blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:57:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533597 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 03, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »

Might start a diary and track everything once I'm in a good routine, but for now I'll bang it in here.

I went a couple times before xmas, with my brother. Between the pair of us, we've both been ill for most of the last month, but we went up yesterday.

My brother can only train twice a week, so I'm a bit stuck as I need someone to train with me in my present state.

Close to a solution, as I've caught hold of one of the lads I trained with before I went into hospital at end of 2011. He now has his own clients training out of the gym, so I'm going to throw him some dough, and see if I can get myself up there 4x a week.

Not thought about it in any more depth than that, but will prob go back to my old 4 day split, and we can both have a good laugh at how useless my legs/core are nowadays Cheesy

Chest/Bi

Flat BB Bench

40x8
50x8
60x8
70x4

Inc DB Press

12.5 x 8
17.5 x 8
22.5 x 5 +2assisted

Inc DB Flies

2x 7.5 x 8
2x 10  x 8
1x 15 x 6

Con Curls

7.5 x 8
10   x 8
12.5 x 8

Seated DB Curls

7.5 x 8
10x 8
12.5 x 6 & couple 1/2 reps

Better than I expected having not really done a thing for over 3 years, and now that I struggle to lift my ass out of the office chair Cheesy

Weighed myself at 256lbs on Monday morning, which was 10lbs lighter than my heaviest of 266, before Xmas.

Loving all of that!

My chest isn't today, that's for sure!

Hopefully training will enforce a better sleep routine again, as I've been all over the shop since xmas.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 03, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »

Good work Marky. Hope to see you as a regular presence in this thread.

Cheers mate, that's the plan Smiley

Hey Marky good to see you back.

Any specific goals at the moment or are you just trying to get in to the habit of attending and then take it from there?

Cheers Matt, was enjoyable being back in the gym.

Lose some unwanted timber, and lift heavier weights than I am now.

If I can get to looking somewhere similar to how I was in the summer 2011, that'll do for starters.

So, that's 3 stone to ditch, and big chunk of bodyfat, too!

Start by getting from 2-4 sessions a week, and hopefully back under 17 stone before Tenerife in March.

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 03, 2016, 11:07:16 PM »

Harvey & Matt, how's Sunday 21st? You guys need to see this gym; we can go over a few movements any of us have trouble with, hit some dynamic strength stuff, and finish off with a metabolic circuit on the prowler. Thoughts? Cheesy
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 04, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »

Harvey & Matt, how's Sunday 21st? You guys need to see this gym; we can go over a few movements any of us have trouble with, hit some dynamic strength stuff, and finish off with a metabolic circuit on the prowler. Thoughts? Cheesy

Should work for me
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 04, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »

Seeing as you made the point in your first post I'll ask you the question..... What are your qualifications and experience? How often do you train and where? What are your goals from your training and how have you developed over the years?

BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
BWLA Senior Coach
Competed at 1998 Commonwealth games.

British champion weightlifter from schoolboy to masters level @ various weights.  

Had a few(6) years out due to personal circumstances.  

I started training again 18 months ago and have won the British/European and World Masters titles in the 69kg class at my age group.  

I coach and mentor some top class under 18 athletes at the moment.   Both in weightlifting and strength training for other sports.  

PB's 122.5kg snatch, 148kg C&J in 69kg class.  
B/Squat 205k @ 70kg, F/Squat 165kg.  

My lifting now is well below the above, but I don't train as hard or as seriously as I once did.  Also as a result of injury to my knees I find it difficult to now do full squats.   So all my work is power based.   Currently power snatching 92kg, PC&J 115kg.  P/Squat 145kg @ 68kg.  

Coaching achievement - I currently coach a 15 year old who I strongly believe if he knuckles down will take a medal at the 2022 commonwealth games.  I think he could qualify for the 2018 games if he keeps progressing at the rate he is now.  at 15 weighing in at 74kg he has a clean and jerk of 132.5kg but jerks a 150kg off the rack.  I just need to get him squatting.  
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 04, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »

Seeing as you made the point in your first post I'll ask you the question..... What are your qualifications and experience? How often do you train and where? What are your goals from your training and how have you developed over the years?

BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
BWLA Senior Coach
Competed at 1998 Commonwealth games.

British champion weightlifter from schoolboy to masters level @ various weights.  

Had a few(6) years out due to personal circumstances.  

I started training again 18 months ago and have won the British/European and World Masters titles in the 69kg class at my age group.  

I coach and mentor some top class under 18 athletes at the moment.   Both in weightlifting and strength training for other sports.  

PB's 122.5kg snatch, 148kg C&J in 69kg class.  
B/Squat 205k @ 70kg, F/Squat 165kg.  

My lifting now is well below the above, but I don't train as hard or as seriously as I once did.  Also as a result of injury to my knees I find it difficult to now do full squats.   So all my work is power based.   Currently power snatching 92kg, PC&J 115kg.  P/Squat 145kg @ 68kg.  

Coaching achievement - I currently coach a 15 year old who I strongly believe if he knuckles down will take a medal at the 2022 commonwealth games.  I think he could qualify for the 2018 games if he keeps progressing at the rate he is now.  at 15 weighing in at 74kg he has a clean and jerk of 132.5kg but jerks a 150kg off the rack.  I just need to get him squatting.  

That is amazing strength, what is your opinion/experience on doping in the current climate, I'm not sure how much you are willing to divulge on a public forum but I have had a few chats with people who move in those circles and I am astounded at their opinions/experience at the top level (I guess you could say all levels there)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 04, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »

Such lol numbers to me they really are. I can't imagine ever lifting those sort of weights even if I'd focussed purely on strength in my younger days. It's amazes me how easy some people make it look.

What weight do you deadlift? It's my absolute worst exercise and I'm looking forward to a session with Harvey and Sean to see if they can give me a few tips. Would you ever sacrifice perfect form in favour of a few extra kgs or does it have to be spot on? I'm happy with low weights but once I even get to 100kg I start to feel a bit paranoid that I'm not quite perfect. I could lift it and also lift a fair bit more but I worry that if my form isn't spot on then something's going to go pop!!

Also with squats if it means not getting quite so low but adding a few kgs would you allow it or do you say that if you can get to a certain depth for 10 reps at 100kg then a 1RM at 140kg doesn't count if you're not hitting the same depth?

Nice list of achievements there by the way. Wish you'd have said that first because without it your initial post looked ever so troll worthy....... Like you rightly said there are a lot of people in the PT and fitness world who talk an incredible amount of crap and to be quite honest your initial post came across like you might well be one of those yourself.

It's much easier to have a conversation with someone once you know a bit about their background as you know what level to talk to them on.

Be good if you hang around here especially if you find time to read the whole thread Wink

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »

Sounds good to me. Is that last part some kind of secret code for getting pissed?

I definitely need some squat help off you two. As I've said before I've never really been in to them but I've found that I really enjoy them now. I just need a form check especially once I get to 100kg+. My RDL felt a bit dodgy today as well so a few pointers on those would be great and maybe a check on my deadlift form before I start on them.

Had a bad morning at the gym today by the way. A pint of beer, half bottle of wine and a double vodka last night wasn't ideal prep for a 6am session. Looks like Saturday 20th will have to be a quiet evening.....

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »

@ Zero - sport is rife with it not just weightlifting, but most competitive sports.  I will expand on this more when I have time.  Probably tomorrow morning.  (Lottery funding had a lot to do with this when I was competing.)

@ Matt - I use/used deadlift as an assistance exercise.   I probably never went above 170k, I suspect I could probably do 200k when at my peak.  I had toyed with the idea of taking up powerlifting for a spell, but there were never really the numbers when I ventured to their comps.  It seems to be more popular now especially with these crossfit boys and girls and their lolcoaches. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 04, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »

Such lol numbers to me they really are. I can't imagine ever lifting those sort of weights even if I'd focussed purely on strength in my younger days. It's amazes me how easy some people make it look.

What weight do you deadlift? It's my absolute worst exercise and I'm looking forward to a session with Harvey and Sean to see if they can give me a few tips. Would you ever sacrifice perfect form in favour of a few extra kgs or does it have to be spot on? I'm happy with low weights but once I even get to 100kg I start to feel a bit paranoid that I'm not quite perfect. I could lift it and also lift a fair bit more but I worry that if my form isn't spot on then something's going to go pop!!

Also with squats if it means not getting quite so low but adding a few kgs would you allow it or do you say that if you can get to a certain depth for 10 reps at 100kg then a 1RM at 140kg doesn't count if you're not hitting the same depth?

Nice list of achievements there by the way. Wish you'd have said that first because without it your initial post looked ever so troll worthy....... Like you rightly said there are a lot of people in the PT and fitness world who talk an incredible amount of crap and to be quite honest your initial post came across like you might well be one of those yourself.

It's much easier to have a conversation with someone once you know a bit about their background as you know what level to talk to them on.

Be good if you hang around here especially if you find time to read the whole thread Wink

I can teach you deadlifting and squatting you can teach me how to reply to people online. Smiley
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »

Sounds good to me. Is that last part some kind of secret code for getting pissed?

I definitely need some squat help off you two. As I've said before I've never really been in to them but I've found that I really enjoy them now. I just need a form check especially once I get to 100kg+. My RDL felt a bit dodgy today as well so a few pointers on those would be great and maybe a check on my deadlift form before I start on them.

Had a bad morning at the gym today by the way. A pint of beer, half bottle of wine and a double vodka last night wasn't ideal prep for a 6am session. Looks like Saturday 20th will have to be a quiet evening.....

Haha, I cannot train on a hangover at all. Kills me. I once did it at uni and carried the bin around with me the entire session.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »

@ Matt - I use/used deadlift as an assistance exercise.   I probably never went above 170k, I suspect I could probably do 200k when at my peak.  I had toyed with the idea of taking up powerlifting for a spell, but there were never really the numbers when I ventured to their comps.  It seems to be more popular now especially with these crossfit boys and girls and their lolcoaches. 

Love it that you could squat more than you could deadlift. Exactly like the really strong guys where I used to train. There were a couple with 600lb squat and 500lb deadlift which is similar proportion to yourself. I guess they saw it as assistance as well. Before you ask..... Hell yes they were on the gear Cheesy

Know what you mean about the lolcoaches. 2015 seems to have been the year that the squat/deadlift were finally discovered. It's almost like nobody did them before these guys decided that they were the 'in' thing. Guys like Sean and Harvey obviously understand because they actually do it themselves but there's so many that have never even had a bar across their shoulders and yet claim to know what they're doing.

I wish you, Sean and Harvey could see the PT that works in my gym. He proudly wears his "senior personal trainer" t-shirt and he's absolutely clueless. Some of the things he has people doing are scary and whenever anybody questions him or says it hurts he just says "Don't you trust me?".

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »

@ Zero - sport is rife with it not just weightlifting, but most competitive sports.  I will expand on this more when I have time.  Probably tomorrow morning.  (Lottery funding had a lot to do with this when I was competing.)

I know of a few OL coaches that have ventured to Xfit. My opinion has changed of Xfit over the last year or so. I am more tolerant to it, and fundamentally seems really good. But as you say, too many under skilled coaches. No way I could coach OL for a long time. The coaches I know who do say it took them 5-10 years just to get the movements mastered. -
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 04, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »

Love it that you could squat more than you could deadlift. Exactly like the really strong guys where I used to train. There were a couple with 600lb squat and 500lb deadlift which is similar proportion to yourself. I guess they saw it as assistance as well. Before you ask..... Hell yes they were on the gear Cheesy

Know what you mean about the lolcoaches. 2015 seems to have been the year that the squat/deadlift were finally discovered. It's almost like nobody did them before these guys decided that they were the 'in' thing. Guys like Sean and Harvey obviously understand because they actually do it themselves but there's so many that have never even had a bar across their shoulders and yet claim to know what they're doing.

I wish you, Sean and Harvey could see the PT that works in my gym. He proudly wears his "senior personal trainer" t-shirt and he's absolutely clueless. Some of the things he has people doing are scary and whenever anybody questions him or says it hurts he just says "Don't you trust me?".

I see the same in most gyms, I think some PT's squat themselves, some very well, they just can't teach or coach it. Or thing it is some sort of superior movement that gen pop don't need.

I do think cross fit has evolved fitness for the better, possibly not right now as it is still transforming. But in 10 years time I'm sure people will train better (those that do) because of it.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 04, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

Quick update on today from me

4x5 B.O.R. at 90kg, felt really good and full range of motion so over the moon with that

5x8 DB press 36 and all the reps completed, so looking to move to 38 next week. If I can end this month on 40s will be really really happy.

Couple of days off before deadlifts on Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: