blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Tinker on.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 143 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tinker on.  (Read 338848 times)
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 20, 2016, 11:53:56 PM »

Statistically Spurs are leading just about every category bar points. It's a funny old game!

Really?

Most points from home games

Most points from away games

Least number of defeats

Oh, and top of the league.

Arsenal aside (ironic really) from all the other top half of the league teams Leicester have collected 4 points off Tottenham. Man City, West Ham, Liverpool, Southampton and Stoke and have still to play United and Chelsea again.

Liverpool won 1-0 on boxing day
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:46 AM »

Statistically Spurs are leading just about every category bar points. It's a funny old game!

Really?

Least number of defeats

Arsenal aside (ironic really) from all the other top half of the league teams Leicester have collected 4 points off Tottenham. Man City, West Ham, Liverpool, Southampton and Stoke and have still to play United and Chelsea again.

You appear to have missed the bit where I mentioned 'bar points'. Home and away points are still points.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:33:20 AM by rinswun » Logged

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
T8MML

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 21, 2016, 02:09:20 AM »

Really?

Least number of defeats

Liverpool won 1-0 on boxing day

My bad - apologies.  Forgot Benteke had justified his £38million  Wink

if the snow is yellow - don't eat it!
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »

If Leicester win the league I truly believe they have been the best team this season

And when they get pipped by Spurs in the last game you will truly believe Spurs have been the best team?

Yes if Spurs pip them I truly believe they have been the best team over the 38 game period

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »

Really?

Least number of defeats

You appear to have missed the bit where I mentioned 'bar points'. Home and away points are still points.

How is this every statistic?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 21, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »

38 games not a big enough sample to determine the "best" team

I have enjoyed spurs the most this season but you have to admire the arts leicester have bought to the table
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 21, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »

I don't get how 38 games is not a big enough sample.

The league is 38 games, therefore surely the best team will be the one with the best points total?

The sample can't be any bigger can it?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:38:11 AM by celtic » Logged

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 21, 2016, 09:10:49 AM »

Really?

Least number of defeats

How is this every statistic?

It's not but I'd argue they are the simple pertinent statistics. I'm sure they're probably leading plenty of advanced stats too.

This from the excellent Colin Trainor on statsbomb.com:

Weekly wonderings about Leicester

Leicester have happily thrown the traditional “How to Succeed” playbook out of the window and lead the league despite moderate shot totals (-21 shots, +31 shots on target), a league worst passing percentage (68.4%), bottom three possession numbers (43.1%) and we saw a reconfirmation this week of the fact that their likely 5000/1 league success would be the largest individual odds defied in the history of sport. That’s pretty cool and means the chances of aliens arriving to join in the celebrations now seems a whole lot more likely while Elvis might show up and ask if they named the King Power Stadium after him.

Parts of the wider media are also starting to notice the statistical oddities that encompass Leicester too, from bookmakers to newspapers, we’ve seen a good deal of comment on these issues. Indeed it’s pleasing that there are larger organisations reaching out and looking for these stories, they’re valuable and informative. Back out here where the most of the good content lives, in a wide ranging analysis, Constantin Eckner pulled it all together with a pretty definitive tactical shift over at Spielverlagerung and Michael Bertin investigated their insanely low opposition conversion rates. He calculated a value for the chance that Leicester would concede so few goals since the halfway point; it’s around a 1 in 300 chance. This reflects some wider truth, for when we find unlikely success, it’s not entirely surprising that we also find other large odds occurrences taking place.  What odds the season long total lack of injuries? What odds finding Vardy and Mahrez and them elevating to this level peaking alongside each other? What odds the huge plus column full of penalties? What odds it all comes together at once? We know that: it’s 5000/1.

So next season if your club decides to give up the ball and play directly, on balance, it’s more likely that they will end up like the many clubs that have tried and failed with the style before, scrapping for their Premier League lives.

Some have made a comparison with Atletico Madrid and the formulation and execution of different to usual systems. We have far more evidence that Diego Simeone has built something sustainable, his teams have put up solid shooting numbers during the nearly four full seasons he has been in charge of after taking control midway through the 2011-12 campaign. Their defensive solidity is borne of shot suppression and has shown to continue despite personnel changes and is altogether different from the good but not great Leicester numbers. Indeed while reliant on the attacking talents and goals of Antoine Griezmann or Diego Costa and Radamel Falcao before him, that Atletico have been able to compete over multiple seasons in multiple competitions reflects that they are not purely reliant on talent alone; the system is strong, as their heroic resistance of Barcelona testified. One suspects that the removal of any of Leicester’s talismanic trio of Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez or N’Golo Kante would hugely impact the effectiveness of their attack; something that has already faded to a degree.

Of course, the West Ham game finally found a heady mix of misfortune for Leicester. Vardy deserved his second booking, but would most referees call that? Maybe not. Most referees probably wouldn’t give a penalty for pushing in the box, but they possibly would if they’d just doled out a warning. These things can go both ways, as the last ditch penalty showed, and finally a few went against Leicester but they finally conceded the goals to go alongside the volume of opposition’s shots and Tottenham, for a day at least, spy a gap in Leicester’s armour.  This result and even the format of its arrival were overdue but the warning remains, celebrate Leicester,  but unless they blow their summer budget on Cristiano Ronaldo or Zlatan Ibrahimovic, somewhere along the line, the talent gap will be exposed and they will refind their level.

This isn’t a football revolution.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: April 21, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 21, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »

It's a good spot for Taleb's 'Fooled by Randomness'. Which I think everybody should read. That Leicester suddenly became the best team really isn't likely. Just plain old variance.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »

It's a good spot for Taleb's 'Fooled by Randomness'. Which I think everybody should read. That Leicester suddenly became the best team really isn't likely. Just plain old variance.

Agreed

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 21, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »

I have no doubt Leicester will likely finish below top 4 next season but that article just comes over to me as sour grapes from someone who is offended by their style.  Who's to say Spurs won't revert to their level next season and start finishing 5th/6th again every year?
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 21, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »

Just stating the facts isn't it?

All of the above combining together like that is very unlikely Leicester have taken advantage of it well but it won't happen again
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 21, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »

All of the above combining together like that is very unlikely Leicester have taken advantage of it well but it won't happen again

Yeah.  But it's the sneering way it is done "before your teams go direct next season" blah, blah, blah.  It's like the media when Watford came 2nd in 1982.   Why does he think Spurs won't revert to their normal standard next season?  Think it's because he finds the spurs style "acceptable".
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »

Yeah.  But it's the sneering way it is done "before your teams go direct next season" blah, blah, blah.  It's like the media when Watford came 2nd in 1982.   Why does he think Spurs won't revert to their normal standard next season?  Think it's because he finds the spurs style "acceptable".

Maybe he does I don't know. The spurs style is more sustainable than Leicesters would be my guess
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 143 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: