blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 535871 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: April 16, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »

Best day of the year training wise I think. Little bit nervous about it as had high expectations, not just on deadlifts but the leg press too. Has taken me a while to find an efficient position on this leg press, and although I am not in love with it I am starting to creep higher and higher.

BW last week (or two weeks ago not sure) was 85 and haven't weighed since so will use that.

Deadlifts

1x1 180
1x1 190

1x5 155
2x5 160

Leg Press

2x8 200
1x8 200 drop set 1x10 100.

Famers walks up at 46kg. Walk is probably around 20m there and 20m back but it is the turn that is the tough part.

Upped my leg ext too, quads are lagging so something I am conscious of. Worst body parts of quads and chest which is probably the complete opposite to 99% of gym goers.

Really good day though. Inc bench earlier in the week went horribly so was touch and go with the confidence. But found a higher gear today. Definitely going to go for a 1x1 200 and 1x5 170 before the end of the month. Whether it works is a different matter.

Rumour is me and Rich are having training together next weekend. Not sure where my head will be at, as me and him tend to talk a lot, twice in the last few months we have talked for 'five mins' that lasts an hour. So might not be concentrating too much, but we shall see.

Everyone else's week?
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 16, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »

Best day of the year training wise I think. Little bit nervous about it as had high expectations, not just on deadlifts but the leg press too. Has taken me a while to find an efficient position on this leg press, and although I am not in love with it I am starting to creep higher and higher.

BW last week (or two weeks ago not sure) was 85 and haven't weighed since so will use that.

Deadlifts

1x1 180
1x1 190

1x5 155
2x5 160

Leg Press

2x8 200
1x8 200 drop set 1x10 100.

Famers walks up at 46kg. Walk is probably around 20m there and 20m back but it is the turn that is the tough part.

Upped my leg ext too, quads are lagging so something I am conscious of. Worst body parts of quads and chest which is probably the complete opposite to 99% of gym goers.

Really good day though. Inc bench earlier in the week went horribly so was touch and go with the confidence. But found a higher gear today. Definitely going to go for a 1x1 200 and 1x5 170 before the end of the month. Whether it works is a different matter.

Rumour is me and Rich are having training together next weekend. Not sure where my head will be at, as me and him tend to talk a lot, twice in the last few months we have talked for 'five mins' that lasts an hour. So might not be concentrating too much, but we shall see.

Everyone else's week?

I hope you're referring to the deadlift, and not the incline bench Tongue

Currently transitioning from yoga into hypertrophy. Upward bow is an absolute staple; crow pose is almost a solid headstand; about 2 inches away from front splits.

I know for a lot of people yoga is an absolute snore, but I've noticed a huge amount of progress in such a short space of time (inb4 n00b gains) and it IMMEDIATELY transfers to my weightlifting. I'm so much more aware of how my body lines up now, gives me a much easier time assessing myself and so on. All of my clients/classes have enjoyed the benefits of it so far. I'm not down with the spiritual bullshit that comes with it, but the ideas behind active stretching and core integration are so key. I would 100% recommend to anyone from old lady to rugby player.

In terms of hypertrophy, just doing 4 compound movements @ 3x10, 2 isolations @ 3x15. Couldn't be simpler right now. Noticing some pretty tasty back definition and some massively improved straight-arm scapula strength. Not forcing anything and the numbers are flying up.

I'm going to be rammed in May, but should still be able to find some time for a group session. If we can find some time in April tho that would work loads better.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 18, 2016, 06:21:13 PM »

All good for me still. 120kg bench again this morning for 3 reps. I didn't feel great after 100kg so confidence wasn't ideal but the first rep just flew up. If I can do that on what felt like a bad day I might try a little increase next week depending how I feel on the day.

I don't want to get stuck at 120kg so I'm seriously considering a bit of a change soon. Might switch to dumbbell for a while just to break the cycle a bit and keep things fresh. I'm not bored of the routine at all I'm just cautious of hitting a plateau. Would be interesting to see what I can do at the moment with dumbbells. My bench is as strong as ever so maybe the 50s could be a possibility.....

Press ups are coming along nicely. Currently 200 ahead of schedule and in a great routine for getting further ahead.

Good stuff from everyone else as usual. Can't fault Sean with the yoga. When I used to do BJJ I often thought of doing yoga or pilates as an assistance exercise. The core strength they build is immense and they would've definitely helped me. If there had been an extra hour in the day I might have got round to it Cheesy

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 18, 2016, 10:11:28 PM »

After Physio last Weds I was still a bit sore and lacked mobility but did both sessions on Fri/Sat with upper body day going well and legs being done at 60% as per instructions and leaving out dead lifts but keeping squats and I have added calf raises (machine) and leg ext into it and didn't feel any effects over the weekend.

My back has started to ease off a tad now so I am going to keep legs at 60% this week as have another physio appt on Weds and on upper body days am adding in the Romanian DL back in and as I have shown progress on the weights since the start of this phase am going to start off with one set of Wide Grip chins before Lat PD and finish with some close grip chins to finish this week and dependent on how we go will swap over Lat PD and close grip under hand pull downs with those two exercises for the final week next week before the final phase starts on wc May 2nd.

The one thing I regret prior to the start of this is not finding out what my 1 rep max's were so I could have measured my progress this way from start to finish.

Good work from everyone in here recently, keep it up.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 18, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »

All good for me still. 120kg bench again this morning for 3 reps. I didn't feel great after 100kg so confidence wasn't ideal but the first rep just flew up. If I can do that on what felt like a bad day I might try a little increase next week depending how I feel on the day.

I don't want to get stuck at 120kg so I'm seriously considering a bit of a change soon. Might switch to dumbbell for a while just to break the cycle a bit and keep things fresh. I'm not bored of the routine at all I'm just cautious of hitting a plateau. Would be interesting to see what I can do at the moment with dumbbells. My bench is as strong as ever so maybe the 50s could be a possibility.....

Press ups are coming along nicely. Currently 200 ahead of schedule and in a great routine for getting further ahead.

Good stuff from everyone else as usual. Can't fault Sean with the yoga. When I used to do BJJ I often thought of doing yoga or pilates as an assistance exercise. The core strength they build is immense and they would've definitely helped me. If there had been an extra hour in the day I might have got round to it Cheesy

I would love to get stuck at 120  Grin

I am doing my own yoga mix every Friday too now. It is fun, cos I am so poor with it al.

You still in four times a week Matt?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 18, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

I would love to get stuck at 120  Grin

I am doing my own yoga mix every Friday too now. It is fun, cos I am so poor with it al.

You still in four times a week Matt?

Yeah still on Monday to Thursday plus 4 or 5 evenings a week for stretching and press ups. Managed 185 tonight which is my best yet.

Thinking of switching back to a split routine in the next few weeks for a month or two. Would probably do back, shoulders, legs and chest. Would be targeting my old 4 exercises for 4 x 8 which I always enjoyed. The upper/lower split has been great for me but it's definitely time for a little change.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 19, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »

Did a full legs routine this morning including squats, RDL, leg extension and leg curl.

My squats are coming on really nicely now and I'm getting good depth at 90kg.

Have to admit my RDL is pretty shit and this probably explains why my deadlift is so shocking. I was watching one of the Alan Thrall videos and he reckons you shouldn't even attempt deadlifts until you can do a proper RDL. Seems to make sense to me but what's everybody else's thoughts?

The video where he talks about it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA

Opinions?

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »

Did a full legs routine this morning including squats, RDL, leg extension and leg curl.

Have to admit my RDL is pretty shit and this probably explains why my deadlift is so shocking. I was watching one of the Alan Thrall videos and he reckons you shouldn't even attempt deadlifts until you can do a proper RDL. Seems to make sense to me but what's everybody else's thoughts?

The video where he talks about it is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA

Opinions?

Yeah deadlifts are tough. RDL is definitely the regression to it. If I am fatigued or not in the mind frame I just RDL. Still RDL once a week regardless.

Hip hinging is probably the key to the fitness part of it all (i.e. injury prevention).

I don't think everyone 'has' to do deads/squats. The aim would be to at some point, but don't run before you can walk as they say. The reason always goes down to why, if you aren't focused on total strength you can definitely make a program that will work without deads and squats. Well you can clearly make a program without any of them but it may not be 'optimal'.

His beard is also incredible.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 19, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »

Opinions?

Yeah deadlifts are tough. RDL is definitely the regression to it. If I am fatigued or not in the mind frame I just RDL. Still RDL once a week regardless.

Hip hinging is probably the key to the fitness part of it all (i.e. injury prevention).

I don't think everyone 'has' to do deads/squats. The aim would be to at some point, but don't run before you can walk as they say. The reason always goes down to why, if you aren't focused on total strength you can definitely make a program that will work without deads and squats. Well you can clearly make a program without any of them but it may not be 'optimal'.

The hip hinge is what I'm currently focussing on. In his squat videos he talks about 'breaking at the hips' meaning that your hips go first, not your knees. I've never really thought about that before but I really concentrated on it today and will continue to do so. I don't know what used to happen but now I'll make sure it's hips first.

My problem with deadlifts is that I never used to do them so I haven't built any of the core strength needed for them. I'm going to keep the RDL in my routine and work up to deadlifts slowly. Definitely want to do them but only when I'm completely ready. It might mean some bar only stuff but I can be patient.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »

Opinions?

The hip hinge is what I'm currently focussing on. In his squat videos he talks about 'breaking at the hips' meaning that your hips go first, not your knees. I've never really thought about that before but I really concentrated on it today and will continue to do so. I don't know what used to happen but now I'll make sure it's hips first.

My problem with deadlifts is that I never used to do them so I haven't built any of the core strength needed for them. I'm going to keep the RDL in my routine and work up to deadlifts slowly. Definitely want to do them but only when I'm completely ready. It might mean some bar only stuff but I can be patient.

For sure, hips go first, knees stay strong. Loads of little technique tweaks we can talk about if we ever get time for a group session.

Work with the RDL though, you are in no rush. And you seem really open minded about it all, so you are undoubtedly going to succeed with it. Patience is they key, which you seem to have in abundance. Have a few things to talk about with you, but typing it out seems such a drain. If we can't organise a date soon, will just give you a ring or something, as it could really benefit you.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 21, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »

Opinions?

I really like his approach. I sat down for a chat with the head coach at my gym the other day and he was talking about something similar. Getting the body to move correctly IS strength training.

One of the guys I used to train with posted a video of him leg pressing 560kg. Crazy strong right?! Why is it the same guy can't squat parallel, can't press overhead while standing, and can't touch his toes? Because he isn't strong, he's a dysfunctional mess and truly exemplifies running before learning to walk.

Keep throwing the RDL in with legs and you will get to deadlifting in no time. As Harvey says, you've got plenty of time and plenty of patience!

Can't wait to get the dowel rod out for some corrective movements :p
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »

I've decided to stick with 5x5 but try to do a little more accessory work in to improve on some of my weaker points (specifically chest and arms). There's a little bit of vanity thrown in too. What do you guys reckon?

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Reverse crunch 3x20 with 30secs plank x3
Hanging leg raises 3xAMAP

Wednesday:
Overhead press 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Incline bench 3x10
Press ups 3x20
Dips 3xAMAP

Friday:
Barbell Row 5x5
Seated dumbbell curl 3x10
Single arm preacher curls 3x10
Incline bench barbell curls 3x10
Pull ups 3xAMAP
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 24, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »

Yesterday had a pretty inspiring day all round as hooked up with Harvey in Loughborough where we attended a wellness and nutrition seminar for 3/4 of the day run for free by some pretty successful people on FB and whilst some of what they said was geared around the message they want to promote it was thought provoking.

We then headed to the Uni campus and found our way to the power base gym and managed to blag a free session by telling the guy on reception we were up from Essex for a seminar and heading back in a couple of hours and after telling us it's normally £10 each he said as you are here just go through.

The gym was immense and it's rare I would feel intimidated or inferior in my gym and probably less so Harvey but this place everywhere you looked were unbelieveable specimins of youth with the girls doing weights that some guys would be proud of and making it look easy.

It was massive with at least 10 Squat racks and a big message in various places around the gym  "WHERE HISTORY BEGINS"

It's pretty hard not to be inspired seeing this and we had a good session where Harvey sorted out some form issues I had on Squat firstly and the RDL which I realize have probably contributed to my back injury but despite trying to keep up with Harvey for the rest of the session and 1x3 at 110k box squat I felt no issues today so it was definitely form or lack of causing some of the injury.

This was the place, albeit only 1/2 of the actual space and equipment

Motivated to smash it up this week and continue the upward curve and a big thanks to Harvey for his time.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 24, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »

I've decided to stick with 5x5 but try to do a little more accessory work in to improve on some of my weaker points (specifically chest and arms). There's a little bit of vanity thrown in too. What do you guys reckon?

Monday:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Reverse crunch 3x20 with 30secs plank x3
Hanging leg raises 3xAMAP

Wednesday:
Overhead press 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Incline bench 3x10
Press ups 3x20
Dips 3xAMAP

Friday:
Barbell Row 5x5
Seated dumbbell curl 3x10
Single arm preacher curls 3x10
Incline bench barbell curls 3x10
Pull ups 3xAMAP

1 set of deads a week? Is life even worth living now?

Pretty balanced out. Any reason you choose three days a week or is it just a case of fitting it in?

Looks pretty balanced though, I would do more tricep than bicep stuff, but pressing is my weak spot.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 24, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »

Yesterday had a pretty inspiring day all round as hooked up with Harvey in Loughborough where we attended a wellness and nutrition seminar for 3/4 of the day run for free by some pretty successful people on FB and whilst some of what they said was geared around the message they want to promote it was thought provoking.

We then headed to the Uni campus and found our way to the power base gym and managed to blag a free session by telling the guy on reception we were up from Essex for a seminar and heading back in a couple of hours and after telling us it's normally £10 each he said as you are here just go through.

The gym was immense and it's rare I would feel intimidated or inferior in my gym and probably less so Harvey but this place everywhere you looked were unbelieveable specimins of youth with the girls doing weights that some guys would be proud of and making it look easy.

It was massive with at least 10 Squat racks and a big message in various places around the gym  "WHERE HISTORY BEGINS"

It's pretty hard not to be inspired seeing this and we had a good session where Harvey sorted out some form issues I had on Squat firstly and the RDL which I realize have probably contributed to my back injury but despite trying to keep up with Harvey for the rest of the session and 1x3 at 110k box squat I felt no issues today so it was definitely form or lack of causing some of the injury.

This was the place, albeit only 1/2 of the actual space and equipment

Motivated to smash it up this week and continue the upward curve and a big thanks to Harvey for his time.

Ditto on the gym, would love to train there all round. Seeing 18 year old guys/girls just smash OL and powerlifting is awesome. Always feel I am pretty well rounded but would be lucky to scrape out the bottom 10% of performers in there. Great form and work ethic and some seriously strong people, speshly for age/weight.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: