blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noisy Neighbours - the Man City thread  (Read 399957 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: May 29, 2021, 10:09:31 PM »

Pep trying hard to be the man.

Pulled the equivalent of tuchel leaving out kante to prove what a galaxy brain looks like

Perfectly put

sola virtus nobilitat
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 29, 2021, 10:17:55 PM »

Bloody hell, was my last post on here really February 2020?!
Not much has happened since then anyway, football or otherwise.

On the 14.55 Luton to Porto tomorrow.

Come on City.

Enjoy sir.
The logistics and bloody hoops to jump through for what should be a straightforward trip have been stressful to say the least.  All worth it in the end. Hopefully Smiley

Enjoy guys.  Really think Chelsea are going to get pummeled in the final.

1-0 chelski or get pounded.   I proved again why i am skint guessing!
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 31, 2021, 01:07:28 PM »

Pep trying hard to be the man.

Pulled the equivalent of tuchel leaving out kante to prove what a galaxy brain looks like

Well, that's the  popular narrative. The more in depth tactical analysis pieces I've read suggest it probably wouldn't have made a difference if Dinho/Rhodri start (as expected) for Sterling.
Personally, I think Pep was more culpable last year against Lyons. This game less so.

The Chelsea back 7 is so good (8 if we count Kante as 2. God, he is so good...)  Not just defensively but for playing out from the back either short or long - always the spare man and always very difficult to press high against  and leaves the inevitable space at the back with City's high line.

Pep can go for a defensive option against that very easily ( 3 at the back for example but we rarely play it) but opts for the most offensive option to try and get the ever so important 1st goal.
Chelsea are a nightmare to play against for any side with a 1 goal lead - like prime Atletico Madrid - and have only conceded 3 I think since Tuchel's arrival when they've scored first and 2 of those were when they were 2+ goals ahead.
Likewise, if City do get the 1st goal, the shape changes immediately and Chelsea are an easier opponent to defend against than PSG or Dortmund which we did very well.

But Chelsea were better at 0-0 and could have scored earlier but even then City had 2/3 moments which could have given us the 1st goal and a different game. Fine lines. Likewise the KDB injury didn't help for the last 30 minutes or so. He was pretty much tied up for the first 60 but the end state of that game was perfect for his quality.

Bottom line. Chelsea deserved winners.

Over the disappointment now but still a great day but  I could have done without the long wait for the  coach/flight after the match. Close to 28 hours without sleep doesn't compare to 1st night Vegas but I'm too old now Smiley

teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 31, 2021, 09:07:02 PM »

Just seems every exit peps had post Barca has been preceded by a somewhat radical change in personal and tactics

"I'll drop the DMs that have played in all but one game, play my best midfielder as a false nine, my top goal scorer as my deepest midfielder, move my best young player to accomadate a player who hasn't played first choice all season, invert my left back, yada yada yada, all in the final and most important game of the season"

I've seen some of the city Twitter tactics bros screencap + MSpaint analysis that say it wouldn't have made a difference. We will never know. We do know what he tried failed.

In  the domestic league where he pits his wits against thinkers like Steve Bruce and the budgets of Brighton and palace, and the carabou cup where he is the only manager above Wayne Rooney in the pyramid to field a full strength side he has been dominant. And the same is true of every club he's managed. He has success in line with the financial dominace of the team's he manages. City, Bayern and Barca all had success pre pep. The later two success - and CL trophies - post his leaving. City will do just fine after he has gone too.

But when he comes up against his peers in terms of coaches and budgets in the knock out stages of european competition - the footballing equivalent of slow time control chess - his attempts at deviations from the formations that blow Everton and villa away fall flat.

Great manager, but he's not unique in the success he has had, nor do I think he is an outlier amongst his present day peers, much less in a historical context.

In Europe, quite the opposite.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 01, 2021, 11:45:43 PM »

Just seems every exit peps had post Barca has been preceded by a somewhat radical change in personal and tactics

"I'll drop the DMs that have played in all but one game, play my best midfielder as a false nine, my top goal scorer as my deepest midfielder, move my best young player to accomadate a player who hasn't played first choice all season, invert my left back, yada yada yada, all in the final and most important game of the season"

I've seen some of the city Twitter tactics bros screencap + MSpaint analysis that say it wouldn't have made a difference. We will never know. We do know what he tried failed.

In  the domestic league where he pits his wits against thinkers like Steve Bruce and the budgets of Brighton and palace, and the carabou cup where he is the only manager above Wayne Rooney in the pyramid to field a full strength side he has been dominant. And the same is true of every club he's managed. He has success in line with the financial dominace of the team's he manages. City, Bayern and Barca all had success pre pep. The later two success - and CL trophies - post his leaving. City will do just fine after he has gone too.

But when he comes up against his peers in terms of coaches and budgets in the knock out stages of european competition - the footballing equivalent of slow time control chess - his attempts at deviations from the formations that blow Everton and villa away fall flat.

Great manager, but he's not unique in the success he has had, nor do I think he is an outlier amongst his present day peers, much less in a historical context.

In Europe, quite the opposite.

Lol - he is a bloody genius man Smiley

True, the financially dominant teams will (almost) always prevail - PSG, Bayern, Juventus - but at least the PL had  a big 6 + Leicester. Now more like a Big 4 and the PL winner will likely  be from City, Chelsea, United or Liverpool. The first 3 have broadly spent the same in terms of transfers and wages over the last 5 or 6 seasons (look at the accounts or Swiss Ramble analysis and not net spend crap on transfermrkt) and Liverpool less but still the 5th or 6th highest revenue in  European football. England is not France, Germany or Italy and I give far more credit to Pep than you.

Even in the League Cup there has been at least 1 victory in every run against another financially dominant side - United away in the last 2 semi-finals and Chelsea in the final before - and always they have played full strength sides.

"Slow time control chess" - I like that with reference to the 2 legged knock-out ties. Since the debacle against Liverpool 3 years ago, City's record in the 2 legged knock-out ties and 12 matches is as follows:

WW LW WW WW WW WW   - Schalke, Spurs, Real Madrid, Gladbach, Dortmund and PSG. Plenty of tactical deviations in that lot as well. Not bad eh? And the only real screw up was the 0-1 away at Spurs when Pep was super defensive but overall in the tie very unlucky not to get through. Maybe it's the one-off bullet chess games he has a problem with based on a sample size of 2.

Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 26, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »

Looking good for a 3 way title race which should be fun.

City now playing v well. Bernardo and Foden comfortably the standout players so far. 
Foden is special. The only unkown now is his ceiling.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 27, 2021, 08:53:05 AM »

City now playing v well. Bernardo and Foden comfortably the standout players so far. 

Would probably help if Pep didnt keep trying to convert him into a centre forward. The lad is brilliant at a lot of things but a natural CF he is not.
Pokitren
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 29, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »

Would probably help if Pep didnt keep trying to convert him into a centre forward. The lad is brilliant at a lot of things but a natural CF he is not.
Maybe he is eager for that position himself, and nobody wants to turn him into a center forward.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 09, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »

All a bit weird.

Control and domination in away games at  United, Chelsea, Liverpool (mainly) and PSG.

Poor at home against Burnley, Southampton (deserved to win) and Palace.

Not warmed to Grealish and happy he was on the bench at OT. I'm sure he'll come good which is always the way with most new players under guardiola.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2454 on: May 22, 2022, 07:32:56 PM »

Congratulations

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »

amazing end to the season, when coutinho made it 0 2 i really thought we were going to win the league. its the hope that kills you.

congratulations to city, enjoy watching the reds lift number 7 next week.

united and everton both in freefall, life could be worse
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:22:00 PM by bagel » Logged
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:10 PM »

I was cheering you on happier to see you get there than the alternative

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 15, 2023, 10:18:09 PM »

amazing end to the season, when coutinho made it 0 2 i really thought we were going to win the league. its the hope that kills you.

congratulations to city, enjoy watching the reds lift number 7 next week.

united and everton both in freefall, life could be worse

Where have all the Liverpool fans gone?

Want a winter holiday on the South Coast? You can’t beat Brighton in January 😂

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: