blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Beginner PLO advice!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginner PLO advice!!!  (Read 11171 times)
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:10 AM »

Turn is fine with that specific read and that specific turn
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »

What would be the reason behind a turn call? I've really been struggling to put people on hands since playing as they all seem to play so loose. I saw him over playing over pairs previously and also sets on the turn i put him on KK/QQ/JJ hands and maybe two pair? Is there an argument for 3betting pre? I flat called as I was in position and could disguise the strength of my hand?

Sorry if I'm being stupid just starting to learn the game so any comments are appreciated. Thought this was a standard spot / bad beat but maybe I'm wrong!!

SPR on the flop is 12.5 or so, which is too deep to plan get in the second nut straight with no redraws. That's why raise/calling the turn here is not 'standard' - it is an adjustment. If you have a strong read that villain will stack off with all sets/two pair here then that could be a valid reason to make such an adjustment.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »

i would put in three bets pre flop.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

i would put in three bets pre flop.

And I wouldn't be shy about putting in a 5th or 7th Cheesy
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »

Will responde to the hand comments tomorrow thanks for the comments..(had a few beers so won't reply now)

Anyway.. Golf update shot 39 on the front nine playing good solid golf..

For a bit of a laugh who ever has posted in this thread already can guess what my overall total score was for the round I will place a £20 sports bet of their choice and we will go 75/25 in their favour have till Sunday evening to post I have a photo of the score card!! (Who ever is closest wins)

Anyway the town awaits!!

Cheers

Jason
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 01:04:01 AM »

Isn't this just a turn call rather than a turn raise?
agreed not nuts and no redraw getting in turn with this sort of hand will get u in trouble. Turn call would be ok

Not great starting but pre is fine imo and flop call too after past turn in this spot just looks hopeful to say the least

Micro plo blog? Gl sir

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:57 AM »

So deposited £40 Saturday and just finished for the weekend and the bankroll is up to £83 which is a good start. Have run well in places and got a few hands that I will post in PHA for people's thoughts.

With regards to the straight hand I put up Thursday I can see where I have gone wrong here and without the any redraws and the SPR it's a clear call not raise. I've also been 3 betting these hands when in position as once you have the initiative at these stakes you can get people of semi / drawing hand far easier.

Got football tomorrow night but will watch some ROI videos and look back at the weekend sessions. Has anyone got any advice on how to study your sessions? What to look for? Notes to take? Never really done it in real depth before so any advice would be helpful.

Anyway played golf on Friday was a nice course in Hove and obviously the weather made it that much better. Shot 39 on the front nine but the putter went cold on the back nine and seemed to loose concentration and ended up shooting 44 for a total of 83!! Yes the math on the score card is wrong my mate can't add up!!
Got another round up north on Thursday so can hopefully carry the form through to this..

After the golf went on a bit of a session in Hove and can't really remember much from the night was too pissed..

Think I might look to put some goals up for the month not all poker related will have a think.

Obviously will carry on grinding PLO10 until I seem super comfortable but when do you think I should take a shot at PLO20?

Cheers

Jason
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »

That hand is defo a call on the turn, not because we're worried that our hand isn't the best as we can be fairly happy we have the best hand, but this is Omaha where when we raise on lock-down boards (boards where there is one, very obvious nuts) by default we usually have a pretty polarised range of hands... whereas we can get value in the shape of calls from slightly worse hands (sets mostly) when he goes all-in then we now have to call off with extremely bad equity vs his range.

All this can be easily avoided by not raising in such spots with the second nut straight.

Not that you can't build into your strategy raises with less than the nuts on lock-down boards but you need a MUCH better reason than "you saw him overplay a pair."   

Note the major difference between a spot like this and having 88 on a board like 58Qhh.

Also defo defo 3bet pre-flop, obviously you have a good hand when you 3bet but this isn't like 3betting in NL where again naturally you tend to be a bit more polarised, flat KQs and 3bet K4s etc where you can fold to 4bets and so on, you only 3bet in PLO when you have a range and/or play-ability advantage and you want to be able to 3bet as much IP as you possibly can and this means always 3betting AA IP. Only reasons really to not 3bet is if you have really aggro-squeezers behind you at certain stacks.

Nice work so far though, keep posting hands, its fun.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »

That hand is defo a call on the turn, not because we're worried that our hand isn't the best as we can be fairly happy we have the best hand, but this is Omaha where when we raise on lock-down boards (boards where there is one, very obvious nuts) by default we usually have a pretty polarised range of hands... whereas we can get value in the shape of calls from slightly worse hands (sets mostly) when he goes all-in then we now have to call off with extremely bad equity vs his range.

All this can be easily avoided by not raising in such spots with the second nut straight.

Not that you can't build into your strategy raises with less than the nuts on lock-down boards but you need a MUCH better reason than "you saw him overplay a pair."   

Note the major difference between a spot like this and having 88 on a board like 58Qhh.

Also defo defo 3bet pre-flop, obviously you have a good hand when you 3bet but this isn't like 3betting in NL where again naturally you tend to be a bit more polarised, flat KQs and 3bet K4s etc where you can fold to 4bets and so on, you only 3bet in PLO when you have a range and/or play-ability advantage and you want to be able to 3bet as much IP as you possibly can and this means always 3betting AA IP. Only reasons really to not 3bet is if you have really aggro-squeezers behind you at certain stacks.

stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 02:40:24 PM »

Thanks for this I completely get what your saying and will keep this in mind for the future.

Going to run though the HH from the weekend tonight and I know ive got a few hands marked which were interesting and will post them later for discussion (I hope they are interesting anyway and not just standard spots)

If anyone could tell me how to upload pictures from an iPhone would be helpful as I have no idea!!
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 12:08:21 AM »

So update...

HHs

Intended to do this tonight but not really unfortunate I ended up going for beers!! Will post hands tomorrow with thoughts for you all to comment/flame/advise, hopefully will make for some good discussions!!

Diary

Think this will turn into a microPLO diary. Been thinking would hopefully be a good read and won't keep it all poker will throw in some life stories which mainly evolve around golf, beer and the associated nights out plus sports bets!! Not sure who I need to speak to but if it can get moved into the diary board that would be great also need to change the title!! Also think I'm going to post some goals monthly and a pipe dream.

Other stuff

Found this article online regarding SPR which for a beginner was really helpful and kinda works for the HH I posted in this thread and the other thread in PHA, sorry if this is not allowed please delete if it's not...

http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-poker-magazines/66224-poker-year-in-review-26-1/articles/21011-pot-limit-omaha-the-stack-to-pot-ratio-spr-part-i

Cheers Jason
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 01:29:42 AM »

Hi Jason,

Have moved this to the diary Board as requested.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »

Thank you Tikay
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »

Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »

I shall follow, good luck at the table stack. Feel free to throw in some life stories/ hobbies etc

How old are you?

What made you only start learning PLO properly now?

Do you prefer cash or tourneys?

Favorite pizza?

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: