blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  A Long Road Ahead
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Long Road Ahead  (Read 47362 times)
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »

Hey Blonde, my name is Adam Picken and I've thought about writing a diary for a long time. At first it was going to be in The Rail, but I didn't quite have the confidence to get it going then. So i started a blog, called Emerging from the Shadows. I'd classify it as a small failure, the posts were quite personal and probably overstepped the mark in terms of what I would want on the internet. After I stopped posting on there I just went quiet on the blogging front, which was a bit of a shame as I really enjoy writing. Hopefully starting this will lead to me forcing myself to write a little bit more. I nearly started one write before Scoop, but fortunately decided against it.

Scoop was a lot of fun and somewhat disastrous at the same time. One of my horses lives with me, and one came out after the first sunday for two weeks. The stress of 17 days play in a row, so many buyins and soooo many close misses was quite frustrating, and overall I lost a chunk of money. This was a somewhat expected result, despite the amount of games played across the three of us. I actually managed to place in the top 30 of both the low and medium leaderboards which means i get 2x 109 wcoop tickets (28th in both Sad). Halfway through the week I kind of expected a little bit more, but unfortunately I largely ran horrific on the f2ts and got a bunch of ft bubbles.  (12th in Horse-H, 9th in NLSD 2-7-L, 11th LHE-M) being a few of the more annoying results. I did manage a 6th in the FLO8-M event and a 7th in the NLO8-L but both were small scores. Luckily one of my horses managed to win overall, and the other won enough early on that it didn't feel too bad of a series. Also fortunately, one of the horses I share with Pads and a couple of others guy managed a bink on Tuesday to clear almost all of his makeup, so its felt like a pretty good end to the month. I''m definitely looking forward to next years already, even though I think i averaged over 10 hours of play per day, and only missed one event at all tiers.

Currently, I live in Budapest, close to Pads. I lived here last year for 6 months, and decided to come back in March for a more permanent stay. Budapest is such an amazing city, the place we have found is absolutely massive for the price and the community of poker players around the city constantly changing, old friends return and new friends are made with regularity. The food/restaurant scene is also pretty amazing in my opinion. The city itself is cheap so most places feel like pretty good value, and there is a wide range of both high end and low end, good quality food. I also appreciate the range of takeaway restaurants here, they are an important part of a mtters life! They have a decent amount of variety, and there are also a bunch of "fast food" places nearby that you can order and eat within 20 minutes quite comfortably.

I'm not quite sure what I will write about over the next few months, I'm just planning to write when I feel like it. I've cut down a lot on blonde recently, and am quite enjoying not keeping so up to date with it. I'm almost certainly skipping all of Vegas to grind online. The WSOP will always be there and I don't think this year was the year to take a shot. I've been downswinging for 7/9 months in the last year, but had a pretty nice heater before then. Hopefully the juicy six weeks will prove fruitful and WCOOP won't be anywhere near as big as Scoop. I play a whole host of sites and games so tend to keep my screen names hidden, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of people know most, but if there are any too specific questions that might affect future play I probably won't answer. This might be a bit of a balancing act as it won't be much fun to say won x on x eurosite for x amount, but I'll try to figure something out.

Heading for some beers tonight with European and the grinders he is stopping with atm. That house of four are heading home for a month soon, and my parents are coming over to visit next week, so it will probably be a bit of a messy one tonight before the saturday/sunday grind. European won the hu and fted the 2k cubed, and I think his house overall did pretty well over the series. Really excited to show my parents Budapest, hopefully the Sunday gods shine on me and I can manage to win a heap of money and wake up relatively early to meet them for lunch.

Click to see full-size image.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:43:30 PM »

1st!!!

Standard Nando's order?

Have you ever bought Vinny dinner?

Your best and worst qualities? in life and poker

What who is your largest live score? Wink

Feel free to not answer Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:04:47 PM by Eso Kral » Logged

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »

2nd.

gl with the blog. long way to catch up on pads and mine as the finest 2 blogs on the forum
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:06:05 PM by verndog158 » Logged

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »

2nd
Standard!

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »

I really liked your blog so happy to see you start up here.
May the long road lead to riches.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »

1st!!!

Standard Nando's order?
Medium Butterfly, peri chips, macho peas (most boring order ever)

Have you ever bought Vinny dinner?
Somehow faded it in Luton a few years ago and successfully dodged the spot since.

Your best and worst qualities? in life and poker
I'm a pretty obsessive person, whether its poker or reading a book, I struggle to stop once I started. I used to play 8 hours live and then come back and register an mtt schedule, pretty silly stuff really. As long as I can remember I've always been someone who read a decent amount and someone who could read quite quickly. I've slowed down a bit as I got older but I used to be able to read a 400 page book before I went to sleep in a single sitting.

I tend to act and sound more flustered then I actually am or seem more angry, and this has caused a few personal problems. Its something I've worked on and luckily it has never really been an issue in poker.

What who is your largest live score? Wink
33k for cl chop in GPS with 4 left, should probably have been more and I made a few mistakes I occasionally still think about. Had a piece of Verndogs heroics so that competes nicely, you bastard.
Feel free to not answer Wink

peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »

Well as Adams dad I'm obv gonna be subscribed.
If you cash in the Milly, lunch is on you.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »

Tal's customary, randomly generated, patent pending, new blog questions:

1. Favourite dinosaur?

2. Best sports or prop bet?

3. How do you have your steak (you live near pleno, after all)?

4. WSOP Main Event Final Table walk-on song (YouTube insertion preferable)?

5. Would you rather spend a day fishing with Piers Morgan (who knows there are cameras watching him, so he's "on full Piers Morgan form" with his banter) or miss a penalty at halftime at Wembley in front of all your friends and family?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »

Hey mate. Really glad you've decided to blog.

Can u tell us about your journey up to the stakes your playing?

Fave mixed game to play?

Have you ever been to Vegas?

If you weren't playing poker what would u be doing full time do u think?

Fave food/meal?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »

<3 IN

GLGLGL.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »

why did Budapest develop a community of poker players to start with?

did Pleno start this off?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »

I'll answer the questions tomorrow or over the next few days, pretty shattered tonight. Played about a big a schedule as saturday will allow with 888, Party, .fr and Stars covered, 4 fts in big 100, 265 ko, 215 plo8 and 82 plo, no 4 figure cashes though so a bit disappointing. Cash was pretty insane tonight, 8 game on Stars was good and omaha/nlhe kicked off on an unknown site. Played 20/40 8game and flopped some sets/made some hands and 2-4-5/10 omaha/nlhe, with 5 hands of 10/20 plo for fun. Got a reg really tilted and managed to vb the 3rd nuts on qt65J, getting called by a653 Tongue Probably covered any losses today and tomorrows buyins so a pretty sweet session overall. My American housemate got back from Dubai at 1am and went out for a few drinks, and I battled until he got back. Some stud has been running too and managed a decent win there too and some extra vpps for Stud/Draw week on PS.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, I've had some close calls the last few sundays and sessions and despite not having the most profitable last month, I am really confident in my game again. Going to play pretty big I think so fingers crossed someone can crush something.

Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

why did Budapest develop a community of poker players to start with?

Click to see full-size image.

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »

Tal's customary, randomly generated, patent pending, new blog questions:

1. Favourite dinosaur?
T-Rex, no doubt, really admire something/someone who makes it to the top of the food chain.

2. Best sports or prop bet?
Most of my favourite bets would be the ones that make the dough, the arbboy 4/6 shots BillyHills tend to tee up for me. There is something really satisfying about the silly 1/3 shots that should be 1/20. SNP to win more seats than the LDs or Jully Hottest month would be the two highlights. Hills didn't pay till halfway through November for the hottest month bet!

3. How do you have your steak (you live near pleno, after all)?
Medium Rare definitely the best, sometimes order it Rare in the UK.

4. WSOP Main Event Final Table walk-on song (YouTube insertion preferable)?

5. Would you rather spend a day fishing with Piers Morgan (who knows there are cameras watching him, so he's "on full Piers Morgan form" with his banter) or miss a penalty at halftime at Wembley in front of all your friends and family?

Piers no doubt, I'm sure you could find a way to make it interesting, and he appears to be a smart man. The camera effect can't compete with the horrors of Wembley.

Took the least time consuming questions to the answer sword because I'm meeting my parents in about an hour for a beer then a meal. Yesterday was a funny day, i doubled in 7/8 of my starting comps, but only managed to cash one and at about 8 o'clock this hadn't really changed. I had a decent amount of tables up until 1am, but the cashes and really deep runs weren't coming. Disaster struck at about this time, I bust Le Triomphe in 10th, this tournament is a 30e deepstack on .fr, and a grinders dream. Unfortunately, despite having final table average with 27 left, I lost an annoying flip to bubble the lights. I got 6th in the 82 weekly NLO8 having been relatively decent position, and managed to lose 7 out of 8 allins just after 2am. I had 50k in the sunday 530 and 30k in the Party 500 and couldn't win a big flip in the s530 before getting coolered JJ vs KK and QQ vs AA in the space of 2 mins. Luckily I managed to regroup and stagger to the ft of the 55 40k. About 8k for the win and I sat 7/9 with 13 big blinds, having not been above 30bb since the money. A grinders dream.

Ft went well, a few guys got koed, I doubled again with aces (third time in the final 45 Tongue) and sat 3/6 or so. Wizwizo, Ole Schemion was on my left, making life difficult. I found on the button and opened into him and a 8bb stack. He and jammed the sb for 25bb eff or so effective. I called and saw an AdQsTd and saw 55% next to my name, I could only see the hole card due to my hud! Unfortunately, he hit the King and I exited in 6th for 1.8k. I scraped a small loss in tournaments and won a few buyins vs the previously mentioned omaha reg, who might just be a fish, he didn't play well again. 20/40 8 game was running with Jungleman, Fresh o OD, and 2 unknowns, so i hopped in and managed to scrape a 1.5bi win which was pretty nice. I'd like to claim it was all skill but the majority came from a 4 way omaha allin lol. Good game though, and it was a lot of fun playing vs Jungle. I think I played pretty well yesterday, the cards didn't quite fall for me and I really did grind it out where I had to. Some regs made some horrific plays too, so that always breeds some confidence. A personal highlight was 3b calling AQs from the big blind vs an under the gun open, who had 55 and won. Felt like a pretty big theoretical win for me. Just goes to show how quickly the game is moving at the moment, a month or so ago my 3b would have looked ridiculously strong, but now that is being exploited and hence rexploited. Hard to find the right level sometimes though and I definitely misplayed a similar spot later on in Le Triomphe. Really looking forward to tonight, its been a while since I saw my parents and we are really close. I might fade the questions tonight as presumably I'll have a few beers but I will slowly get through them!

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:25 PM »

Awesome pick for the walk on. Would have to have the video for playing in the background!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: