blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 219839 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 04, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »

Tty walking between chancery lane and st pauls, or taking the bus.  It isn't far, maybe a mile, but you'll start to learn your way around and there is so much to see in London if you look around.

Yeah. Got cocky thinking I was the big mr london, weather is picking up nicely and walking is becoming very pleasant, it's nice to walk around in London.

The London Tube is a thing of wonder.

Take a few hours off blonde & digest this. Your life will change for ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground

Spot on Tikay, I got the map on my phone, was a serious game changer, now I just find out where I am...then find the station I wanna go to and follow the lines. Brilliant.

There's a London Underground app which works out routes for you too - might come in handy.

No no no, he has to be more manly & work it out for himself.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »

Great update.

Glad things are swimming along nicely.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 04, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »

Tty walking between chancery lane and st pauls, or taking the bus.  It isn't far, maybe a mile, but you'll start to learn your way around and there is so much to see in London if you look around.

Yeah. Got cocky thinking I was the big mr london, weather is picking up nicely and walking is becoming very pleasant, it's nice to walk around in London.

Spot on Tikay, I got the map on my phone, was a serious game changer, now I just find out where I am...then find the station I wanna go to and follow the lines. Brilliant.

There's a London Underground app which works out routes for you too - might come in handy.

Your phone has a map thing you can use for walking.

Back in the day the best navigation tip was:  if you are North of the river, downhill is South.  If you are South of the river, downhill is North.  You are walking up.a hill, you are walking away from the Thames.  You'll have it sussed in no time.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 04, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »

Exactly.

My Dad, never used a satnav, has a map in his car for emergencies goes within 5 miles of a road and he remembers it for life, talking about london the other day he pipes up with "oh you'll take X road then go down Y street and take the Awattsit" I'm like how the hell do you know that??? Turns out he drove a horsebox there in 1974, fair play - I still get lost walking around Leeds.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 04, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »

There's also an app that tells you what carriage of the train to get on so you're closest to the exit when you get off.

Interesting.... Somehow its really tilting when you get out and you're furthest from the exit, going to spend another seconds maximum but raged up nonetheless.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »

Your phone has a map thing you can use for walking.

Back in the day the best navigation tip was:  if you are North of the river, downhill is South.  If you are South of the river, downhill is North.  You are walking up.a hill, you are walking away from the Thames.  You'll have it sussed in no time.  

I would literally never find my way home...

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 04, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »

Hi wee dave, glad London is working out for you.

Next time you're in Malta, gimme a shout. There isn't a Nando's but I'm sure I can find somewhere for you to take me to dinner x 😁

Next week mate, i'll hit you up, you want me to bring a few bottles of sauce over?

Cool, plenty Nando's sauce in Malta. Just no restaurant to eat it in Sad

You know corkage charge, where you bring your own booze to a restaurant and pay a small fee? Can you not sort something like this out, just grill me a plain chicken and cover it in this sauce please, and bring me some humous whilst im waiting.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 04, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »

Great update.

Glad things are swimming along nicely.

Generally satisfied with the current state of affairs, hoe you're good mate

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:01 PM »

been railing this jason mercier false cheating accusations 2+2 thread, given i have 0 time for poker these days I wouldn't mind a little Open Face spin, i've not played in AT LEAST two years probably more and was a bit iffy back then, would defo be up for a lil gamble for friendly stakes if anyone wants to play??

Cool OFC story, me and Flushy almost certainly played this game long before 99% of the world had even heard of it, 2011 in Venice we were playing - we called it Venetian poker (because we were in Venice Smiley ) and if we've started the bandwagon properly...well...we should have done that Smiley

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »

been railing this jason mercier false cheating accusations 2+2 thread, given i have 0 time for poker these days I wouldn't mind a little Open Face spin, i've not played in AT LEAST two years probably more and was a bit iffy back then, would defo be up for a lil gamble for friendly stakes if anyone wants to play??

Cool OFC story, me and Flushy almost certainly played this game long before 99% of the world had even heard of it, 2011 in Venice we were playing - we called it Venetian poker (because we were in Venice Smiley ) and if we've started the bandwagon properly...well...we should have done that Smiley

Pmed

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »

This is kind of cool detail from my past, and I'd sort of forgotten this...

When i was at school, in year 7-8 (ages 11-13ish for anyone unfamiliar with the UK school system) and being a thoroughly enterprising young chap I started a sweet "tuck-shop" business, operated out of a diadora sports bag I sold polo's, fruit pastilles, those dolly bead necklaces (although those were discontinued after someone nearly blinded our maths teacher firing them at her) and strawberry laces that I'd bought from the wholesaler with my Dad. After 7-8 months successful operating I moved into supply for two groups who were attempting to emulate my success, I made a cpl quid a go on each box of stuff with pretty much zero work! During my reign the school's official tuck shop virtually closed down Cheesy I remember a few days I had queues pretty much down the corridor   

Eventually, a sting operation took place and I was "caught" red handed, turns out some jobs-worth school prefect took it upon herself to get me shut-down, I'd previously had a few "If you are running a tuck-shop operation then you should stop" talks from our year head which I'd totally ignored. This time however I was told continuing to operate would lead to expulsion, this forced my parents, previously in high support of my enterprise to force me to stop, and without my Dad's wholesale card and willingness to drive me there the business had to close.

My goal when I started this was to be able to afford to buy a table-tennis table, I can't remember how much it was, maybe like £350-£450, but I remember at time of closure I had JUST got there, I'd kept the money (every penny) in a box under my bed, my mum and dad were very surprised when I announced I had enough to buy it and produced the money pretty much all in 50 and 20ps Smiley When I bought the table I took the money in like that and insisted on paying with the actual money I'd made.

Then when I got home from cyprus at 18 after travelling and was stone broke it was THAT table tennis table I sold for £150, and THAT £150 (-minus £8 petrol, and a bag of percy pigs) which i spun into my poker bankroll, (over 3000x at peak) I was chatting to a girl who was in my form at school who I recently bumped into in London about my tuck shop and she said jokingly "shame it got closed down, you could have made it big"

I guess I kind of did Smiley

Click to see full-size image.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

Be interested what the clever people of blonde think about this topic;

I'm a pretty big believer that one of the biggest contributor to social issues we face in the UK is lack of aspiration in young people. I was very lucky, I grew up with enterprising parents and went to a good school, it's one thing to say "You can be whatever you want David" but it's another to see it in action, my Dad had a successful business and went bankrupt when I was about 11/12, was obviously tough on him but he just dusted down, got a job for a year paid all his debts and started out again, that's pretty inspiring because it showed me that it's OK to fail, my Dad said he'd rather be scrapping about trying to do what he wants than accepting defeat (in his eyes) and conceding his ambitions, and I believe him fully. It never really worked out for him truthfully (I often wonder if he feels gutted about how things turned out or if he's chilled with it I genuinely don't know) but I have more respect for the man than imaginable because he never stopped trying, ever.

As lucky as I was, I think the reality for a lot of people growing up now is there is pretty much zero career aspiration in their lives, surrounding them is unemployment, recession this, doom and gloom that. When I was at school it was firmly believed that the only way to get going is to get to Uni and get a degree, I disagreed entirely with that at the time, and disagree even more now, but at least it offered some aspiration to people... Do well at school, go uni, get a first, get sick job, run up the ladder, start own business, buy yacht etc. Now with uni becoming less accessible and the fruits of a degree becoming less meaningful that's been taken away without a real replacement. I really like the apprenticeship schemes I think they are fantastic, and the people working on them are absolutely amazing people, but they are packaged and sold to kids pretty damn poorly - I has a 17yr old guy working for me and I had to really push him to go on the scheme when basically he'd get the same money, 1 day a week less physical work AND a qualification at the end (no brainer!!)

I know it's not the be all and end all and many many people end up really happy by working their way into an Ok job and having a family, but that's not exactly a big carrot for a 17yr old. I'm talking about the kind of encouragement that makes kids sit up and go, "bloody hell right if I can actually achieve that then i'm gonna really work hard and go for it." We all know life changes, things happen you rarely end up finishing on the same path you start out on at 18, but you need a path to follow.

For me, encouraging enterprise is the way out of this, yes create jobs etc but more important than anything, show people that IT IS POSSIBLE to get where you want to go, look there's John, remember when he was unemployed? Well look at him now running his own business, that's some inspiration people could actually relate too. Laura loves watching these "Britain on benefits" shows on TV, people get raged because X person doesn't work and gets £20k a yr or w/e but the most horrible thing I saw on one of those shows was an unemployed women sending her kids off to school, she told them that "school doesn't really matter, you don't use any of that stuff in life anyways" you could say about that women "HOW DISGUSTING SHE WOULD SAY THAT TO A CHILD" she's basically telling her kids that they don't have a chance of making anything of themselves, that the privileges and possibilities available to other kids are not for them, so why bother.  You can see why she believes this, how do we break that cycle?

Very happy to be told I'm wrong - this is one of the few political subjects I have any passion about so would love to hear some views!!!

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 12, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »

When i was at school, in year 7-8 (ages 11-13ish for anyone unfamiliar with the UK school system) and being a thoroughly enterprising young chap I started a sweet "tuck-shop" business, operated out of a diadora sports bag I sold polo's, fruit pastilles, those dolly bead necklaces (although those were discontinued after someone nearly blinded our maths teacher firing them at her) and strawberry laces that I'd bought from the wholesaler with my Dad. After 7-8 months successful operating I moved into supply for two groups who were attempting to emulate my success, I made a cpl quid a go on each box of stuff with pretty much zero work! During my reign the school's official tuck shop virtually closed down Cheesy I remember a few days I had queues pretty much down the corridor   

Eventually, a sting operation took place and I was "caught" red handed, turns out some jobs-worth school prefect took it upon herself to get me shut-down, I'd previously had a few "If you are running a tuck-shop operation then you should stop" talks from our year head which I'd totally ignored. This time however I was told continuing to operate would lead to expulsion, this forced my parents, previously in high support of my enterprise to force me to stop, and without my Dad's wholesale card and willingness to drive me there the business had to close.

My goal when I started this was to be able to afford to buy a table-tennis table, I can't remember how much it was, maybe like £350-£450, but I remember at time of closure I had JUST got there, I'd kept the money (every penny) in a box under my bed, my mum and dad were very surprised when I announced I had enough to buy it and produced the money pretty much all in 50 and 20ps Smiley When I bought the table I took the money in like that and insisted on paying with the actual money I'd made.

Then when I got home from cyprus at 18 after travelling and was stone broke it was THAT table tennis table I sold for £150, and THAT £150 (-minus £8 petrol, and a bag of percy pigs) which i spun into my poker bankroll, (over 3000x at peak) I was chatting to a girl who was in my form at school who I recently bumped into in London about my tuck shop and she said jokingly "shame it got closed down, you could have made it big"

awesome story <3

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: March 12, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

Surely the entrepreneur in you offered to run the failed tuck shop on behalf of the school,for a fee?

Cymru am byth
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

Be interested what the clever people of blonde think about this topic;

I'm a pretty big believer that one of the biggest contributor to social issues we face in the UK is lack of aspiration in young people. I was very lucky, I grew up with enterprising parents and went to a good school, it's one thing to say "You can be whatever you want David" but it's another to see it in action, my Dad had a successful business and went bankrupt when I was about 11/12, was obviously tough on him but he just dusted down, got a job for a year paid all his debts and started out again, that's pretty inspiring because it showed me that it's OK to fail, my Dad said he'd rather be scrapping about trying to do what he wants than accepting defeat (in his eyes) and conceding his ambitions, and I believe him fully. It never really worked out for him truthfully (I often wonder if he feels gutted about how things turned out or if he's chilled with it I genuinely don't know) but I have more respect for the man than imaginable because he never stopped trying, ever.

As lucky as I was, I think the reality for a lot of people growing up now is there is pretty much zero career aspiration in their lives, surrounding them is unemployment, recession this, doom and gloom that. When I was at school it was firmly believed that the only way to get going is to get to Uni and get a degree, I disagreed entirely with that at the time, and disagree even more now, but at least it offered some aspiration to people... Do well at school, go uni, get a first, get sick job, run up the ladder, start own business, buy yacht etc. Now with uni becoming less accessible and the fruits of a degree becoming less meaningful that's been taken away without a real replacement. I really like the apprenticeship schemes I think they are fantastic, and the people working on them are absolutely amazing people, but they are packaged and sold to kids pretty damn poorly - I has a 17yr old guy working for me and I had to really push him to go on the scheme when basically he'd get the same money, 1 day a week less physical work AND a qualification at the end (no brainer!!)

I know it's not the be all and end all and many many people end up really happy by working their way into an Ok job and having a family, but that's not exactly a big carrot for a 17yr old. I'm talking about the kind of encouragement that makes kids sit up and go, "bloody hell right if I can actually achieve that then i'm gonna really work hard and go for it." We all know life changes, things happen you rarely end up finishing on the same path you start out on at 18, but you need a path to follow.

For me, encouraging enterprise is the way out of this, yes create jobs etc but more important than anything, show people that IT IS POSSIBLE to get where you want to go, look there's John, remember when he was unemployed? Well look at him now running his own business, that's some inspiration people could actually relate too. Laura loves watching these "Britain on benefits" shows on TV, people get raged because X person doesn't work and gets £20k a yr or w/e but the most horrible thing I saw on one of those shows was an unemployed women sending her kids off to school, she told them that "school doesn't really matter, you don't use any of that stuff in life anyways" you could say about that women "HOW DISGUSTING SHE WOULD SAY THAT TO A CHILD" she's basically telling her kids that they don't have a chance of making anything of themselves, that the privileges and possibilities available to other kids are not for them, so why bother.  You can see why she believes this, how do we break that cycle?

Very happy to be told I'm wrong - this is one of the few political subjects I have any passion about so would love to hear some views!!!

Very true mate, whilst different people come from different backgrounds, if people aspire to a better job and life for themselves via training and education they have a very good chance to improve their lives. I simply don't agree that if you are born poor you can't do anything to improve yourself, that will never cut it with me I'm afraid....
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: