blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530748 times)
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »

Funnily enough i did deadlift 100kg today! Rather than reading this thread though that was down to pure laziness with the plate math Cheesy did it with no problems i'm happy to say.

Strong points thus far are probably squats. I've progressed steadily with the weight without many hiccups so far, not quite going ATG but consistently beneath parallel. 100kg by the end of the year feels like a lot, especially when i only weigh ~67kg and my 70kg squats today were definitely difficult, but my progress in this department makes me feel like i should make it one of my aims to try and get there.

Weak point are definitely my presses. Bench i struggle with a bit, but overhead press i really find difficult. My shoulders just seem to empty by around the 4th set and by the 5th i don't have the strength to get the bar up. I train alone so wary of pushing myself too hard in this aspect without a dedicated spotter to help. More food, more rest between sets and perhaps hitting these movements at the start of my training are adjustments i'll start to make. Any other suggestions?

Would be interested to see people's overhead press numbers in particular if they wouldn't mind sharing.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 10:48:59 PM »

Squat 110kg
Deadlift 90kg
Bench Press 90kg
Dumbell Bench Press 34kg each
Dumbell Shoulder Press 26kg each

Are my personal bests for the exercises I am measuring one rep max with. Current short term goal is to get to 40kg dumbells for the dumbell bench press and also to get to ten pull-ups in a row, as I suck at pull-ups. By the end of the year I'd be over the moon to get my deadlift and bench press both to 100kg.

Technically I have deadlifted 100kg, but my technique was terrible and it didn't count.

Solid numbers.

What aspect do you struggle with deadlifts with? Rounded back? Lockout? Grip?

I think adding 10kg in 4 months is really realistic, depending on training schedule and reps/sets. But think you have it in you. last time we spoke you were on a good roll with it all, so have lots of faith.

Previously it was rounded back, and to a lesser extend grip. So I dropped down a load of weights, really worked on my form and the rounded back isn't a problem anymore.

Which part is the 'lockout'? My weakest point by far now is the inital part getting the weight off the ground.

Deadlift is simultaneously my favourite and most hated exercise. Hate doing them, feel rock hard after doing them.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »

Right, be gentle with me. I weigh 10 stone dripping wet. I am about 5 foot 9. I am fairly sure I have weighed within half a stone of 10 stone since I have been 15, am going to be 28 this year.

In terms of muscle, am very weak. Never played any sport regularly. Current exercise is next to nothing and am very unfit. Job is sedentary.

Just attempted press-ups and could do 15 slow and steady.

I suspect my nutrition is poor. I very rarely eat breakfast, most mornings is coffee and perhaps a snack if I can grab one. Lunch is a meal deal from Tesco or something similar. Dinner is a mixture of decent home made stuff (chilli, spag bol, curry) and pre-made finest tesco food. Usually one takeaway a week. If food was available in pill form then would do that, have been trying to eat more recently but just can't seem to put on any meaningful weight.

Basically when it comes down to it, I am unhappy with my body/weight and am doing nothing to help. I would like to be 11 stone, I don't think it would hurt to chuck it on in fat but it would make more sense to get a bit of muscle too.

What sort of things can I be doing to get there healthily?

Can't go wrong with buying a set of dumbells and looking up on the net what exercises to do for beginners. Just start very light and concentrate on form. The weights will feel too light at first, but you will ache the day after for a week or two. Once you have form down you can progress with the weight.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »

Funnily enough i did deadlift 100kg today! Rather than reading this thread though that was down to pure laziness with the plate math Cheesy did it with no problems i'm happy to say.

Strong points thus far are probably squats. I've progressed steadily with the weight without many hiccups so far, not quite going ATG but consistently beneath parallel. 100kg by the end of the year feels like a lot, especially when i only weigh ~67kg and my 70kg squats today were definitely difficult, but my progress in this department makes me feel like i should make it one of my aims to try and get there.

Weak point are definitely my presses. Bench i struggle with a bit, but overhead press i really find difficult. My shoulders just seem to empty by around the 4th set and by the 5th i don't have the strength to get the bar up. I train alone so wary of pushing myself too hard in this aspect without a dedicated spotter to help. More food, more rest between sets and perhaps hitting these movements at the start of my training are adjustments i'll start to make. Any other suggestions?

Would be interested to see people's overhead press numbers in particular if they wouldn't mind sharing.

For me I just became fixated with OHP, for years I didn't care. Then I watched the strongman stuff and was like I wanna do that. I don't rate my technique that high, I actually think I do it quite ineffectively, but I just love doing it. Was doing 4x6 at 60kg at my peak.

Definitely hit it at the start. All my primary lifts I open a session with. Try diff reps at sets. 3x3, 3x8, 5x10 etc. Different stimulus causes different/faster/stronger adaptation. I also think a well rounded shoulder routine is crucial, t-bar press/db press/shrug/raise etc. I think you have to go against BW. So any lift you hit BW with is very very good to start with. I think first 1/2 years BW is good. 2-5 years you are aiming for 2xBW, 5 onwards you are going for that elusive 3x. But as your BW increases, so will your lifts. So its always a tough task.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »

Squat 110kg
Deadlift 90kg
Bench Press 90kg
Dumbell Bench Press 34kg each
Dumbell Shoulder Press 26kg each

Are my personal bests for the exercises I am measuring one rep max with. Current short term goal is to get to 40kg dumbells for the dumbell bench press and also to get to ten pull-ups in a row, as I suck at pull-ups. By the end of the year I'd be over the moon to get my deadlift and bench press both to 100kg.

Technically I have deadlifted 100kg, but my technique was terrible and it didn't count.

Solid numbers.

What aspect do you struggle with deadlifts with? Rounded back? Lockout? Grip?

I think adding 10kg in 4 months is really realistic, depending on training schedule and reps/sets. But think you have it in you. last time we spoke you were on a good roll with it all, so have lots of faith.

Previously it was rounded back, and to a lesser extend grip. So I dropped down a load of weights, really worked on my form and the rounded back isn't a problem anymore.

Which part is the 'lockout'? My weakest point by far now is the inital part getting the weight off the ground.

Deadlift is simultaneously my favourite and most hated exercise. Hate doing them, feel rock hard after doing them.

A lot of people struggle with rounded back. But having a strong squat will help core strength. The lockout is the top part. So pushing hips through, glutes engaged, neutral posture.

Fantastic exercise for overall strength. Outside Olympic Lifts, this thread should be around Deadlifts imo. 
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »

Okay I'm in for the chin-up challenge. Underhand grip, hands as close or far apart as you like, bodyweight, dead-hang, as many reps as possible. Seem good?

For dumbbell bench press challenge, are we talking 1 rep max? Or as many as we can get with the 50's?

Here's my numbers and my target numbers by year end. All are 1 rep max.

Deadlift: 165 / 200
Squat: 110 / 140
Bench: 100 / 120
Push Press: 77.5 / 100
Strict OHP: 67.5 / no target

I know these targets seem a little optimistic but if you shoot for the moon and miss, you still land amongst the stars (I appreciate that in astronomy terms this makes no sense whatsoever.) I'm eating well, I'm training hard, I'm really looking after myself, and I'm feeling strong right now. In two weeks time when I finish my hypertrophy program, I'm going to be following Wendler's 5/3/1 program and testing my 1 rep max every 4 weeks. I reckon I got this.

Getting my excuses in early as well: for those that don't know, I'm rehabilitating my right knee. It seems to have been behaving itself a bit more lately, although yesterday I did smash it against a wall while doing wall-assisted handstand push-ups. This is why my squat number is a little low right now, but I'm expecting it will fly up.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:12:26 PM by zerofive » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »

Prefer over hand wide grip personally as below:

Will do underhand if it gets the majority vote but I think wide grip chins are the ones that really separate the men from the boys.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

Assuming no straps allowed of course.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »

For dumbbell bench press challenge, are we talking 1 rep max? Or as many as we can get with the 50's?

Much prefer something with a minimum of 4 reps to be honest. I've never liked one rep max and with dumbbells you're getting to dangerous levels just picking them up, getting in to place and putting them down again when you hit more than 50.

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »

Chins/pull-ups: Yeh let's see what gets majority vote. I don't mind either way.

DB bench: agree, let's shoot for a 3 or 4RM. See what others think.

All lifts: No straps, no suits, no bands etc. Chalk and belt should be allowed but obviously optional.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »

Much prefer something with a minimum of 4 reps to be honest. I've never liked one rep max and with dumbbells you're getting to dangerous levels just picking them up, getting in to place and putting them down again when you hit more than 50.

Yeah, agree for DBs 1 seems pretty stupid. Happy for a 4-6 range? My gym only goes up to 50, so after that it becomes a matter of reps.

Regarding pull ups, couldnt agree more that wides are the one. I am happy with either. I do want my wide improving, so happy to go wide. Strapless of course.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:14 AM »

Chins/pull-ups: Yeh let's see what gets majority vote. I don't mind either way.

DB bench: agree, let's shoot for a 3 or 4RM. See what others think.

All lifts: No straps, no suits, no bands etc. Chalk and belt should be allowed but obviously optional.

In
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »

Managed 36kg dumbbells this morning for a reasonably easy 6 reps. First time I've done them with any decent weight for ages so I was really pleased. 50kg here we come!!!

Shall we say 3 reps minimum for it to count?

Two of us prefer a few more, one prefers just the one so 3 seems a decent compromise.

Spotter is obviously allowed for safety but can't help in any way whatsoever.

If anyone wants to add an extra element of difficulty we can say that you have to place them back down rather than throw/drop them.

Challenge one will have to be first to reach 50kg for 3 reps I guess seeing as Harvey hasn't got access to anything bigger. Decide on something different once (if!!) one of us gets there.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »

Definitely up for a 50kg challenge, I think you are a huge favourite still (just because you know you can do it), but a lot depends on when we both come out of a rehab phase. Either way, I am going to give it a good go to give you a fair challenge.

Agree completely with this. It's incredible how being positive about something in the gym helps with getting it done.

Never underestimate the power of the mind!!

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »

Managed 36kg dumbbells this morning for a reasonably easy 6 reps. First time I've done them with any decent weight for ages so I was really pleased. 50kg here we come!!!

Shall we say 3 reps minimum for it to count?

Two of us prefer a few more, one prefers just the one so 3 seems a decent compromise.

Spotter is obviously allowed for safety but can't help in any way whatsoever.

If anyone wants to add an extra element of difficulty we can say that you have to place them back down rather than throw/drop them.

Challenge one will have to be first to reach 50kg for 3 reps I guess seeing as Harvey hasn't got access to anything bigger. Decide on something different once (if!!) one of us gets there.

I like 3, I am going to be over the moon if I can get them up, one of my spotters loves to help you get them to the top, and you take it from there? I am more if you can't push it 'out of the hole' form the start, you can't do it. But no problem with a spotter helping anyone be safe, and get them in position.

I like your thoughts on placing them down. I think that you have to be in control, I don't expect a silent put down/back onto the knees like a 20kg. But the third push can't be followed by a drop if that makes sense?

You are so right about the mind. I think for me its 90%. All strength logic says I should be able to do X. But doing X scares me, so I don't commit. But seeing other people do it, definitely helps me. I think we are all starting pretty similar. I had 34kg for 3x8 yesterday. So should be really interesting seeing how quick we progress.

As a total aside, Matt do you use pre workout/coffee/stimulants?

August I am trying to go caffeine free, and noticed a huge drop in motivation/strength/buzz in the gym.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: