blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272604 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Transfer Deadline Day deals.......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transfer Deadline Day deals.......  (Read 10459 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »

Thoughts from Arsenal fans? I respect Wenger and what he has achieved with the club, but is he is own worst enemy? And ultimately costing the club?

Same old same old, different year/transfer window that's all.

Will we?  Who knows.

Why is it deemed a failure not to splash cash around? Some - much -  of the money that has spent by other teams today is money down the drain.

do you not think Arsenal need a top class striker, and were top class strikers not available in this transfer window?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Thoughts from Arsenal fans? I respect Wenger and what he has achieved with the club, but is he is own worst enemy? And ultimately costing the club?

Will we?  Who knows.

Why is it deemed a failure not to splash cash around? Some - much -  of the money that has spent by other teams today is money down the drain.

do you not think Arsenal need a top class striker, and were top class strikers not available in this transfer window?

Which ones were available who are better than the ones they already have?  Secondly, of those who are better and available how many of them would come to Arsenal?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

Which ones were available who are better than the ones they already have?  Secondly, of those who are better and available how many of them would come to Arsenal?

pertinent questions

Benzema would be the obvious one, he was available for a spell earlier in the summer

needed top dollar of course, hence the sticking point

My eyes are open wide
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

Depends on the ambitions of the club. If they are content with a probable top 4 spot and a decent run in a cup that may yield a trophy, then yeah keeping the cheque book looked away and having faith in the current squad is fine. I'm not sure that is enough for Arsenal fans though. They have a talented bunch of players but are clearly one or 2 short of really competing for the title.

Wenger just seems so stubborn in the transfer market. Arbboy is right in that it would take a certain type of player to push them on, and those type of players either don't come cheap or are hard to acquire, but from the outside looking in it appears that Wenger was happy to conclude his business with just Cech (who was a great buy) and no-one else.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

For all we know they have been looking/trying to get one. Quietly & efficiently, without all the ra ra & hoohah, which so often ends with egg on faces. Very efficiently run club. I like that. 

Successful? I'd say so, too. Almost every club in the Prem over the last 18 or 20 years would swap with them. Cracking new ground, well on the way to being paid for, not indebted to funny money & weird overseas backers who may disappear at any time. Class Manager on a long-term contract. How much Compo have clubs like Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool etc paid in compo to Managers? And Arsenal?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »

Given Manure wanted the same said high quality striker and ended up spending £40m on a unproven teenager from France would suggest there were not that many top end strikers available to purchase this time around.  Looks like keeping your powder dry rather than recklessly gambling huge sums was the correct call again by Arsenal.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

For all we know they have been looking/trying to get one. Quietly & efficiently, without all the ra ra & hoohah, which so often ends with egg on faces. Very efficiently run club. I like that. 

Successful? I'd say so, too. Almost every club in the Prem over the last 18 or 20 years would swap with them. Cracking new ground, well on the way to being paid for, not indebted to funny money & weird overseas backers who may disappear at any time. Class Manager on a long-term contract. How much Compo have clubs like Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool etc paid in compo to Managers? And Arsenal?

accept all this

but Arsenal are, if they are to win the premier league and get to the last few of the champions league, competing in the same market as russian and middle eastern owners with huge resources

now the stadium is paid for and with £200m in the bank it appears that the club is settling for 3rd at best in the L and last 16 at best in the CL, unless the manager or the board step up the recruitment

i don't think most Arsenal fans want to settle for enviable financial prudence if it means they are currently at a ceiling of achievement

My eyes are open wide
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »

Anyone heard about J Pennant's whereabouts?  He turned down a deal with Wigan for this season after spending the back end of last year there on a short term deal til the end of the season.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

Why is it deemed a failure not to splash cash around? Some - much -  of the money that has spent by other teams today is money down the drain.

accept all this

but Arsenal are, if they are to win the premier league and get to the last few of the champions league, competing in the same market as russian and middle eastern owners with huge resources

now the stadium is paid for and with £200m in the bank it appears that the club is settling for 3rd at best in the L and last 16 at best in the CL, unless the manager or the board step up the recruitment

i don't think most Arsenal fans want to settle for enviable financial prudence if it means they are currently at a ceiling of achievement

I'm not sure that the fans view is relevant. Do you really think their understanding of the finances of a big football club exceeds that of the Board & Wenger? Do you allow complete strangers to tell you how to spend your money?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:35:57 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 05:38:56 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

accept all this

I'm not sure that the fans view is relevant. Do you really think their understanding of the finances of a big football club exceeds that of the Board & Wenger?

no, i don't but i also know that many arsenal fans waited a decade for a top class keeper, are still waiting for a world class defensive midfielder, have giroud up front and then what... and meanwhile have 37 5 foot 7 attacking midfielders sourced from france and spain who can tip tap it around superbly but can't get the team higher than 3rd in the elague

i also feel that some clubs (mine definitely has at times) knows it can rely on the fans to turn up whatever and therefore this "support inelasticity" means they are in effect immune from outside pressure

the premier league currently earns more from its foreign tv deals alone than any other league does in total, worldwide, from all tv revenue

this is before the new tv deal that is going to drive transfer prices up further from end of this season onwards

how does wenger's intransigence stack up with wanting to improve on 3rd and last 16 in PL and CL in an even madder recruitment environment?

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

accept all this

I'm not sure that the fans view is relevant. Do you really think their understanding of the finances of a big football club exceeds that of the Board & Wenger?

no, i don't but i also know that many arsenal fans waited a decade for a top class keeper, are still waiting for a world class defensive midfielder, have giroud up front and then what... and meanwhile have 37 5 foot 7 attacking midfielders sourced from france and spain who can tip tap it around superbly but can't get the team higher than 3rd in the elague

i also feel that some clubs (mine definitely has at times) knows it can rely on the fans to turn up whatever and therefore this "support inelasticity" means they are in effect immune from outside pressure

the premier league currently earns more from its foreign tv deals alone than any other league does in total, worldwide, from all tv revenue

this is before the new tv deal that is going to drive transfer prices up further from end of this season onwards

how does wenger's intransigence stack up with wanting to improve on 3rd and last 16 in PL and CL in an even madder recruitment environment?

The last 19 (?) years provides the answer. And no, they have not failed.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »

Which ones were available who are better than the ones they already have?  Secondly, of those who are better and available how many of them would come to Arsenal?

Seems everyone is available at the right price, I don't see how that matters these days.   I would think Arsenal are a fairly attractive proposition if the right terms were agreed.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

Which ones were available who are better than the ones they already have?  Secondly, of those who are better and available how many of them would come to Arsenal?

Seems everyone is available at the right price, I don't see how that matters these days.   I would think Arsenal are a fairly attractive proposition if the right terms were agreed.

I don't think Bale, Messi, Ronaldo, Silva, Augero etc would even consider moving to Arsenal whatever the price tbh.  Arsenal are stuck in a tough place right now in terms of attracting players who are any better than the ones they already have because they don't provide the real world class players a platform to walk into of winning trophies.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

accept all this

its all about expectation

Arsenal reached the CL final in 2005, and last won the league in 2003-04

since then we have abramovic, man c billions etc that have changed the competitive environment for good. chelsea and man c aren't going bust.

if an arsenal fan is happy with top 4 and last 16 and winning a domestic cup as the summit of their seasonal achievement, then fine

i suggest that most want more 

if of course the tv landscape worsens, then arsenal will have it off.

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »

Will we?  Who knows.

accept all this

its all about expectation

Arsenal reached the CL final in 2005, and last won the league in 2003-04

since then we have abramovic, man c billions etc that have changed the competitive environment for good. chelsea and man c aren't going bust.

if an arsenal fan is happy with top 4 and last 16 and winning a domestic cup as the summit of their seasonal achievement, then fine

i suggest that most want more 

if of course the tv landscape worsens, then arsenal will have it off.

Why should they worry what the fans want?

If Lil Dave, who is, shall we say, a little loose with his money, told you to spend your own money, would you do as he said?

As long as the Board are happy, the view of the fans is not really relevant. Unless, of course, they are shareholders.

When they pay to see a match, that's all they get for their money - 90 minutes of football. It does not give them voting rights.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: