blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 246 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2199285 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: June 25, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »

Head in hands man needed as I sit here agreeing with adzdonk!  Incredible scenes.

Was only ever a matter of time. thumbs up

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: June 25, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »

I'm not saying it doesn't happen Adz but that is not typical of people on benefits in my opininion.  

Do you know how much people claiming benefits actually get and what they get them for?  

NLW is £7.20 an hour you'd be luck to get 2 pints of lager for that.  

So lets say we have an 2 adults with 2 kids both on the NLW and they both do 38hrs per week.  

That's £14,227 a year, ONS tells us the average family spend £531 a week.

There aint many folk on that sort of income getting a mortgage for much so the chances are they are probably renting.  Take into account childcare costs/travel/rent/food/utility bills/ communication/entertainment/servicing existing debts they are likely to have very little spare cash.  

The same couple above not working can get £22,170 on benefits assuming they are both able to work and are looking.  The sad thing is many on benefits to start with normally have an illness to go alongside and get a bit extra.  

I have seen families with 3 and 4 generations were people have come up on benefits and there kids will do they same because they live in abject poverty and know nothing different.  

I don't have all the answers but what I do know is the current system is a failure, but governments expecially this tory one have gone after the wrong people.

Lets introduce a living wage that is fit and proper, I don't think paying someone £8.25 an hour is too much of a hardship, for smaller businesses lets give them greater tax breaks to allow them to pay the money.  

The current system in  general is failing for the majority of people but for as long as we keep sticking to the failures and not learning from them the conditions won't improve much.  

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: June 25, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »

I simply struggle accept that somebody feels so strongly about staying in the EU could be strongly against staying in the UK.  You'd absolutely have to tie yourself in knots to explain that position.

It is a totally rational position to believe that Scotland is better off to be independent of the UK and simultaneously to believe that Scotland benefits from being in the EU, whether it is an independent country or part of the UK. They are two completely separate things.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: June 25, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »

Also why are we assuming migrants are on NMW?  Many of them are skilled workers earning more. 

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: June 25, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »

Not sure if this will work, Mark Blyth, a Scottish academic based in the US, offering a left critique of the EU, austerity (on which he wrote a very good book) and analysis of Brexit and more. I look forward to the whole interview this Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/AthensLiveGr/

Very good, and thought provoking. 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: June 25, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

I find Nicola Sturgeon has pounced on this turn of events to put her agenda back on the table.

it was clearly in her party's manifesto in the May elections, so hardly unexpected, in fact, the complete opposite.

The longer she leaves it the clearer the picture, the more variables the Scottish people have to work with. Calling for it on Day 1 is a different matter. Let's get the vote through while we're in a haze of confusion. I would expect a good leader to put leadership first.

wat?

It was in her manifesto, The UK as a whole voted to exit, Scotland didn't, where is the "haze of confusion"?

Lol wat? There wasn't a question about 'Scotland' in this referendum.

In fact if we analyse the data regarding the UK question put to the UK people we find there were MORE Scottish people who voted OUT or didn't vote at all than those who voted remain.

Yet in this new democracy that translates to Scotland voted to remain...even though that wasn't the question...and 33% chose not to answer the actual question. But meh let's just say Scotland voted to remain in the UK as an independent country. Democracy has been rinsed throughout this campaign and even more so now the result is in.

I know you are prob just trolling as usual but I'll say it again:

In the Scottish elections in May, the SNP said in their manifesto that if Scotland significantly voted to stay in the EU and the rUK voted out, they would ask for a second independence referendum.  I really don't see what you don't understand - she has to stand by the manifesto and has absolutely no choice other than raise the issue of another referendum.

Quick questions. Even though it is in the SNP manifesto, Scotland are still part of the UK. I guess the UK has no obligation to offer another referendum, even if Jimmy Krankie screams from the rooftops? Especially as the last vote was so recent?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: June 25, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »

I'm not saying it doesn't happen Adz but that is not typical of people on benefits in my opininion.  

Do you know how much people claiming benefits actually get and what they get them for?  

NLW is £7.20 an hour you'd be luck to get 2 pints of lager for that.  

So lets say we have an 2 adults with 2 kids both on the NLW and they both do 38hrs per week.  

That's £14,227 a year, ONS tells us the average family spend £531 a week.

There aint many folk on that sort of income getting a mortgage for much so the chances are they are probably renting.  Take into account childcare costs/travel/rent/food/utility bills/ communication/entertainment/servicing existing debts they are likely to have very little spare cash.  

The same couple above not working can get £22,170 on benefits assuming they are both able to work and are looking.  The sad thing is many on benefits to start with normally have an illness to go alongside and get a bit extra.  

I have seen families with 3 and 4 generations were people have come up on benefits and there kids will do they same because they live in abject poverty and know nothing different.  

I don't have all the answers but what I do know is the current system is a failure, but governments expecially this tory one have gone after the wrong people.

Lets introduce a living wage that is fit and proper, I don't think paying someone £8.25 an hour is too much of a hardship, for smaller businesses lets give them greater tax breaks to allow them to pay the money.  

The current system in  general is failing for the majority of people but for as long as we keep sticking to the failures and not learning from them the conditions won't improve much.  

About 6% of the population are on minimum wage and about 16% of households have no one who works in them - I'd have thought that suggests that the system isn't failing for the vast majority of people. (although it's true that I was surprised about how high the workless households was)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: June 25, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »

I find Nicola Sturgeon has pounced on this turn of events to put her agenda back on the table.

it was clearly in her party's manifesto in the May elections, so hardly unexpected, in fact, the complete opposite.

The longer she leaves it the clearer the picture, the more variables the Scottish people have to work with. Calling for it on Day 1 is a different matter. Let's get the vote through while we're in a haze of confusion. I would expect a good leader to put leadership first.

wat?

It was in her manifesto, The UK as a whole voted to exit, Scotland didn't, where is the "haze of confusion"?

In fact if we analyse the data regarding the UK question put to the UK people we find there were MORE Scottish people who voted OUT or didn't vote at all than those who voted remain.

Yet in this new democracy that translates to Scotland voted to remain...even though that wasn't the question...and 33% chose not to answer the actual question. But meh let's just say Scotland voted to remain in the UK as an independent country. Democracy has been rinsed throughout this campaign and even more so now the result is in.

In the Scottish elections in May, the SNP said in their manifesto that if Scotland significantly voted to stay in the EU and the rUK voted out, they would ask for a second independence referendum.  I really don't see what you don't understand - she has to stand by the manifesto and has absolutely no choice other than raise the issue of another referendum.

Quick questions. Even though it is in the SNP manifesto, Scotland are still part of the UK. I guess the UK has no obligation to offer another referendum, even if Jimmy Krankie screams from the rooftops? Especially as the last vote was so recent?

Yes def agree with that.  My only point is that it is completely reasonable for Sturgeon to make the SNP intentions quite clear  (in accordance with SNP election pledges).

redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: June 25, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »

That 16% of non working households includes pensioner households too , are there figures for non working households of working age?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »

wat?

Yes def agree with that.  My only point is that it is completely reasonable for Sturgeon to make the SNP intentions quite clear  (in accordance with SNP election pledges).

Its going to be fascinating.

You would think that the new PM will have bigger fish to fry than trying to appease her or the SNP. Nothing to lose for the Government (given the historic strength of SNP and lack of any loss of votes/seats for the Tories) for them to say you have had your referendum, your people voted to stay in UK, we aint offering you a new referendum. Tough. Come back in 15 years.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »

That 16% of non working households includes pensioner households too , are there figures for non working households of working age?

It was 16% of  working age households. Pensioner households were already excluded.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: June 25, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

And how many households are there in low incomes?  

Maybe my opinions are biased based on my location and the people I know.

What are the figures for those on low income jobs who are struggling to get by day to day and are using foodbanks and rely on current state hand outs likes universal credits to get by?  
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: June 25, 2016, 05:01:12 PM »

wat?

You would think that the new PM will have bigger fish to fry than trying to appease her or the SNP. Nothing to lose for the Government (given the historic strength of SNP and lack of any loss of votes/seats for the Tories) for them to say you have had your referendum, your people voted to stay in UK, we aint offering you a new referendum. Tough. Come back in 15 years.

But we were told on numerous occasions that in order to stay in the EU we had to stay in the UK.  Many, many people were fooled by that. The same way people were fooled by the "vow" and the superior powers that Holyrood were going to be getting. 

If the people of Scotland decide they want independence we will have it. 
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: June 25, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »

wat?

But we were told on numerous occasions that in order to stay in the EU we had to stay in the UK.  Many, many people were fooled by that. The same way people were fooled by the "vow" and the superior powers that Holyrood were going to be getting. 

If the people of Scotland decide they want independence we will have it. 

It may well be in the interests of democracy to have a vote in Scotland, but that's not the point.

UK Government could decide to play hardball with SNP and not offer a referendum now.

Not saying they will or wont, its just an interesting situation.

The people of Scotland may have to wait whether they like it or not.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: June 25, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »

And how many households are there in low incomes?  

Maybe my opinions are biased based on my location and the people I know.

What are the figures for those on low income jobs who are struggling to get by day to day and are using foodbanks and rely on current state hand outs likes universal credits to get by?  

The argument you were using was based on people on min wage being worse off than people on no wage - obviously there are people in the middle; families on a low wage who are entitled to benefits (for example).

But if their income is being topped up with benefits - the system seems to be working pretty well for them as well, doesn't it?

EDIT: foodbanks are a different matter - those people are still struggling. But it is noticeable that all the talk of how bad things are because of people using foodbanks concentrates on the growth of foodbanks. The people using them represents a very small number still. It's also materially affected by the fact that it used to be a lot more difficult legally to use foodbanks and they didn't get publicised very well - so even talking of the growth is misleading in a way, part of the growth is down to the extra accessibility to them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:11:02 PM by Jon MW » Logged

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 246 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: