blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 933 934 935 936 [937] 938 939 940 941 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2195788 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14040 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:04 AM »

Just saying lads, might be time to stop the petty squabbling and start taking this canned peaches idea seriously.

I agree but for some reason I’m particularly amused by the idiocy of it all today. Maybe we could try and work out how many poor and vulnerable people will be killed by Austerity 2.0 (not that Austerity 1.0 ever stopped) to get back on track?

Back to this nonsense of Tories deliberately  killing our population eh?

Bit early for Stella.

There have been cuts in spending to protect the vulnerable and NHS spending needs to increase above inflation to deal with an ageing population.  You can add in the staffing issues deliberately caused by choosing to leave the EU (I am sure in Patrick Minford's model the Land Rover workers of Solihull will be getting on their bikes to instantaneously get jobs in the care homes of London).

The stats show that the ongoing life expectancy improvement that was previously a feature of all our lifetimes has stalled over the last few years.

Real people have been dying at much higher rates than expected, and it may just be a blip, but it seems pretty likely it is a result of Government policies.   If it doesn't make a difference, why don't we just chop NHS spending in half?

I accept a lot of people are going to die regardless, and maybe you can't pin all these hundreds of thousands of extra deaths on the current Government, but to just dismiss it as nonsense seems a stretch in the circumstances.  The Government are certainly fucking things up a few things quite royally right now.  I accept a lot of it is mere incompetence and not deliberate, though that doesn't really excuse it.  

Cheers

Trouble is Doobs, Kush has form in this area of using these stats as an aggressive and confrontational attack, inferring that a legitimate fiscal policy from a main stream UK party is a deliberate attempt to kill our population.

It was bang out of order before and it still is.

It’s not a confrontational attack, it’s just an observation of reality, it might be that fiscal policy that kills the poor and vulnerable is the best way to run the 6th richest country in the world. We should all be ashamed of ourselves if it is though. People who vote Conservative should be more ashamed and people who troll the internet to support it should be even more ashamed.

The reason people laugh at you is when you start with the sanctimonious shite like this. Ashamed lol, like voting for an embarrassment to politics like JC who will never win an election is anything to be proud of.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: September 23, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »

Just saying lads, might be time to stop the petty squabbling and start taking this canned peaches idea seriously.

I agree but for some reason I’m particularly amused by the idiocy of it all today. Maybe we could try and work out how many poor and vulnerable people will be killed by Austerity 2.0 (not that Austerity 1.0 ever stopped) to get back on track?

Bit early for Stella.

There have been cuts in spending to protect the vulnerable and NHS spending needs to increase above inflation to deal with an ageing population.  You can add in the staffing issues deliberately caused by choosing to leave the EU (I am sure in Patrick Minford's model the Land Rover workers of Solihull will be getting on their bikes to instantaneously get jobs in the care homes of London).

The stats show that the ongoing life expectancy improvement that was previously a feature of all our lifetimes has stalled over the last few years.

Real people have been dying at much higher rates than expected, and it may just be a blip, but it seems pretty likely it is a result of Government policies.   If it doesn't make a difference, why don't we just chop NHS spending in half?

I accept a lot of people are going to die regardless, and maybe you can't pin all these hundreds of thousands of extra deaths on the current Government, but to just dismiss it as nonsense seems a stretch in the circumstances.  The Government are certainly fucking things up a few things quite royally right now.  I accept a lot of it is mere incompetence and not deliberate, though that doesn't really excuse it.  

Cheers

Trouble is Doobs, Kush has form in this area of using these stats as an aggressive and confrontational attack, inferring that a legitimate fiscal policy from a main stream UK party is a deliberate attempt to kill our population.

It’s not a confrontational attack, it’s just an observation of reality, it might be that fiscal policy that kills the poor and vulnerable is the best way to run the 6th richest country in the world. We should all be ashamed of ourselves if it is though. People who vote Conservative should be more ashamed and people who troll the internet to support it should be even more ashamed.

The reason people laugh at you is when you start with the sanctimonious shite like this. Ashamed lol, like voting for an embarrassment to politics like JC who will never win an election is anything to be proud of.

It’s a serious conversation, not one for the trolls. You are laughing at proof that austerity kills the poor and vulnerable? Nice.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: September 23, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

It’s a serious conversation, not one for the trolls. You are laughing at proof that austerity kills the poor and vulnerable? Nice.

I can’t take any of these comments seriously, it’s just momentum style trolling. Our government is never setting out to kill anyone...
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: September 23, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

I’m not trolling anyone, just giving a genuine opinion that I disagree with what you say and the way you say it.

You are back to trying to hold the moral high ground which is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:16:48 AM by RickBFA » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: September 23, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

I can’t take any of these comments seriously, it’s just momentum style trolling. Our government is never setting out to kill anyone...

They didn’t intend it, they’ve done it though and it’s amazing that they seemingly didn’t know it would happen. Still, I bet employment figures will look a little better if the poor and vulnerable are dead.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: September 23, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

I’m not trolling anyone, just giving a genuine opinion that a disagree with what you say and the way you say it.

You are not a troll, Mantis is, Woodsey is. We are just people who disagree. Why is it ridiculous that the person who disagrees with killing the poor and vulnerable should occupy the moral high ground?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: September 23, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

They didn’t intend it, they’ve done it though and it’s amazing that they seemingly didn’t know it would happen. Still, I bet employment figures will look a little better if the poor and vulnerable are dead.

You sound more ridiculous with each post, thanks for giving me a good laugh this morning though by trotting out your momentum/Owen Jones lines 
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

I’m not trolling anyone, just giving a genuine opinion that a disagree with what you say and the way you say it.

You are not a troll, Mantis is, Woodsey is. We are just people who disagree. Why is it ridiculous that the person who disagrees with killing the poor and vulnerable should occupy the moral high ground?

#Momentumtroll. Are you also one of those numpties trotting out the same lines after every article about the Tories on social media? 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:25 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

You seem to be conveniently ignoring the situation inherited in 2010. You must accept the biggest worldwide financial crisis since the 1930’s would have some effect on living standards whoever was in power. Even the Labour Party. But that reality doesn’t seem to register within your blinkered view of reality.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »

An indicator of how big the jump in expectancy has been in recent years is in the diagram below.  There really hadn't been a vast change in the most common date of death for nearly 100 years until recently (although the % of the population reaching that age was less).  (The modal date of death is an important indicator as it ignores infant mortality and catastrophes like epidemics and war).

Source of diagram: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthinequalities/articles/mostcommonageatdeathbysocioeconomicpositionsinenglandandwales/a30yearscomparison

This.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: September 23, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »

The flattening off in LE in the UK wasn't the only place it happened; the same effect was observed across most of Europe.

It was to different degrees, but it more indicates a wider trend rather than specifically a result of UK policies (I would have thought)

There has been some reduction in Europe, but we were already laggards in the 5 years to 2016 and now we are pretty much flat.  We didn't start from a higher than average life expectancy either, so, if anything most of Europe should flatten first.

https://www.ft.com/content/94adbcfc-7b85-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475.

Suspect Iceland is much more likely to be a blip, as they will have much less data than us, as they are a much smaller country (<1% our size) and we pretty much lead the World on investgating this kind of stuff. 

To give more flesh to the idea that austerity really is the kost likely cause, the tail off is pretty much all amongst the lower classes and poor.  The richer people's life expectenancy has carried on improving over the last 5 years.   Guess Nirvana wil be hapoy those with a good quality of life are the ones who get to enjoy it longer.

FWIW The rich/poor divide was already absolutely enormous.

and this. How can it be funny?
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14051 on: September 23, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »

Bit early for Stella.

Cheers

You seem to be conveniently ignoring the situation inherited in 2010. You must accept the biggest worldwide financial crisis since the 1930’s would have some effect on living standards whoever was in power. Even the Labour Party. But that reality doesn’t seem to register within your blinkered view of reality.

The key word is ‘worldwide’, so we have an opportunity for comparison. Look again at the LE data, it doesn’t look good for the UK.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: September 23, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »

Two senior No10 people war gamed an election on Thursday night and asked other Tories if they were available to help with the campaign. See Sunday Times

if (if) no10 genuinely thinks an election they'd probably lose could be their *best* way out of Brexit situation then god only knows how bad the Brexit situation is.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: September 23, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »

Brexit: Labour 'would back members' on new vote, says leadership

(thats if the vote gets put to them this week i suppose)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45616308

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14054 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »

Two senior No10 people war gamed an election on Thursday night and asked other Tories if they were available to help with the campaign. See Sunday Times

if (if) no10 genuinely thinks an election they'd probably lose could be their *best* way out of Brexit situation then god only knows how bad the Brexit situation is.

Well if it is going to be a disaster then best not to be in power at 31st March.  If labour are in power then they will say we have not negotiated for any of this let’s start again, there is not time for that so they would have to 1. abandon Brexit or 2. delay it neither are going to be popular.

The bigger strategic problem for Britain is how can we have a whipsaw policy over trade every 5 years when a govt changes. No one would build a factory in the uk to make cars over the next 10 years as we would be in a custom union for half the time and out of it for the rest.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 935 936 [937] 938 939 940 941 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: