blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  "Do you begrudge paying BBC licence fee?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do you begrudge paying BBC licence fee?"  (Read 7729 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »

If sky forced everyone to subscribe by law then their monthly fee would be a lot lower as well.   You can't compare the two.  If BBC was subscription then I would pay for it as I like their output but I resent the fact I am forced to subscribe under threat of imprisonment.

Nobody's forced to buy it. If you don't record or watch any programs as they're broadcast you don't need a licence. Unfortunately it includes the non-BBC channels as well.

If you only watch catch-up services or things like Netflix then you can just cancel your licence.

If I only watch sky sports I still need to pay the BBC though?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 02:17:23 PM »

If sky forced everyone to subscribe by law then their monthly fee would be a lot lower as well.   You can't compare the two.  If BBC was subscription then I would pay for it as I like their output but I resent the fact I am forced to subscribe under threat of imprisonment.

Nobody's forced to buy it. If you don't record or watch any programs as they're broadcast you don't need a licence. Unfortunately it includes the non-BBC channels as well.

If you only watch catch-up services or things like Netflix then you can just cancel your licence.

Yes you do. That's why it's so shit!!

Basically any TV that you watch whilst it's being broadcast no matter who's broadcasting it.

You can listen to BBC radio 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. and watch BBC iPlayer as much as you want and not have a licence.

You watch Sky Sports for 30 seconds and you have to give the BBC their 150 odd quid.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »

BBC has the best rep in the world for impartiality.

seriously good value.

would decriminalise though, make it a civil matter.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »

Yes you do. That's why it's so shit!!

Basically any TV that you watch whilst it's being broadcast no matter who's broadcasting it.

You can listen to BBC radio 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. and watch BBC iPlayer as much as you want and not have a licence.

You watch Sky Sports for 30 seconds and you have to give the BBC their 150 odd quid.

This is the on,y problem I have with the system.  Surely when you pay for your sky Bill every month part of that fee goes towards the bbc channels ? So effectively it feels like you are paying twice for the same service.

As for the product itself and what it funds it is cracking value for money IMO. It is just the 'paying twice for it' feel when you have a full sky package which makes it slightly tilting.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »

Is is it really value for money?   If you add up the total fee and take it out of government expenditure instead would you say the same?  Would you want a government department to send 4/5 times as many staff to the World Cup when compared to commercial rivals?  People only say its value because they look at them own outlay, not the total cost to the population.   This doesn't mean I don't think the output is good though.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »

I don't pay for it.

Don't have an aerial plugged into my TV and everything watched is on catchup as i dont need to see it live. Most stuff I watch is downloaded anyway. I even tend to download stuff thats on Channel 4 etc so I can avoid the adverts.

If I want to watch something live it tends to be sport so I'll either go the pub or to my grandparents lol!
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »

Other channels don't escape dung fire either mind.  Sky putting up my subs so they can pay Henry millions for his bland observations enrages me.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »

Is is it really value for money?   If you add up the total fee and take it out of government expenditure instead would you say the same?  Would you want a government department to send 4/5 times as many staff to the World Cup when compared to commercial rivals?  People only say its value because they look at them own outlay, not the total cost to the population.   This doesn't mean I don't think the output is good though.

If you said to me I had to pay 50p a day to ŵatch the daily politics, bbc news, news night ( shame paxman has gone however) and use their website I would snap your hand off.  Never mind all the other stuff you get.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »

Totally worth it just for the BBC website, which is the official "Is my internet working test site'
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

Other channels don't escape dung fire either mind.  Sky putting up my subs so they can pay Henry millions for his bland observations enrages me.

He has been massively average after his incredible promo build up for weeks prior to his first appearance. Much prefer souness and red nev.  Wish they wouldn't just save souness for the champs league.  He is their best pundit by a mile and should replace red knapp on the weekly super Sunday.  Maybe he doesn't want or need the weekly commitment.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »

Yes. I begrudge it because it's so difficult, if not impossible to opt out. it's not good enough that you don't watch it. you have to disable your equipment so that you can't receive it. how the F*** do you do that?

The older I get, the better I was.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:40 PM »

Yes. I begrudge it because it's so difficult, if not impossible to opt out. it's not good enough that you don't watch it. you have to disable your equipment so that you can't receive it. how the F*** do you do that?

Can't be that hard even Sharples manages it Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »

No you don't Tom. People think you do hence the reason they keep paying it rather than face a criminal record.

That's my issue with it, 99.9% of the population don't even know that there's a real option out there.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »

No you don't Tom. People think you do hence the reason they keep paying it rather than face a criminal record.

That's my issue with it, 99.9% of the population don't even know that there's a real option out there.

So what do I have to do Matt, just tell them I don't watch it? surely everyone would do that.

The older I get, the better I was.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »

So what do I have to do Matt, just tell them I don't watch it? surely everyone would do that.

I tell them I dont watch it and remove the aerial lead that connects the wall socket to my TV.

Once a year a guy turns up unannounced, knocks on the door, checks that the wall socket has no aerial in it, and leaves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: