blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 536050 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: December 19, 2016, 12:23:34 PM »

Little 1.25 either side. I was really shocked with those, the numbers last time I felt tough, benching is never my strong point. But the 1.25's are my pals at the minute, just want to be adding one of those either side until we are at 100 for 8, lol see you all in 2020.

Yeah squats and DL's aren't the ones you want to do with lower energy levels. But you have bossed the bench for 20 years, you feel you are always going to be able to do that with all the confidence/repetition.

Thats actually a nice BOR there, how was grip? My grip really buckles at 80, I have to rep range it 5-8 as some days the thing just falls straight out.

Good upper session for me this morning. Usual 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 for bench but I only managed 8 on the final set. Also squeezed in a cheeky little 120kg x 2 just to make sure I hadn't forgotten how to move anything a bit heavier and they were pretty easy. Could've made a couple more but still nursing the shoulder and didn't need to do any more as it was all about feeling the weight for the first time in a while to make sure the confidence stays there.

I've been experimenting a bit with my grip for bench. I want to go heavy next year so I've been overdosing on youtube videos and I've concluded that my usual 'suicide grip' might be a bit risky. I've switched to a full thumbs grip and was really squeezing the bar and making sure I kept tightness in my lats which really seemed to make things easier. I did notice that by focussing on lats and grip I was losing tightness in my core and legs so need to address that before trying some big weights next year.

160kg bench by the end of the year anyone??

Got the bent over row up to 90kg although that was only for 4 good reps and 2 half reps. 80kg was for the full 10 reps and sorry mate but the grip was fine 

Think I'd be at 120kg+ before the grip was the first thing to go and that isn't likely to be a problem any time soon.

Pushed the OHP up to 60kg for a couple of reps and they felt HEAVY although no shoulder pain so that's the most important thing.

Chins are getting to the point where I need to add some weight I think. Going to invest in a dipping belt soon so that I can push these a bit more. I think I could manage a set of 10 now but that would mess up my other 3 sets so still sticking to 4 x 6 for the time being. I'd prefer to add weight and keep the same rep range, maybe push to 8 but no higher than that.

Haha strong rows. I do really want 100s for rows. I did a 3x3 for dead stop rows earlier in the year, but the third rep my grip felt on fire.

Good numbers all round there!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: December 19, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

Front Squats yesterday,

8/6/4/10

Can't bring myself to do 15 rep fronts, so compromised with that.

RDLs coming along too, nearly at 100 for .

Split squat stuck a little at 32s. A very tough six.

I used to do this sort of rep range quite often, pyramid up in weight and then a final light set to rep out. Really burns.

Do you ever do things like tri-sets, super-sets, drop-sets etc.? It a long time since I have but I know they used to be a great way to make sure you hit failure several times in a session.

Yup, but not in one sessions, spread out throughout the week. Typical sessions would be

Big lift 3-5 sets as long as I want for rest

Big lift 3-5 sets as long as I want for rest

Big accessory 3-4 sets
into (sometimes super setted, sometimes in isolation, it is dependant)
Big accessory 3-4 sets

Accessory 3 sets
into
Accessory
into
Core

Arms/Calves/Delts 3-5 rounds of something.

Soooo many sets Cheesy

Think I'll stick to my usual 4 x 4 plus a few warm ups. Do you find it's difficult to maintain intensity over that many sets? Are some of them low weight and nowhere near failure just to get in the groove for your bigger sets? That's how I've been doing it these days, in the past every set was to failure but now the first couple there's always a bit left in the tank. I'd class 2 sets per exercise as true 'working sets'. The others are to get a feel for the movement and make sure it feels right before I go heavy.

What's your goal at the moment? Anything in particular or just ticking over until you feel ready to have a go at something exciting?

I haven't done a 5 set start for ages now, either 3-4. Average session probably has 20-30 sets. Try to get around 70-100 reps front and back for upper and lower.

I haven't trained to failure for years, nearly every set is about 1-2 from failure. A lot of my movement is trying to focus on the best it can be as opposed to the heaviest, yet trying to keep a challenging weight. Always have a few warm up sets before the big compound movements, normally just however many reps it takes to feel like I am in the groove.

Still just want to tick over. Always aiming for progression, so I guess you could say its a gain-taining phase. Not looking for anything specific just trying to enjoy it and get better. I have some 'loose numbers' I want to work to, but no major pressure in doing them. All of them will happen naturally if I just keep going.

Squat 100 for ten
Bench 100 for five
DL 200 for three-five
Pull ups 10
Chins 20
OHP 70 for three-five

Then have the mobility/gymnastic aims. Want to get the rings out moron 2017, and chase down a 1.25 500m row. Someone did throw out a 20-25mins 5k, but I dont have much motivation to run at the minute.

You?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 19, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »

I haven't done a 5 set start for ages now, either 3-4. Average session probably has 20-30 sets. Try to get around 70-100 reps front and back for upper and lower.

I haven't trained to failure for years, nearly every set is about 1-2 from failure. A lot of my movement is trying to focus on the best it can be as opposed to the heaviest, yet trying to keep a challenging weight. Always have a few warm up sets before the big compound movements, normally just however many reps it takes to feel like I am in the groove.

Still just want to tick over. Always aiming for progression, so I guess you could say its a gain-taining phase. Not looking for anything specific just trying to enjoy it and get better. I have some 'loose numbers' I want to work to, but no major pressure in doing them. All of them will happen naturally if I just keep going.

Squat 100 for ten
Bench 100 for five
DL 200 for three-five
Pull ups 10
Chins 20
OHP 70 for three-five

Then have the mobility/gymnastic aims. Want to get the rings out moron 2017, and chase down a 1.25 500m row. Someone did throw out a 20-25mins 5k, but I dont have much motivation to run at the minute.

You?

The failure thing is probably why I was a bit more of a beast back in my strong days. It was literally every set once the warm ups were out of the way.

I'm probably similar to you now with the aim being 1 to 2 from failure. Mostly it's for safety reasons as I train alone but also I just don't feel the need to push that hard any more.

Very similar goals to you at the moment, just tick over with some loose 'desirables' that if I don't hit I won't be too fussed about at all. I never used to have any goals other than turn up and train and I was never short of progress so I really don't see a problem with it as long as you're there.

Number targets are probably in a similar ball park. Slightly heavier but fewer reps without doubt. Not talking crazy singles but 2 to 4

Squat 120
Bench 140
DL 220
Chins + 20kg 8
BOR 120
OHP 100

These are quite optimistic and need me to stay injury free. Squat is easiest of all as I've already done it before. DL is way above my PB but it's still not a lot given my size so shouldn't be a problem if I take it steady. BOR could be tough but far from impossible especially as DL improves. OHP...... Hmmm.... That's the tough one without doubt. I've managed 80kg but that popped my shoulder. Probably a silly goal but I just fancy sticking 2 plates on a bar and pressing it over my head.

I think DL would be the first one to hit. Probably just start at 100kg for 4 x 6 twice per week and then add 10kg per week obviously adjusting reps as it gets heavier and also probably just going heavy once per week. The reps in the early weeks will help with technique so that hopefully by the time I hit the decent numbers I'm pretty good at them.

All done by end of March then on to the next one.....

Not sure if you've got chins/pull ups the opposite way round to me? 20 chins which I view as wide grip overhand would be ridiculously tough. 10 pull ups which I view as underhand biceps pull would be relatively easy.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: December 19, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »

Squat 100 for ten
Bench 100 for five
DL 200 for three-five
Pull ups 10
Chins 20
OHP 70 for three-five

You?

The failure thing is probably why I was a bit more of a beast back in my strong days. It was literally every set once the warm ups were out of the way.

I'm probably similar to you now with the aim being 1 to 2 from failure. Mostly it's for safety reasons as I train alone but also I just don't feel the need to push that hard any more.

Very similar goals to you at the moment, just tick over with some loose 'desirables' that if I don't hit I won't be too fussed about at all. I never used to have any goals other than turn up and train and I was never short of progress so I really don't see a problem with it as long as you're there.

Number targets are probably in a similar ball park. Slightly heavier but fewer reps without doubt. Not talking crazy singles but 2 to 4

Squat 120
Bench 140
DL 220
Chins + 20kg 8
BOR 120
OHP 100

These are quite optimistic and need me to stay injury free. Squat is easiest of all as I've already done it before. DL is way above my PB but it's still not a lot given my size so shouldn't be a problem if I take it steady. BOR could be tough but far from impossible especially as DL improves. OHP...... Hmmm.... That's the tough one without doubt. I've managed 80kg but that popped my shoulder. Probably a silly goal but I just fancy sticking 2 plates on a bar and pressing it over my head.

I think DL would be the first one to hit. Probably just start at 100kg for 4 x 6 twice per week and then add 10kg per week obviously adjusting reps as it gets heavier and also probably just going heavy once per week. The reps in the early weeks will help with technique so that hopefully by the time I hit the decent numbers I'm pretty good at them.

All done by end of March then on to the next one.....

Not sure if you've got chins/pull ups the opposite way round to me? 20 chins which I view as wide grip overhand would be ridiculously tough. 10 pull ups which I view as underhand biceps pull would be relatively easy.

Yeah training to failure is brutal, and I don't have that 5% brain power needed enough of the time to warrant it.

I train alone too, which is another factor, I guess I could grab someone to spot some of the time, so it isn't my main reason, but definitely plays a part when I squat, gotta trust the guy behind you.

I do REALLY want a 2 plate OHP, but I have SO much room to improve first. It is definitely a long term one, but can't see that happening in the short term. Those numbers are for next year at some point, a 2 plate OHP would be next 3-5 years I think.

They seem really appropriate numbers though, more than getable.

Yeah I call chins and pull ups the vice versa of you. Wide grip ten, underhand 20.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 19, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Went out Saturday so was pretty tired today so went upper body not lower body. Like doing squats on a monday because the rack is always free. But just didn't feel it today.

Added in a strength set for bench.

12/10/6-8/4-6/15

I am putting the rep ranges in as I am getting to the point now where it isn't a given.

65/75/85/95/65

Still feel there is progress there, so will crack on.

Got some good one arm rows out at 46 for today. Last rep on every set was pretty average, so will stick to them for a bit.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: December 19, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »

Went out Saturday so was pretty tired today so went upper body not lower body. Like doing squats on a monday because the rack is always free. But just didn't feel it today.

12/10/6-8/4-6/15

I am putting the rep ranges in as I am getting to the point now where it isn't a given.

65/75/85/95/65

Got some good one arm rows out at 46 for today. Last rep on every set was pretty average, so will stick to them for a bit.

Those bench numbers are really good. If you treated those first three sets as pure warm ups and just did 4 reps on each I reckon you'd be good for 105-110 doubles.

What I did today at 40, 60, 80, 100 for 10, 10, 10 and 8 isn't vastly different at all and I finished with a 120 for 2.

A lot of it is obviously in your head and that 'mistake' set last week has clearly helped out nicely as I doubt you'd have pushed 95 without it Smiley

Glad to see you working at ranges rather than fixed numbers. It's a much better way to progress for someone of your experience. Just do what feels right on those heavy bench sets and be prepared to stop if you know the next one isn't going to happen.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on these. 100 for 5 isn't far away at all.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 19, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »

12/10/6-8/4-6/15

65/75/85/95/65

Those bench numbers are really good. If you treated those first three sets as pure warm ups and just did 4 reps on each I reckon you'd be good for 105-110 doubles.

What I did today at 40, 60, 80, 100 for 10, 10, 10 and 8 isn't vastly different at all and I finished with a 120 for 2.

A lot of it is obviously in your head and that 'mistake' set last week has clearly helped out nicely as I doubt you'd have pushed 95 without it Smiley

Glad to see you working at ranges rather than fixed numbers. It's a much better way to progress for someone of your experience. Just do what feels right on those heavy bench sets and be prepared to stop if you know the next one isn't going to happen.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on these. 100 for 5 isn't far away at all.

Feel far more confident now on the bench than I have in a long time, so much was that mistake too!  just gave a lot of mental confidence. No way I get 5 out at 95 this week without it.

I hardly ever make mistakes, and I always check the weight, so the likelihood of that happening again is so small, which is annoying. Although it won't come as a surprise to either of us, mentally I am weaaaak.

I have used ranges for a while, unless I want a fixed volume. The more heavier stuff I try to use ranges on. I still want to make sure I am getting in good volume with the bench and squat, as I need reps in my tank for technique work, even more so with the bench as my arch just isn't good enough at the minute. Encouraging day though. Looking forward to next week.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »

Tough day yesterday. Squatted up to 100kg but felt a really bad hernia type pop on my second rep. I was really focussing on breathing and keeping tight around my core but the lower area around my groin obviously wasn't tight enough. I managed to get in for physio almost immediately just for some advice and she was saying that bracing against a belt is the opposite of what she'd expect to tighten the lower abdominal muscles that support the hip area and these were the ones which popped. She's given me some exercises to try to activate them so hopefully that will help. She how that one goes but it's definitely hit my confidence with squats.

Today was great. Benched 100kg for 10 with a few more in the tank then went on to 120kg for 3 unassisted. Bent over row up to 80kg for 8, OHP 60kg for 4 and a single set of 10 wide grip chins. Made up for yesterday in a decent way but tomorrow will be interesting when I'm back on lower. Still planning on squatting but very light. Clearly need to work my way up very slowly to make sure my core is at the same stage as my quads.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:25 PM »

Tough day yesterday. Squatted up to 100kg but felt a really bad hernia type pop on my second rep. I was really focussing on breathing and keeping tight around my core but the lower area around my groin obviously wasn't tight enough. I managed to get in for physio almost immediately just for some advice and she was saying that bracing against a belt is the opposite of what she'd expect to tighten the lower abdominal muscles that support the hip area and these were the ones which popped. She's given me some exercises to try to activate them so hopefully that will help. She how that one goes but it's definitely hit my confidence with squats.

Today was great. Benched 100kg for 10 with a few more in the tank then went on to 120kg for 3 unassisted. Bent over row up to 80kg for 8, OHP 60kg for 4 and a single set of 10 wide grip chins. Made up for yesterday in a decent way but tomorrow will be interesting when I'm back on lower. Still planning on squatting but very light. Clearly need to work my way up very slowly to make sure my core is at the same stage as my quads.

Seem some pretty strong numbers!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »

Squats came in at
12/10/8/15

75/85/95/75

I was wanting to do a set of six, but the 8 was really tough. Rest of the session went well, although had probably more chocolate in the last two days than I have in the entire year which is a little worrying. Christmas though right?
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 23, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »

Guys yous need to pick up the squats.  Given how much you all chat about the weights and diets we have a 12 year old girl in the gym she's been training 8 months she weights 59kg and she's squatting a 100kg for sets of 10.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 23, 2016, 10:41:50 PM »

Chocolate liqueurs broken out early doors this chrimbo Cheesy

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »

Guys yous need to pick up the squats.  Given how much you all chat about the weights and diets we have a 12 year old girl in the gym she's been training 8 months she weights 59kg and she's squatting a 100kg for sets of 10.

Genuinely hurts how poor my squat is. There are many, many, many girls out there comfortably out squat me. And thats without adding in my weight advantage.

But, I squat more than I did 12 months ago, and if you asked me that 12 months ago, I would take it. If I can squat more in 12 months time, I will take that too!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 24, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »

Chocolate liqueurs broken out early doors this chrimbo Cheesy

Chocolate levels are high. Will power is low.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 24, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »

Rack pulls yesterday.

12/10/8/6/15

130/150/170/190/130

Grip help out until the set of six, lower back feels it today, but definitely want to get some miles in there.

On talking about the squat, have got some weight lifting shoes and a belt to use for next year. Hopefully gives me some confidence and support, went in to try them today and enjoyed them. Didn't go to heavy as I was pretty stiff from yesterday.

Watched the DL coverage today on channel 5. Some amazing lifting, never seen DL's go so quick as Eddie and Jerry Pritchard.

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: