blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 536084 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »

Press day today. Did I real life fuck up, and absolutely smashed my funny bone into the door frame about an hour before. Which made the whole session quite uncomfortable.

3x5 DB OHP 32s. Reeeaaally struggled with the last rep. Had a spot which gave me a nudge. Even getting them in position was tough.
3x8 Bench 80kg (i'm proud of a lot of things I have managed to do fitness wise, but feeling my chest in the majority of my pressing makes me so happy. I can take or leave bench, I prefer OHP, but being able to go through the range and contract my chest the whole way and not huge triceps and shoulder genuinely makes me happy.
3x12 DB RDLs 44kg. Grip failed on the 12th every time
3x3 Plyo/power jumps. Basically jump onto the box
3x8 OAR 44kg, did these straight after RDLs and had to drop down in weight as I could barely hold the 50s.
3x8 Machine row.

Nice session today. Will try to get in a walk tomorrow pre travel and not over consume too much. Quite focused with food at the minute, and i am a greedy guy, so if I dont try to stay on top of it I end up eating my way through a kitchen until I feel sick.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: May 19, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »

Pressing seems to be really strong at the moment. Bench accessory day yesterday and got 3 x 7 speed bench press at 95kg then 3 x 7 narrow grip paused at 90kg.

It all seemed really easy, almost too easy, and I'm wondering if it was a lighter bar than normal as it was a bit narrow and felt a touch flimsy.

Assuming the bar was standard I think I'll be up to 100kg on both of these pretty soon which I'd be really pleased with.

Awesome numbers. Out of interest, what are the benefits of the speed press for it to work effectively as an accessory to the primary movement?

'Speed kills sticking points'

It helps develop power, plus its a good psychological break as well as you get to go a bit lighter/less reps and really 'manhandle' the weight.

Exactly as Harvey says.

I've always failed my max attempts at exactly the same spot so I've worked on it hugely over the last few months to try to help me hit 150kg. I'm strong off the chest and my lock out can be slow but once past a certain point it just keeps going. I have a point about 8" to 10" off the chest where if it stops it just won't get going again so I needed to find a way through it.

Through a bit of study I found out that speed and more importantly acceleration is the key to sticking points. If you can keep the weight moving as fast as possible through the strong part of your lift it has more chance of powering through the difficult part.

Best exercise by far for me is the banded bench press as you have no choice but to go quickly once you have a decent weight on the bar. If you go slowly on something that's getting heavier the further off your chest it gets you're going to have problems.

Standard bench but with speed are really good but I try to do them ridiculously fast with the mind set that if I was to let go of the bar I'd be throwing it through the gym roof. When it's light my whole body is moving off the bench because it's very explosive, as it gets heavier it obviously has to slow down but the intent is still there to do exactly the same thing and throw it through the ceiling.

Really seems to have helped me in recent months along with some other accessory work I've been doing.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: May 19, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »

Press day today. Did I real life fuck up, and absolutely smashed my funny bone into the door frame about an hour before. Which made the whole session quite uncomfortable.

3x5 DB OHP 32s. Reeeaaally struggled with the last rep. Had a spot which gave me a nudge. Even getting them in position was tough.
3x8 Bench 80kg (i'm proud of a lot of things I have managed to do fitness wise, but feeling my chest in the majority of my pressing makes me so happy. I can take or leave bench, I prefer OHP, but being able to go through the range and contract my chest the whole way and not huge triceps and shoulder genuinely makes me happy.
3x8 OAR 44kg, did these straight after RDLs and had to drop down in weight as I could barely hold the 50s.
3x8 Machine row.

Nice session today. Will try to get in a walk tomorrow pre travel and not over consume too much. Quite focused with food at the minute, and i am a greedy guy, so if I dont try to stay on top of it I end up eating my way through a kitchen until I feel sick.

You seem to be getting in some crazy volume recently.

Decent numbers on the DB OHP. I added these back in to my routine recently but I'm only at 20kg whilst I tentatively try to figure out if I can get back in to them without hurting myself. Surprising how difficult 20kg is when you haven't done them for a good while .

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: May 19, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »

Managed to get back up to 80kg for squats last night so I think my back issue is sorted.

Had an interesting physio session yesterday. She did some activation tests to see how my muscles were firing and it seems like my glutes and quads don't fire very well at all.

She got me to go from seated to standing and I barely use my glutes or quads at all which isn't ideal as they're big muscles and should be the prime movers. If I try to get up off a chair without any form of compensation I literally stay put and she said if I can't even stand up using just my quads, hips and glutes it's no wonder I struggle squatting more than 80kg.

She's got me going right back to basics so I now have a few drills to help gets things working properly over time. Seemed good last night during my squat session so going to stick at it and see how things develop.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: May 19, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »

PT has been playing golf in Portugal this week, so no training for me.

Tried to be half sensible with regards to food, and managed to do ok. Just under 210 this morning, and going to aim for a solid 4 weeks before I go.

Got a poker night in 2 weeks, but will limit myself to a few Coronas, and stay off the Vodka/Scotch, so I'm not in bits for 2/3 days after.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: May 19, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »

Pressing seems to be really strong at the moment. Bench accessory day yesterday and got 3 x 7 speed bench press at 95kg then 3 x 7 narrow grip paused at 90kg.

It all seemed really easy, almost too easy, and I'm wondering if it was a lighter bar than normal as it was a bit narrow and felt a touch flimsy.

Assuming the bar was standard I think I'll be up to 100kg on both of these pretty soon which I'd be really pleased with.

Awesome numbers. Out of interest, what are the benefits of the speed press for it to work effectively as an accessory to the primary movement?

'Speed kills sticking points'

It helps develop power, plus its a good psychological break as well as you get to go a bit lighter/less reps and really 'manhandle' the weight.

Exactly as Harvey says.

I've always failed my max attempts at exactly the same spot so I've worked on it hugely over the last few months to try to help me hit 150kg. I'm strong off the chest and my lock out can be slow but once past a certain point it just keeps going. I have a point about 8" to 10" off the chest where if it stops it just won't get going again so I needed to find a way through it.

Through a bit of study I found out that speed and more importantly acceleration is the key to sticking points. If you can keep the weight moving as fast as possible through the strong part of your lift it has more chance of powering through the difficult part.

Best exercise by far for me is the banded bench press as you have no choice but to go quickly once you have a decent weight on the bar. If you go slowly on something that's getting heavier the further off your chest it gets you're going to have problems.

Standard bench but with speed are really good but I try to do them ridiculously fast with the mind set that if I was to let go of the bar I'd be throwing it through the gym roof. When it's light my whole body is moving off the bench because it's very explosive, as it gets heavier it obviously has to slow down but the intent is still there to do exactly the same thing and throw it through the ceiling.

Really seems to have helped me in recent months along with some other accessory work I've been doing.

Just as a clarification for anyone reading, this isn't the best muscle building approach, but by far the best strength building approach.

A mix of fast and slow is probably the 'best' approach.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 19, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »

3x8 Machine row.

You seem to be getting in some crazy volume recently.

Decent numbers on the DB OHP. I added these back in to my routine recently but I'm only at 20kg whilst I tentatively try to figure out if I can get back in to them without hurting myself. Surprising how difficult 20kg is when you haven't done them for a good while .

Felt the fire the last few months.

I find DB OHP v tough just to get rock solid. The matrix benches are just awful so to gain tension is not an easy task.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 19, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »

Tried to be half sensible with regards to food, and managed to do ok. Just under 210 this morning, and going to aim for a solid 4 weeks before I go.

Got a poker night in 2 weeks, but will limit myself to a few Coronas, and stay off the Vodka/Scotch, so I'm not in bits for 2/3 days after.

Catching me up
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: May 19, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »

DLs

4x3 Pause (just off the floor) 130 followed by one amrap set of 10
3x10 Tension/Smith Squats
3x6 LPD
3x5 OHP 65kg. Felt good today, got a video of the second set that I really like. Looks a lot better/straighter than it felt.
3x8e Leg Ext
4x8-10 Inv Row
4x8-12 Cable Flye
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 19, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »

DLs

4x3 Pause (just off the floor) 130 followed by one amrap set of 10
3x10 Tension/Smith Squats
3x6 LPD
3x5 OHP 65kg. Felt good today, got a video of the second set that I really like. Looks a lot better/straighter than it felt.
3x8e Leg Ext
4x8-10 Inv Row
4x8-12 Cable Flye

Whatsapp me that video mate. Need to see how good you're getting at these.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: May 19, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »

Catching me up

Was 208 last week, but should be closing in on <200 again after the weekend.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 19, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »

Another really good bench day today Smiley

5 x 5 on the programme at 75% of 1RM but I went a bit heavier and did 105, 107.5, 110, 110, 107.5kg

Followed up with 3 x 3 at 125 with the slingshot which felt good but moved a touch slower than I had hoped.

When I hit my 145kg PR I did 5 x 5 at 110kg so slightly heavier but they weren't paused so today was definitely harder work. Also only did 3 x 3 at 120kg with the slingshot back then so a good improvement there.

Did some band work afterwards going up to 80kg plus the bands then finished off with some biceps and triceps.

Feeling really positive now with bench and I really want a new PR in a few weeks.

Pretty much repeated this today but it was 6 x 4 at 110kg plus 3 x 3 at 125kg with the slingshot.

Didn't feel particularly great as I had a slightly dodgy stomach but it's a good boost for the confidence to be ahead of target whilst not feeling 100%

When I got my PR last August I did 2 @ 107.5, 2 @ 110 and 2 @ 112.5kg but none of them were paused. Also went up to 135kg with the slingshot but again without a pause. Not pausing with the slingshot makes a huge difference as you really get to use the spring so I'd say today was at least on par but probably stronger.

Big drop in volume next week down to 3 x 2 at 85% which is 120kg and 3 singles with the slingshot at 90% which is 125kg

Would like to push these numbers a bit particularly the slingshot reps as it would be nice to feel 140kg in my hands ahead of a max attempt.

Exciting times Smiley

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: May 19, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »

Catching me up

Really impressive stuff mate.

I'm tempted to have a weigh in but going to leave it until after PR day. I've definitely lost a bit as I'm having to hutch my jeans up quite often and will soon be on hole number 3.

Lifting belt was a bit tight today but that was due to being a bit bloaty so not an issue.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 19, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

Catching me up

I'm tempted to have a weigh in but going to leave it until after PR day. I've definitely lost a bit as I'm having to hutch my jeans up quite often and will soon be on hole number 3.

Lifting belt was a bit tight today but that was due to being a bit bloaty so not an issue.

I have been pretty lazy with my cals over the last few weeks, but will drop the carbs, and keep it under 2500 for most days until I go.

I like to weigh in every Friday, as Monday will always give a false reading after the weekend. I fit in all my good clothes again, so I know I'm doing alright.

I'll be a bit bloaty on Monday Grin

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »

Catching me up

I have been pretty lazy with my cals over the last few weeks, but will drop the carbs, and keep it under 2500 for most days until I go.

I like to weigh in every Friday, as Monday will always give a false reading after the weekend. I fit in all my good clothes again, so I know I'm doing alright.

I'll be a bit bloaty on Monday Grin

You can afford to be lazy 20% of the time when you're good 80% of the time.

It's much more tolerable to diet when you can have a slip and not feel guilty, that's when it becomes more 'life style' than just a short term thing to lose a few pounds but then get fat again.

Are you enjoying your new eating regime?

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: