blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 1474 1475 [1476] 1477 1478 1479 1480 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191693 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #22125 on: November 22, 2019, 06:14:31 PM »

I genuinely think the Labour manifesto is going to change things. It really is something else. How can you work in the public sector and not vote for them? My personal belief is that manifesto is just going to stop people from being able to go from Labour to Conservative and I think Lib Dem movers might think twice too.

I really do think Labour are going to do a lot better than people think. I am absolutely all over the over 200s at evens.

There is a widely accepted belief that successful change comes through evolution not revolution.

Corbyn is certainly going for the revolution route. The list of promises is long and financially pretty scary.

I think the public will see them as a fantasy wish list. It plays perfectly into the narrative that Labour can’t be trusted with the economy.

Judging by the reaction to it from the audience on Question Time last night, I sense the latter is the more accurate of these two takes on the manifesto.  Ultimately I think people over-estimate the impact of manifesto launches in general, and very few of the people who vote will actually read any of them.

I'm intrigued as to whether the 'costings' in this one are as tenuous as the GE17 version, where they analysed a small proportion of their plans, and shunted everything else into 'capital spend'.  Given that the basic policy is 'if we don't like it, nationalise it' I suspect it will be more of the same.

There's some interesting analysis of Labour's wording around the referendum option they're offering, as to whether it would require a 'super-majority' of 65% for Remain to prevail.  Suggestions that this has come from a shadow cabinet source, and Barry Gardiner (who else) has said similar in previous interviews.  I haven't seen the question asked outright of anyone post-manifesto launch but I hope that someone asks it.  Anything other than a straight 'yes' in response would be telling.

Manifesto-wise, Labour's best hope is that the Tory manifesto launch is as disastrous as the last one.  It was that, rather than anything in the Labour one, that had the most telling impact on the GE17 election.

rightly or wrongly, the 2008-09 financial crash apparently still comes up on the doorstep when Labour and economics comes up.

Magic Grandpa's manifesto has the feel, which possibly may not be fair, of something that is playing to his core vote to shore up a position post election than something that will win a majority and win over the marginal voter

Yes its fully costed but a) raising those funds not easy (tax evasion etc) and b) the sums are eye-watering. 

One little-mentioned fact is that the full implementation of Labour's manifesto will only result in a similar outlay to what Germany spends on social services, which is by some distance the most in Europe.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22126 on: November 22, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »

saw that today. Add on all the nationalisations on top!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22127 on: November 22, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »

I genuinely think the Labour manifesto is going to change things. It really is something else. How can you work in the public sector and not vote for them? My personal belief is that manifesto is just going to stop people from being able to go from Labour to Conservative and I think Lib Dem movers might think twice too.

I really do think Labour are going to do a lot better than people think. I am absolutely all over the over 200s at evens.

There is a widely accepted belief that successful change comes through evolution not revolution.

Corbyn is certainly going for the revolution route. The list of promises is long and financially pretty scary.

I think the public will see them as a fantasy wish list. It plays perfectly into the narrative that Labour can’t be trusted with the economy.

Judging by the reaction to it from the audience on Question Time last night, I sense the latter is the more accurate of these two takes on the manifesto.  Ultimately I think people over-estimate the impact of manifesto launches in general, and very few of the people who vote will actually read any of them.

I'm intrigued as to whether the 'costings' in this one are as tenuous as the GE17 version, where they analysed a small proportion of their plans, and shunted everything else into 'capital spend'.  Given that the basic policy is 'if we don't like it, nationalise it' I suspect it will be more of the same.

There's some interesting analysis of Labour's wording around the referendum option they're offering, as to whether it would require a 'super-majority' of 65% for Remain to prevail.  Suggestions that this has come from a shadow cabinet source, and Barry Gardiner (who else) has said similar in previous interviews.  I haven't seen the question asked outright of anyone post-manifesto launch but I hope that someone asks it.  Anything other than a straight 'yes' in response would be telling.

Manifesto-wise, Labour's best hope is that the Tory manifesto launch is as disastrous as the last one.  It was that, rather than anything in the Labour one, that had the most telling impact on the GE17 election.

rightly or wrongly, the 2008-09 financial crash apparently still comes up on the doorstep when Labour and economics comes up.

Magic Grandpa's manifesto has the feel, which possibly may not be fair, of something that is playing to his core vote to shore up a position post election than something that will win a majority and win over the marginal voter

Yes its fully costed but a) raising those funds not easy (tax evasion etc) and b) the sums are eye-watering. 

One little-mentioned fact is that the full implementation of Labour's manifesto will only result in a similar outlay to what Germany spends on social services, which is by some distance the most in Europe.

Seems a dubious stat.  Others seem to spend more as a percentage of GDP,  so the some distance seems unlikely.  Germany has a bigger population than us, so should naturally spend more if the benefits were the same? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22128 on: November 22, 2019, 06:34:21 PM »

I don't quite understand why people are so against potential nationalisations. Yes, they're going to cost money, but in a reported I read two days ago, it said they would get there money back within years. Not only that but broadband, gas and public transport need a kick up the ass.

I'm also happy to see an increase in health and social care. I don't know if any of you noticed this year, but a mother and father killed their kids in Sheffield in May and I live across the road from them. It has been a complete eye opener to see the complete and utter failure of social services in what could have prevented their horrific deaths.

Sure it's going to cost money. I get it.

But you know what? People matter.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #22129 on: November 22, 2019, 07:11:45 PM »

I could be wrong but I think the nationalizations were included.

Perhaps I should have said public services rather than social services.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22130 on: November 22, 2019, 07:16:07 PM »

The debate audience on bbc1 now is a bearpit. Jikes

My eyes are open wide
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22131 on: November 22, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »

I don't quite understand why people are so against potential nationalisations. Yes, they're going to cost money, but in a reported I read two days ago, it said they would get there money back within years. Not only that but broadband, gas and public transport need a kick up the ass.

I'm also happy to see an increase in health and social care. I don't know if any of you noticed this year, but a mother and father killed their kids in Sheffield in May and I live across the road from them. It has been a complete eye opener to see the complete and utter failure of social services in what could have prevented their horrific deaths.

Could be something to do with remembering how shit all these services were when they were previously nationalised.

Combine that with the prospect of them being run by a government which is under the control of Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne and McCluskey.

It really doesn't bear thinking about.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22132 on: November 22, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »

I could be wrong but I think the nationalizations were included.

Perhaps I should have said public services rather than social services.

https://data.oecd.org/gga/general-government-spending.htm

I have found the above site, and can't think how they got that Germany was much higher than anyone else.  I put in some of the usual suspects for high state spending (Sweden, Norway and France FWIW), and they seem to outspend us on pretty much anything, but they seem to outspend Germany on pretty much anything too.   I put in % of GDP, but even dollars per capita doesn't make Germany stand out.

Don't get me started on Nationalisations paying for themselves in 7 years.   Sure they do if you make a bunch of unrealistic assumptions (though Rail could definitely work due to franchises been for a set period).

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22133 on: November 22, 2019, 07:32:32 PM »

Could be something to do with remembering how shit all these services were when they were previously nationalised.

Combine that with the prospect of them being run by a government which is under the control of Corbyn, McDonnell, Milne and McCluskey.

It really doesn't bear thinking about.

Fair point, I’m not old enough to remember
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22134 on: November 22, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »

Corbyn explicitly says he as PM would remain neutral in referendum between a basically soft Brexit, and Remain:

"I will adopt a neutral stance so I can credibly carry out the result"...

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #22135 on: November 22, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »

Got a feeling this question time audience could be rather challenging for Boris. Plenty of vocal Labour supporters there.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22136 on: November 22, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »

Got a feeling this question time audience could be rather challenging for Boris. Plenty of vocal Labour supporters there.

Let's not worry. Get Brexit done. Dither and delay. Two referendums or a brave new world. How can it go wrong. Think he's gonna get savaged and if the audience is as pro Labour as it seems., Swinson gonna get slapped round a bit too

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22137 on: November 22, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »

I'm watching this about 20 mins behind - much more impressed with Fiona Bruce in this versus her normal chairing of QT.

And format so much better than the other day. Gave Corbyn a deece chance to get a vision across

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22138 on: November 22, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »

Swindon getting mauled. Good audience. Boris could get hammered

My eyes are open wide
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #22139 on: November 22, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »

Swindon getting mauled. Good audience. Boris could get hammered

Totally agree. Swinson and LD policies going down like a lead balloon.

The next 30 mins for Boris could be a big factor in this election.
Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 1474 1475 [1476] 1477 1478 1479 1480 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: