blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  SNP MP, Mhairi Black
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SNP MP, Mhairi Black  (Read 7173 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

Not really into politics, but I've heard some not very nice stuff about Murphy, so giving gracious losing speeches doesn't really make him a better person.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:04 PM »

Again - it's a UK Parliament not an English one, get your own assembly for your English laws and stop interfering with democracy.

who is interfering with democracy?

no one is suggesting that anyone does

EVEL stops this nonsense of the SNP having the best of both worlds, if introduced correctly

I voted for my MP to vote on laws in the UK parliament.  Whether any law is an "English" law is subjective.  Create an English assembly and devolve powers if you want, but stopping my MP voting is because in the opinion of the Tory Party a law only affects England is unacceptable.

The idea that Scottish MPs can vote in the UK Parliament on matters which are devolved to Scotland (and therefore aren't regulated from Westminster) is an absolute affront to democracy.

You cannot have it both ways. You can be devolved and decide for yourselves, or we can decide together, and you can not be devolved. Either is fine, but both ways is scandalous.

Nobody seriously disagrees with that, surely?

You can argue the 'Englishness' of an issue if you please, but I'd suggest a good definition is 'a bill concerning  devolved matter which has been voted on in Scottish Parliament in the last two sessions.'

Also, re OP: thought it was very average, smacked of being written by some dull Donald PR/Communications maven and the only reason anyone thought it was any good is because British politicians are on the whole, dire.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »

any law that is passed in the UK parliament has a knock on effect to the devolved governments in wales/ireland and scotland

if they english people want english votes for english matters then the english people need to get a devolved government

rather than stopping scottish MP's voting of things that will effect scottish people in a round about way

if the UK government decide that a vote for a scottish MP is worth less than a vote for an english MP you will find alot of unrest in scotland that will lead to the break up of the union

that unrest will include civil disobedience including   from alot of moderate people some of whom are already feeling tricked into voting NO last year

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »

Scotland had their chance to leave us but sense prevailed. So they really should abide by what we say they should do. They know it makes sence in the long run

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:53 AM »

Hardly a balanced view I thought this was better . .  .

http://wingsoverscotland.com/fox-force-56/

Fwiw I think Mhari is very good despite some of her views, if we had more of her ilk things would be far better for the majority.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 12:28:21 AM »

Fwiw I think Mhari is very good despite some of her views, if we had more of her ilk things would be far better for the majority.

Can't believe it took you so long to get to this thread   Cheesy
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 01:33:24 AM »

Just for balance i am probably the biggest tory on this site but fair play to her.  She has a quality education from a top uni (she got a first in politics from Glasgow uni) i don't agree with most of her views and i think she is riding the snp gravy train to get a seat in the houses of parliement but at least she is passionate and young and loves the game.  Most of the middle aged middle class snp wannabes who have just landed on a £65k a year job plus exs are going to live off her and her image for years.  She will be the next SNP leader surely?
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 01:34:46 AM »

Can't believe it took you so long to get to this thread   Cheesy

Posting rights removed! 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »

Just for balance i am probably the biggest tory on this site but fair play to her.  She has a quality education from a top uni (she got a first in politics from Glasgow uni) i don't agree with most of her views and i think she is riding the snp gravy train to get a seat in the houses of parliement but at least she is passionate and young and loves the game.  Most of the middle aged middle class snp wannabes who have just landed on a £65k a year job plus exs are going to live off her and her image for years.  She will be the next SNP leader surely?

I don't ever see her as a leader.  I'd be happy to lay that one for sure.   
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:30 AM »

any law that is passed in the UK parliament has a knock on effect to the devolved governments in wales/ireland and scotland

Fundamentally not true for devolved matters.

Situation/West Lothian question always been a concern but will be worse now that the SNP have promised 'full opposition' and will vote (rather than abstain) on any issue that has fuck all to do with them just to score political points.

I am English. I don't want Scottish MPs voting on whether I can hunt, or not. Or anything else we devolved, for that matter.

Im not, obviously, saying the SNP vote is worth less than others, I'm saying on devolved matters they shouldn't get to vote on the twice ffs. Every time a Scottish MP votes on an English issue, the Scottish Public have had two voices, one in Holyrood and another in Westminster. That is fundamentally unfair, your voices, nationalist and politically immature as they are, are not more important than mine, or anyone else. They days of Scotland being first amongst equals have to end.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »

Fundamentally not true for devolved matters.

Situation/West Lothian question always been a concern but will be worse now that the SNP have promised 'full opposition' and will vote (rather than abstain) on any issue that has fuck all to do with them just to score political points.

I am English. I don't want Scottish MPs voting on whether I can hunt, or not. Or anything else we devolved, for that matter.

Im not, obviously, saying the SNP vote is worth less than others, I'm saying on devolved matters they shouldn't get to vote on the twice ffs. Every time a Scottish MP votes on an English issue, the Scottish Public have had two voices, one in Holyrood and another in Westminster. That is fundamentally unfair, your voices, nationalist and politically immature as they are, are not more important than mine, or anyone else. They days of Scotland being first amongst equals have to end.

I think the problem is if we treat Westminster as the English Parliament it doesn't really promote Britain. We have MSPs for regional matters and MPs to vote on British matters. Until you devolve and get your own local EMP to sweat the small stuff then I can't agree. The House of Commons is British, you can't use it as your English Parliament
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: