my memory serves me correct, the fat end of £2,000. Which, for me, was huge.

I had 4 bet him I think, & he set me all-in. With Jacks. J-J. Against ME.

Total lack of respect. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »

I saw mention in the OP of Rob Creed, back in the Gala Notts days., good Lord, who remembers him?

We called him "Big Rob", he was quite a big unit, but he was a real any two cards sort.

He was a Member here for a while, but I think the lads tugged his tail & bit, & he disappeared.

Can't quite recall what line of business he was in - may have been selling vans, or 'phones, or similar. Wheeler & dealer, anyway.

Anyone know what happened to him?

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:26:50 PM »

I saw mention in the OP of Rob Creed, back in the Gala Notts days., good Lord, who remembers him?

We called him "Big Rob", he was quite a big unit, but he was a real any two cards sort.

He was a Member here for a while, but I think the lads tugged his tail & bit, & he disappeared.

Can't quite recall what line of business he was in - may have been selling vans, or 'phones, or similar. Wheeler & dealer, anyway.

Rob Creed is Fran's dad!

Your physical description and your description of the way Rob plays make me think you are thinking about the wrong person Teeks.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

Rob Creed is Fran's dad!

Your physical description and your description of the way Rob plays make me think you are thinking about the wrong person Teeks.

Oh of course, my apologies, different chap entirely.

I was thinking of Big Rob who played at Gala now and then, but mainly Walsall, J10.

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

Bumped into Rob at the Alea 4/5/6 PLO thingy a few months ago. He was a on course bookie, think he works at Alea now?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »

You forgot to mention the burger and wedges you'd ordered before heading out for that fateful £75 cigarette. Said burger and wedges were pecked at whilst your naughty arse was being dealt with outside.

In my defence, I did ring you, and the lady in tow, to inform you of the waiting food, but alas there was no reply. I just hate to see food go cold, my stomach would never forgive me. I look forward to your food order at the next live event Smiley

All the best with this, and full credit to you for the highly original title.

Best Bitter.
Jac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »

I play golf at Horsley Lodge. As was mentioned above, my handicap is not what it once was. In fact, it's doubled in the last few years. Quite hard to do. Just gone up to 10 in the 1st medal of the season.
Need to sort it all out as I'm going to the Algarve for a week for my 40th.
I did do a bit of research and think I'm playing some nice courses. If anyone has played these then please tell me what you thought.

Vale de lobo (Ocean)
Vale de lobo (Royal)
Pennina
Palmares
There's one other but I can't remember it just now.
Schoolboy error last night. Played one of the Vegas sats on Sky last night. The intention was just to take the cash. When I was pretty much locked I wandered over to the lobby for the next sat only to find out that you couldn't register yet.
Sky is a bit odd in that in order to take the cash rather than play then you have to register in advance. They then see that you're already regged and credit you the cash. And then you can just de-reg.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: