blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530873 times)
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:23 PM »

Just read Matts post. Well said.

Whenever I feel like I need a confidence boost at my skill set I go to pure and watch the trainers there. True story.

4x5 Squats today, 105kg. Felt pretty good.

Then a 1x10 at 80, felt pretty hard, trololol.

Not enjoying the leg press they have at pure, so may need to change that to something else. Really struggle to get the depth. Lanky boy problems.

Lower back is on fire lately, making an conscious effort to up my hamstring mobility and recruitment to take some weight of the lower back.

Have you tried lots of different feet positions? Where I used to train I'd have my feet placed right at the top of the foot plate so that only my heels were in contact in order to get good feedback from the pressing.

Throwing my two cents in on the machine, the higher i plant my legs, i get more of a hamstrings workout and the lower i get more of a quads.

How far do you bend down to complete one rep, a little past a 45 degrees angle?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

Whenever I feel like I need a confidence boost at my skill set I go to pure and watch the trainers there. True story.

Not enjoying the leg press they have at pure, so may need to change that to something else. Really struggle to get the depth. Lanky boy problems.

Lower back is on fire lately, making an conscious effort to up my hamstring mobility and recruitment to take some weight of the lower back.

Have you tried lots of different feet positions? Where I used to train I'd have my feet placed right at the top of the foot plate so that only my heels were in contact in order to get good feedback from the pressing.

[/quote

This is where I am at, at the minute. Basically just my heel on the top. It is a really weird angle, not sure what they are trying to achieve, or if the person it was built around is just 5'10. I'm not married to the leg press, I can happily go elsewhere, it is just a major source of my volume due to the weight I can move on it.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »

Throwing my two cents in on the machine, the higher i plant my legs, i get more of a hamstrings workout and the lower i get more of a quads.

How far do you bend down to complete one rep, a little past a 45 degrees angle?

I want 90 at the knee, but it is just a weirdly awkward machine, I have been on a fair few in my time, and never been on one this awkward. I don't get some of the matrix stuff in general, it is like they are trying to re invent the wheel on a few of their machines. Their LPD machine is so weird. Their hack squat seems to stop just before 90 for me too, but I am not a big machine fan anyway, so I don't mind not using them. Could be worse things, they could kit it out with no plates or bars I guess.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 03, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »

Might start a diary and track everything once I'm in a good routine, but for now I'll bang it in here.

I went a couple times before xmas, with my brother. Between the pair of us, we've both been ill for most of the last month, but we went up yesterday.

My brother can only train twice a week, so I'm a bit stuck as I need someone to train with me in my present state.

Close to a solution, as I've caught hold of one of the lads I trained with before I went into hospital at end of 2011. He now has his own clients training out of the gym, so I'm going to throw him some dough, and see if I can get myself up there 4x a week.

Not thought about it in any more depth than that, but will prob go back to my old 4 day split, and we can both have a good laugh at how useless my legs/core are nowadays Cheesy

Chest/Bi

Flat BB Bench

40x8
50x8
60x8
70x4

Inc DB Press

12.5 x 8
17.5 x 8
22.5 x 5 +2assisted

Inc DB Flies

2x 7.5 x 8
2x 10  x 8
1x 15 x 6

Con Curls

7.5 x 8
10   x 8
12.5 x 8

Seated DB Curls

7.5 x 8
10x 8
12.5 x 6 & couple 1/2 reps

Better than I expected having not really done a thing for over 3 years, and now that I struggle to lift my ass out of the office chair Cheesy

Weighed myself at 256lbs on Monday morning, which was 10lbs lighter than my heaviest of 266, before Xmas.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 03, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »

Good work Marky. Hope to see you as a regular presence in this thread.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 03, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »

Out on interest do any of the people in this thread have any qualifications or have you at least checked the qualifications of the videos you are watching on youtube and such? 

The fitness industry is convoluted by people who don't have any formal training or indeed any coaching experience who think they are the next Mr Fitness UK. 

I see a lot of reference to high rep exercises as a way to build strength.  When all it does is build endurance. 

Of course it builds strength, how on earth could it not? It's not the optimal method to become as strong as possible if pure strength is your only goal but to say it doesn't build strength is a bit silly.

I'm pretty certain that nobody has recommended high reps as a way of building strength on here anyway. Sean and Harvey, two of the main contributors both use 5 x 5, 3 x 3 and 1RM regularly for their strength work. Hardly high rep.....

Personally I go for 8 to 10 reps but have never once said that this is the best way to become strong.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems in the fitness industry isn't the people who've had no formal training but rather those that have done a couple of weeks on a PT course and suddenly think they know everything. There's a truly awful PT at my gym who at some point is going to injure someone. I'm sure it goes on everywhere as it seems recently that everybody's a personal trainer despite hardly ever setting foot in a gym themselves. These guys could show me a list of qualifications as long as your arm but I've been training long enough to know that they're actually clueless at putting what they've been taught in to practice.

The qualified PTs on this thread actually train themselves so they put what they teach in to practice. They've learnt the technical stuff in the classroom and they put it to use at the gym so they get to understand what it actually means. I'd rather listen to what they say that most others. At the end of the day I'll read their advice and decide whether or not to try it. If it works I'll stick with it and if not I'll thank them for their advice but move along to what works best for me.

It builds resistance to certain weights then you plateau. 

I wasn't having a go at anyone, I was simply asking a question. 

High reps are dependent on the end goal and the definition.  For example a Bodybuilder would say anything up to 18 - 20 reps was low rep work.  We all know the majority of them are show off's just looking to bulk. 

A strength athlete would say anything above 5 reps was high rep.   There is evidence to suggest that training most days at 85% plus of your 1RM doing doubles and trebles in low set numbers is optimum for strength training.   Not all work out's are anabolic though for strength athletes.  There has to be a level of endurance. 

Ultimately it depends on what the individual is hoping to achieve, and if any the guys posting here are trained and have gained good knowledge of both strength and conditioning training then they will be able to develop programmes to assist whatever client base they may have.   

My only criticism would be that there are a few posts - and I haven't read the whole thread - that look like guys just going to the gym hammering it for all they can then by the sounds of things becoming dejected.   

As to the point raised by another poster about Mo Farah being an endurance athlete and doing 1 - 6 rep lifts that makes my point, Farah doesn't want to be bulked but he want's and needs strength for when he needs that kick to go away from the field.   His endurance will be built up doing many circuits of a running track. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »

I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make?

But to clarify my position from a personal point of view first, I train at around 80-90%. Train 4 times a week, and as of today is working pretty well for me in terms or results against enjoyment/burn out.

From a professional point of view I want to highlight to everyone that even someone who eats and breathes health and fitness, works in the industry and is my major hobby will plateau/burn out/make mistakes/life gets in the way/gets ill etc etc.

From a professional standpoint I want to make it very clear to everyone it isn't easy. It is really simple, but it is not easy. It is not quick. It is not always fun.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

Might start a diary and track everything once I'm in a good routine, but for now I'll bang it in here.

I went a couple times before xmas, with my brother. Between the pair of us, we've both been ill for most of the last month, but we went up yesterday.

My brother can only train twice a week, so I'm a bit stuck as I need someone to train with me in my present state.

Close to a solution, as I've caught hold of one of the lads I trained with before I went into hospital at end of 2011. He now has his own clients training out of the gym, so I'm going to throw him some dough, and see if I can get myself up there 4x a week.

Not thought about it in any more depth than that, but will prob go back to my old 4 day split, and we can both have a good laugh at how useless my legs/core are nowadays Cheesy

Chest/Bi

Flat BB Bench

40x8
50x8
60x8
70x4

Inc DB Press

12.5 x 8
17.5 x 8
22.5 x 5 +2assisted

Inc DB Flies

2x 7.5 x 8
2x 10  x 8
1x 15 x 6

Con Curls

7.5 x 8
10   x 8
12.5 x 8

Seated DB Curls

7.5 x 8
10x 8
12.5 x 6 & couple 1/2 reps

Better than I expected having not really done a thing for over 3 years, and now that I struggle to lift my ass out of the office chair Cheesy

Weighed myself at 256lbs on Monday morning, which was 10lbs lighter than my heaviest of 266, before Xmas.

Loving all of that!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »

Out on interest do any of the people in this thread have any qualifications or have you at least checked the qualifications of the videos you are watching on youtube and such? 

The fitness industry is convoluted by people who don't have any formal training or indeed any coaching experience who think they are the next Mr Fitness UK. 

I see a lot of reference to high rep exercises as a way to build strength.  When all it does is build endurance. 

Of course it builds strength, how on earth could it not? It's not the optimal method to become as strong as possible if pure strength is your only goal but to say it doesn't build strength is a bit silly.

I'm pretty certain that nobody has recommended high reps as a way of building strength on here anyway. Sean and Harvey, two of the main contributors both use 5 x 5, 3 x 3 and 1RM regularly for their strength work. Hardly high rep.....

Personally I go for 8 to 10 reps but have never once said that this is the best way to become strong.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems in the fitness industry isn't the people who've had no formal training but rather those that have done a couple of weeks on a PT course and suddenly think they know everything. There's a truly awful PT at my gym who at some point is going to injure someone. I'm sure it goes on everywhere as it seems recently that everybody's a personal trainer despite hardly ever setting foot in a gym themselves. These guys could show me a list of qualifications as long as your arm but I've been training long enough to know that they're actually clueless at putting what they've been taught in to practice.

The qualified PTs on this thread actually train themselves so they put what they teach in to practice. They've learnt the technical stuff in the classroom and they put it to use at the gym so they get to understand what it actually means. I'd rather listen to what they say that most others. At the end of the day I'll read their advice and decide whether or not to try it. If it works I'll stick with it and if not I'll thank them for their advice but move along to what works best for me.

It builds resistance to certain weights then you plateau. 

I wasn't having a go at anyone, I was simply asking a question. 

High reps are dependent on the end goal and the definition.  For example a Bodybuilder would say anything up to 18 - 20 reps was low rep work.  We all know the majority of them are show off's just looking to bulk. 

A strength athlete would say anything above 5 reps was high rep.   There is evidence to suggest that training most days at 85% plus of your 1RM doing doubles and trebles in low set numbers is optimum for strength training.   Not all work out's are anabolic though for strength athletes.  There has to be a level of endurance. 

Ultimately it depends on what the individual is hoping to achieve, and if any the guys posting here are trained and have gained good knowledge of both strength and conditioning training then they will be able to develop programmes to assist whatever client base they may have.   

My only criticism would be that there are a few posts - and I haven't read the whole thread - that look like guys just going to the gym hammering it for all they can then by the sounds of things becoming dejected.   

As to the point raised by another poster about Mo Farah being an endurance athlete and doing 1 - 6 rep lifts that makes my point, Farah doesn't want to be bulked but he want's and needs strength for when he needs that kick to go away from the field.   His endurance will be built up doing many circuits of a running track. 

Hey mate. Try reading the whole thread. It's pretty interesting stuff if you're in to your training at any level. There's a few examples of people hammering it and then getting dejected but then that's what training is for most people. They decide they want to make a lifestyle change and then realise it's actually quite hard work so they quit. The more regular posters seem to be sticking with it and making some really solid gains.

You mention that a bodybuilder would think 18 to 20 reps was 'low rep work'? Really? Have you ever watched a bodybuilder training? Are you talking Mr Olympia type body building or skinny guy type body sculpting because there's a huge difference. There isn't a big body builder in the word who'd ever get near to 18 reps other than while he's warming up.

Seeing as you made the point in your first post I'll ask you the question..... What are your qualifications and experience? How often do you train and where? What are your goals from your training and how have you developed over the years?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 03, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »

Steady increase on the dumbbell press this morning. 4 x 8 @ 34, 38, 40 & 42kg

Also tried to increase my OHP to 50kg and it was really tough. Only manage 6 reps and I was a bit wobbly. Definitely going to work on those for a while as I love the exercise.

Felt a bit under the weather this morning but still made a few gains on last week.

Dumbbells were 34, 38 & 42kg x 8 and then 44kg for 6.

Managed to get up to 55kg on the OHP and actually felt easier than last week. I'm getting a lot more confident with these now so I'd like to see a bit more improvement in the next few weeks.

Another little improvement on the DBs this week.

32, 38 & 42kg x 8 and then 46kg for 6.

I'm getting more confident with these every session and importantly the initial lift of the deck is getting much easier.

Also managed 60kg OHP but only for 4 reps.

Getting there.......

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 03, 2016, 01:42:34 PM »

Hey Marky good to see you back.

Any specific goals at the moment or are you just trying to get in to the habit of attending and then take it from there?

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 03, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »

Not only do I wish I had Matt's squat skillz, but I wish I had his people skills too Sad
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 03, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »

Also tried to increase my OHP to 50kg and it was really tough. Only manage 6 reps and I was a bit wobbly. Definitely going to work on those for a while as I love the exercise.

Felt a bit under the weather this morning but still made a few gains on last week.

Managed to get up to 55kg on the OHP and actually felt easier than last week. I'm getting a lot more confident with these now so I'd like to see a bit more improvement in the next few weeks.

I'm getting more confident with these every session and importantly the initial lift of the deck is getting much easier.

Getting there.......

For balance, I do strongly dislike how quick this progress is.

I am on some more volume stuff for DB press, so 5x8 36kg, would love to be on the 40s at the end of the month.

Thinking maybe the last Sunday of Feb?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »

Getting there.......

For balance, I do strongly dislike how quick this progress is.

I am on some more volume stuff for DB press, so 5x8 36kg, would love to be on the 40s at the end of the month.

Thinking maybe the last Sunday of Feb?

From a professional "it's too fast" point of view or from a friendly "it's not fair you w**ker" point of view?

Last Sunday in Feb I'll be on a beach in sunny Tenerife mate so looks like I'll have to miss out this time Sad

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 03, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »

I'm easy with coming up, I can hold fire until your back. I am in no rush.

I highly doubt its too quick, one since you have been there before and two its been like 6 months.

It is just so frustrating from a personal point of view it is so consistent, haha. OHP numbers are flying up, well to be fair everything is. Solid progress throughout.

Your mindset/concentration levels must be so high.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: