blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272601 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 502 [503] 504 505 506 507 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197349 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7530 on: March 16, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »

Philip Hammond U-turns over National Insurance hike

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2017/03/philip-hammond-u-turns-over-national-insurance-hike

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

I still find this story breathtaking a day after Davis admitted it

they dont know the impact of no EU deal? really?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/15/brexit-government-assessed-impact-leaving-eu-deal-david-davis?CMP=share_btn_tw

David Davis admits Government has made no assessment of leaving EU without trade deal - http://bit.ly/2mNnNGe

My eyes are open wide
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »

I still find this story breathtaking a day after Davis admitted it

they dont know the impact of no EU deal? really?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/15/brexit-government-assessed-impact-leaving-eu-deal-david-davis?CMP=share_btn_tw

David Davis admits Government has made no assessment of leaving EU without trade deal - http://bit.ly/2mNnNGe

They should ask Timmy F ..he knows and it ain't pretty

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »

now that's how to write a letter

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: March 17, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »

For a softer Brexit, Theresa May needs to face a tougher opposition,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/softer-brexit-theresa-may-needs-face-tougher-opposition

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »

In denying Nicola Sturgeon a referendum, Theresa May is gambling on a good Brexit deal,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/03/denying-nicola-sturgeon-referendum-theresa-may-gambling-good-brexit-deal

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: March 18, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »

very funny on on George Osborne's mind scrambling new gig as Evening Standard editor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/17/george-osborne-editor-substance-london-evening-standard?CMP=Share

My eyes are open wide
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: March 18, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »

very funny on on George Osborne's mind scrambling new gig as Evening Standard editor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/17/george-osborne-editor-substance-london-evening-standard?CMP=Share

First saw it on twitter and genuinely had to think hard about the date, because  I thought "ha ha April Fool".
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: March 18, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

I thought I'd look for a more fiscal orientated argument then Broker's Trumpesque "Great" offering. Post was found here; http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=51867439&postcount=4635

Okay so lets look at the case for remaining in the UK (outwith the EU) and leaving the UK (and joining the EU)

First of all, what are the benefits of being within the UK?
At the moment Scotland is running a massive deficit of almost £15bn (actually £14.833bn if North Sea oil is distributed on a geographical basis). See the table below from the Scottish Governments Expenditure and Revenue figures (for 2015/16)

To give an idea of just how big this is the devolved Scottish government’s budget which includes areas such as Local Government, Health, Law and Order, Education, Housing, Farming etc is currently £36.93bn. The Scottish NHS budget, which is included in this, is £12.9bn alone.
Total expenditure in Scotland in 2015/16 was £68.58bn and of the amount that isn't devolved by far the biggest item is Social Security which amounts for over £23.59bn (some of this is in the process of being transferred to Scottish Government control)

Now the UK is also running at a deficit but in comparative terms the UK deficit is 4.2% whereas Scotland’s is 9.4%. This additional deficit, which is £9bn in cash terms is covered by a fiscal transfer from the UK government. Basically this is an additional £9bn over and above Scotland’s tax take. So leaving the UK means losing at least £9bn immediately on independence.

I should add the following for those who’s only reason for independence is ‘The Tories’, the Scottish government’s budget is now higher in real terms that it was pre-austerity in 2007. It went up £100m last year and next year was due to go up by a massive £900m but it will actually be slightly over £1bn when we take into account the figures from last weeks UK budget. You’ll find these figures in the recent Scottish budget document. Note that they’re hidden away in a table on page 179 (out of 186), it’s almost like the SNP don’t want us knowing this.

With regards to the EU and the impact of Brexit, the idea that this is solved by leaving the UK to join the EU is utter nonsense that is easily disproven.
Scotland exports £12.3bn to the EU single market but it exports £49.8bn to the (rest of) UK single market. So the idea that you leave your largest trading market to join one a quarter of the size is madness.
Below is a graphic showing the comparative figures:

This graph shows how the trade has been changing year on year and you can see it’s been stagnant within the EU but growing within the UK.

As you can see since 2002 exports to the EU have increased from £11.4bn to £12.3bn whereas those to the rest of the UK have increased from £28.6bn to £49.8bn

The SNP’s only answer to this is that the EU is a bigger market with bigger potential but this ignores the fact that there has been absolutely nothing blocking our trade with the EU up to now so why hasn’t this ‘potential’ been exploited and how would it suddenly be exploited post-independence?

I should add another quick, but major, point about the EU v UK. Within the EU countries are required to either have a deficit of below 3% or be seen to be taking steps to get below 3% (Chapter 17 of the chapter of the Acquis  https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/policy/conditions-membership/chapters-of-the-acquis_en  ). Scotland as it stands has a bigger deficit than Greece so the austerity we would endure by joining the EU would be on a scale never seen before. Within the UK this gap is funded by the UK so there is absolutely no impact whatsoever for us financially.

So to quickly sum up
In the UK (and ouwith the EU)
+£9bn fiscal transfer to cover the Scottish deficit (over and above the UK deficit)
Free access to our biggest trading partner where we export £49.8bn
We lose free access to the EU single market where we export £12.3bn

In the EU (and outwith the UK)
We lose the £9bn fiscal transfer from the UK
We actually have to pay the EU an unknown amount for membership (seen figures of over £1bn mentioned)
EU imposed austerity to achieve a 3% deficit
Free access to the EU single market with exports of £12.3bn
We lose free access to the UK market with exports of £49.8bn

These figures are just the basics and there’s much more I could add on the matter but I thought it was easier to stick to the large headline figures for now rather than throw up a huge wall of text by going into other areas. If anyone wants to know more, or query the figures etc I’ll do my best to answer where I can. I know that there are various pro-indy sites out there that do their best to spread misinformation about the finances but as most of them have been debunked I can probably address these as well.

Sources:
Scottish Govt Revenue and Expenditure Figures
http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/08/2132/downloads
Scottish Govt Draft Budget
http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/12/6610/downloads
Scottish Govt Export Figures
http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy/Exports/ESSPublication

*Note that I have clearly used the SNP governments own figures at every point.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: March 18, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »

The only point I can discern above is that Scotland sells more to the rest of the UK than it does to the EU. Therefore, "the idea that you leave your largest trading market to join one a quarter of the size is madness". But why? You have just stated your conclusion without providing any justification for it. The terms available in each scenario would be crucial, and unlikely to be the same (eg it is easy to see an independent Scotland trading on preferential terms with the UK).

Also, you have falsely equated Scotland's membership of the UK and the EU. If it joined the EU, it would be as a separate country, quite different to its position in the UK. And you have ignored non-economic reasons for Scottish independence and/or EU membership in deciding that it would be "madness".

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Scottish independence, and am open to listening to arguments, but you haven't provided any. If you expand what you have written to include a justification for your conclusion I may agree with you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:09:02 PM by MintTrav » Logged
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »

It would be good to see Sturgeon questioned in detail about the economic points.

I know she is an effective politician but she seems to get a very easy ride from the media.

The only interview I have seen where she was questioned in any real detail was by Andrew Neil when he tore her to shreds over deficit etc.

I have a feeling she will be avoiding him like the plague in future.

If I were the BBC I would have him do the lead interviews with all parties.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: March 19, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »

The only point I can discern above is that Scotland sells more to the rest of the UK than it does to the EU. Therefore, "the idea that you leave your largest trading market to join one a quarter of the size is madness". But why? You have just stated your conclusion without providing any justification for it. The terms available in each scenario would be crucial, and unlikely to be the same (eg it is easy to see an independent Scotland trading on preferential terms with the UK).

Also, you have falsely equated Scotland's membership of the UK and the EU. If it joined the EU, it would be as a separate country, quite different to its position in the UK. And you have ignored non-economic reasons for Scottish independence and/or EU membership in deciding that it would be "madness".

I don't have a strong opinion either way on Scottish independence, and am open to listening to arguments, but you haven't provided any. If you expand what you have written to include a justification for your conclusion I may agree with you.

I don't have a view either way but to say a post that is organised, has data and provides sources does not provide any arguments is odd.  You may not agree with it but the post was a good read.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: March 19, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »

best Matt ever

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile