blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:15:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 536028 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: December 13, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »

Busy weekend, so was worried a bit for how yesterday would go, and it felt pretty tough.

12/10/8/15 for squats. The high ones feel ok, albeit there isn't much left. But the 8 feels annoying tough. 92.5, and really want 8-10 at 100 sooner rather than later. Couple of months ago I think I could have had it, but think I am just going through a few weeks of just not being that strong.

Bench today was interesting, one of the guys I see nearly everyday said he wasn't sure what he was going to do so I said jump in with me. Queue me forgetting how to count and messing up.

12/10/8/15 at 62.5 72.5, 92.5 and 62.5. Glad he was spotting for that 8, it was meant to be 82.5, I got a comfy-ish five, then went downhill pretty fast.

Rack pull and front squats for the rest of the week. I want to learn/throw in OH squats, so I may take out back squat for a few weeks if 95 is really tough and focus on OH. No idea how much training I will get in over Xmas, but being a member at Pure, it gives me much more flexibility.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 14, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »

Busy weekend, so was worried a bit for how yesterday would go, and it felt pretty tough.

12/10/8/15 for squats. The high ones feel ok, albeit there isn't much left. But the 8 feels annoying tough. 92.5, and really want 8-10 at 100 sooner rather than later. Couple of months ago I think I could have had it, but think I am just going through a few weeks of just not being that strong.

Bench today was interesting, one of the guys I see nearly everyday said he wasn't sure what he was going to do so I said jump in with me. Queue me forgetting how to count and messing up.

12/10/8/15 at 62.5 72.5, 92.5 and 62.5. Glad he was spotting for that 8, it was meant to be 82.5, I got a comfy-ish five, then went downhill pretty fast.

Rack pull and front squats for the rest of the week. I want to learn/throw in OH squats, so I may take out back squat for a few weeks if 95 is really tough and focus on OH. No idea how much training I will get in over Xmas, but being a member at Pure, it gives me much more flexibility.

That's some strong benching mate. Got to ask though why the odd numbers? I go 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 which fits my OCD perfectly. I could never manage all that .5 stuff. Are you counting the collars or something?

I managed a full set of 10 this morning on my last set which was nice. I've not done 10 at 100kg for quite a while after my long spell at low volume, first week was 4 or 5 think so some decent improvement there. Bent over rows are up to 80kg for 7 on my final set and chins are 4 x 6. Still struggling with my shoulder so OHP is only at 40kg and looking like staying there for a while yet.

Squats and DL are pretty poor at the moment but I think that's down to being tired and recovering from a cold. Interesting how I feel fine for bench but squat and DL are taking it out of me in a big way. Just shows how tough they are I suppose.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 15, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »

Tried something slightly different this morning. 4 sets of leg press pretty light for 10 reps making sure to get full range and get me fully warmed up for DL. Followed up with RDL for 4 x 10 at 20, 60, 80, 80kg. Deadlifts were pretty light but that's my plan at the moment. Just did 4 x 6 at 80kg focussing on form, staying tight and working on the breathing.

I'm going to try a slightly new routine for a few weeks. It'll be the same upper/lower/upper/lower that I've been doing for a while but focussing on a bench day, squat day, OHP day and DL day.

Still working on volume at the moment which for me means 8 to 10 rep targets. Couldn't get there on DL without gassing out but I think that'll come before long the same as it has with bench. I don't plan on increasing the weight until I can get the 4 x 10 then I'll slowly increase until I get bored and revert to low volume heavier stuff.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 15, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »

New killer exercise.. looks and sounds the easiest thing in the world..

pushing a jump box along arms wide long leg stance with weight on along a 40 foot run... varying it.. 15kg 6 runs.. x 3 - 4  ..jumped in with one of the premier PT's at the gym the other day ( what a mistake ).. we got up to 45kg for 2 runs x 4.. actually thought I was going to die.. spoke to my PT and he said as I want more cardio side to do less weight more runs..

I kid you not it is the hardest exercise ever... legs burn to hell and lungs feel like they are coming through your chest.. why do I love it .Huh? LoL

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 15, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

That's some strong benching mate. Got to ask though why the odd numbers? I go 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 which fits my OCD perfectly. I could never manage all that .5 stuff. Are you counting the collars or something?

I managed a full set of 10 this morning on my last set which was nice. I've not done 10 at 100kg for quite a while after my long spell at low volume, first week was 4 or 5 think so some decent improvement there. Bent over rows are up to 80kg for 7 on my final set and chins are 4 x 6. Still struggling with my shoulder so OHP is only at 40kg and looking like staying there for a while yet.

Squats and DL are pretty poor at the moment but I think that's down to being tired and recovering from a cold. Interesting how I feel fine for bench but squat and DL are taking it out of me in a big way. Just shows how tough they are I suppose.

Little 1.25 either side. I was really shocked with those, the numbers last time I felt tough, benching is never my strong point. But the 1.25's are my pals at the minute, just want to be adding one of those either side until we are at 100 for 8, lol see you all in 2020.

Yeah squats and DL's aren't the ones you want to do with lower energy levels. But you have bossed the bench for 20 years, you feel you are always going to be able to do that with all the confidence/repetition.

Thats actually a nice BOR there, how was grip? My grip really buckles at 80, I have to rep range it 5-8 as some days the thing just falls straight out.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 15, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »

Tried something slightly different this morning. 4 sets of leg press pretty light for 10 reps making sure to get full range and get me fully warmed up for DL. Followed up with RDL for 4 x 10 at 20, 60, 80, 80kg. Deadlifts were pretty light but that's my plan at the moment. Just did 4 x 6 at 80kg focussing on form, staying tight and working on the breathing.

I'm going to try a slightly new routine for a few weeks. It'll be the same upper/lower/upper/lower that I've been doing for a while but focussing on a bench day, squat day, OHP day and DL day.

Still working on volume at the moment which for me means 8 to 10 rep targets. Couldn't get there on DL without gassing out but I think that'll come before long the same as it has with bench. I don't plan on increasing the weight until I can get the 4 x 10 then I'll slowly increase until I get bored and revert to low volume heavier stuff.

Love the sound of that, rep ranges are the one, then increasing weight when the range is at the upper end.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 15, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »

pushing a jump box along arms wide long leg stance with weight on along a 40 foot run... varying it.. 15kg 6 runs.. x 3 - 4  ..jumped in with one of the premier PT's at the gym the other day ( what a mistake ).. we got up to 45kg for 2 runs x 4.. actually thought I was going to die.. spoke to my PT and he said as I want more cardio side to do less weight more runs..

I kid you not it is the hardest exercise ever... legs burn to hell and lungs feel like they are coming through your chest.. why do I love it .Huh? LoL

Is that like a prowler run? Prowler/sleds are unbelievably tough. I wish I had room for one at work, every session would finish on some push/pulls of it! Just value for time too, as its so dynamic. Great addition.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 15, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »

Is that like a prowler run? Prowler/sleds are unbelievably tough. I wish I had room for one at work, every session would finish on some push/pulls of it! Just value for time too, as its so dynamic. Great addition.
yup exactly... destroyer of souls this one looks so easy.. sooooooo tough

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 15, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »

yup exactly... destroyer of souls this one looks so easy.. sooooooo tough

Be really interested to see how heavy you can go with it. I see some people move some serious weight, and with your leg strength I see no reason why you couldn't get in that category.

A fitness guy pushed it for 24 hours a few weeks ago for charity. Think the sled was 150kg.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 15, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »

Yikes !.... Forgot to say it's a push at almost run pace .. I think I'll be keeping weight lowish and more reps...might throw in some big boy pushes to even it out 😳😳

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 16, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »

Front Squats yesterday,

8/6/4/10

Can't bring myself to do 15 rep fronts, so compromised with that.

RDLs coming along too, nearly at 100 for .

Split squat stuck a little at 32s. A very tough six.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 16, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »

Front Squats yesterday,

8/6/4/10

I used to do this sort of rep range quite often, pyramid up in weight and then a final light set to rep out. Really burns.

Do you ever do things like tri-sets, super-sets, drop-sets etc.? It a long time since I have but I know they used to be a great way to make sure you hit failure several times in a session.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 16, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »

Front Squats yesterday,

8/6/4/10

I used to do this sort of rep range quite often, pyramid up in weight and then a final light set to rep out. Really burns.

Do you ever do things like tri-sets, super-sets, drop-sets etc.? It a long time since I have but I know they used to be a great way to make sure you hit failure several times in a session.

Yup, but not in one sessions, spread out throughout the week. Typical sessions would be

Big lift 3-5 sets as long as I want for rest

Big accessory 3-4 sets
into (sometimes super setted, sometimes in isolation, it is dependant)
Big accessory 3-4 sets

Accessory 3 sets
into
Accessory
into
Core

Arms/Calves/Delts 3-5 rounds of something.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »

Little 1.25 either side. I was really shocked with those, the numbers last time I felt tough, benching is never my strong point. But the 1.25's are my pals at the minute, just want to be adding one of those either side until we are at 100 for 8, lol see you all in 2020.

Yeah squats and DL's aren't the ones you want to do with lower energy levels. But you have bossed the bench for 20 years, you feel you are always going to be able to do that with all the confidence/repetition.

Thats actually a nice BOR there, how was grip? My grip really buckles at 80, I have to rep range it 5-8 as some days the thing just falls straight out.

Good upper session for me this morning. Usual 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 for bench but I only managed 8 on the final set. Also squeezed in a cheeky little 120kg x 2 just to make sure I hadn't forgotten how to move anything a bit heavier and they were pretty easy. Could've made a couple more but still nursing the shoulder and didn't need to do any more as it was all about feeling the weight for the first time in a while to make sure the confidence stays there.

I've been experimenting a bit with my grip for bench. I want to go heavy next year so I've been overdosing on youtube videos and I've concluded that my usual 'suicide grip' might be a bit risky. I've switched to a full thumbs grip and was really squeezing the bar and making sure I kept tightness in my lats which really seemed to make things easier. I did notice that by focussing on lats and grip I was losing tightness in my core and legs so need to address that before trying some big weights next year.

160kg bench by the end of the year anyone??

Got the bent over row up to 90kg although that was only for 4 good reps and 2 half reps. 80kg was for the full 10 reps and sorry mate but the grip was fine 

Think I'd be at 120kg+ before the grip was the first thing to go and that isn't likely to be a problem any time soon.

Pushed the OHP up to 60kg for a couple of reps and they felt HEAVY although no shoulder pain so that's the most important thing.

Chins are getting to the point where I need to add some weight I think. Going to invest in a dipping belt soon so that I can push these a bit more. I think I could manage a set of 10 now but that would mess up my other 3 sets so still sticking to 4 x 6 for the time being. I'd prefer to add weight and keep the same rep range, maybe push to 8 but no higher than that.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 19, 2016, 09:53:40 AM »

Front Squats yesterday,

8/6/4/10

Yup, but not in one sessions, spread out throughout the week. Typical sessions would be

Big accessory 3-4 sets
into (sometimes super setted, sometimes in isolation, it is dependant)
Big accessory 3-4 sets

Accessory 3 sets
into
Accessory
into
Core

Arms/Calves/Delts 3-5 rounds of something.

Soooo many sets Cheesy

Think I'll stick to my usual 4 x 4 plus a few warm ups. Do you find it's difficult to maintain intensity over that many sets? Are some of them low weight and nowhere near failure just to get in the groove for your bigger sets? That's how I've been doing it these days, in the past every set was to failure but now the first couple there's always a bit left in the tank. I'd class 2 sets per exercise as true 'working sets'. The others are to get a feel for the movement and make sure it feels right before I go heavy.

What's your goal at the moment? Anything in particular or just ticking over until you feel ready to have a go at something exciting?

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: