blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rate my shares
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate my shares  (Read 56607 times)
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »

Nutmeg isn't cheap. It's essentially a basket of tracker funds that charges 0.75% with a range of risk rated portfolio's.

Ah didn't know it was a fund of funds, I've only glossed over it. Not as good as I thought (still not completely awful though)

acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »

Nutmeg isn't cheap. It's essentially a basket of tracker funds that charges 0.75% with a range of risk rated portfolio's.

Ah didn't know it was a fund of funds, I've only glossed over it. Not as good as I thought (still not completely awful though)

The principle is fine for a new/inexperienced investor but a bit of background research and reading can help you create a similar portfolio on another platform for much less. They are essentially buying/selling trackers and realigning your portfolio so that it meets your investment objectives which are determined by risk analysis.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

BT shareholders will remember profit warning for years

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2017/jan/24/bt-profit-warning-shareholders-italian-unit-gavin-patterson-chief-executive?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »

The Dow Hit 20,000. Now What?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/business/dealbook/dow-20000-stock-market-milestone.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »

Tesco looks to be turning round at last, resuming dividends

bought booker today too

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/tesco-agrees-37bn-deal-for-food-wholesaler-booker-11364142138034

My eyes are open wide
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »

Just in case anybody followed my rec on Galliford Try:

They've proposed a merger with the previously troubled Bovis Homes, and whilst talks continue they continue to scoop up Bovis shares at prices below the proposed merger valuation.

Galliford have just announced YE results, revealing that they have some way to go in improving their own margins in the construction division. They continue to perform well in their Linden Homes division, their land bank looks strong, and the order book is stronger (again) than in previous years. The share price has now reached a 12 month high, and if you'd acted when I mentioned them you'd be looking at a tidy return over a relatively short term.

However, for the record, I'm not convinced by the commercial sense of this merger. My fear is a dilution of the GFRD management values, too much more emphasis on the low-margin construction division, and potential for skeletons in the Bovis cupboards. So, for these reasons, I have sold 66% of my holding to bank a serious gain, with a watching brief until this merger has been resolved.

That's enough from me. Nirvana, what ya up to? Any thoughts on your own positions?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

Just in case anybody followed my rec on Galliford Try:

They've proposed a merger with the previously troubled Bovis Homes, and whilst talks continue they continue to scoop up Bovis shares at prices below the proposed merger valuation.

Galliford have just announced YE results, revealing that they have some way to go in improving their own margins in the construction division. They continue to perform well in their Linden Homes division, their land bank looks strong, and the order book is stronger (again) than in previous years. The share price has now reached a 12 month high, and if you'd acted when I mentioned them you'd be looking at a tidy return over a relatively short term.

However, for the record, I'm not convinced by the commercial sense of this merger. My fear is a dilution of the GFRD management values, too much more emphasis on the low-margin construction division, and potential for skeletons in the Bovis cupboards. So, for these reasons, I have sold 66% of my holding to bank a serious gain, with a watching brief until this merger has been resolved.

That's enough from me. Nirvana, what ya up to? Any thoughts on your own positions?

Hi mate. Keep meaning to post an update. Still have all the original holdings. A pretty lucky gain of 30k ish on 48k invested as of last week I think. Boohoo the obvious star and keep wondering if I should bank some profit as I'd hate to wake up.one morning with the news the share price had halved..like I did a few months ago with Laird

Deffo massively the right side.of variance..Laird was the company I was most sure about and felt I knew the market. Boohoo was a punt that's paid handsomely so far. Other than that I'm too busy earning a salary to make money

sola virtus nobilitat
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »

Hi mate

LOL re "too busy earning a salary to make money"

The FTSE is at an alltime high (if I'm not mistaken), so there's always a possibility of a "correction" on any kind of bad news. If it were me, I think I'd sell half my Boohoo to a) recover my original investment (ie free roll it), then b) rebalance my mini portfolio or c) diversify into a new sector with the released funds

If too busy, just do a) then follow up with b/c whenever time permits. You don't want another Laird day!

Atb
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »

Hi mate

LOL re "too busy earning a salary to make money"

The FTSE is at an alltime high (if I'm not mistaken), so there's always a possibility of a "correction" on any kind of bad news. If it were me, I think I'd sell half my Boohoo to a) recover my original investment (ie free roll it), then b) rebalance my mini portfolio or c) diversify into a new sector with the released funds

If too busy, just do a) then follow up with b/c whenever time permits. You don't want another Laird day!

Atb

That looks like a plan - I'm not remotely keen on any of the original picks bar boohoo and only stubbornness/laziness prevents me getting this done. I'm minded to get off my ass and turn 50k back into cash while retaining a 28k or so holding in boohoo. Some brokers are still talking about this having a great deal of potential - I've seen £6.00 on some longer term advices so i'm happy to continue to hold this and be very unbalanced for a while. obviously not intended as advice to invest in boohoo for anyone here but the idea of freerolling it, as you mention, has a lot of appeal.

sola virtus nobilitat
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2017, 06:46:57 AM »

Been ages since I last posted, unfortunately had a spell in hospital where I was quite ill. With the great care of the medics, I responded to the treatment and spent a lot of my rehab time reviewing and adjusting my portfolio. I have been self investing my two SIPPs now since January of last year and here is a snapshot of the good the bad and the ugly!

Shares

Winners

Apple Inc. +71%
Blue Prism +204%
Metro Bank +86%
Purplebricks +65%
Sports Direct +8%
Randgold Resources +3

Losers

NCC Group - 35%
Dixons Group -21%
Paddy Power Betfair -7%

Funds

Winners

Fundsmith Equity +15%
Henderson Global Technology +48%
Jupiter India +15%
Legg Mason Japan Equity +27%
Newton Global Income +24%
Premier Multi Asset +3%
Stewart Investors Asia Pacific Leaders +15%
Trojan inc. +2

Losers

Fidelity American Special Sits -4%

Investment Trusts

Winners

Fidelity China Special Situations +31%
Scottish Mortgage  Inv Trust +17 & +33%
TR European Growth +7%
Allianz Tech Trust +33%
Baille Gifford Shin Nippon +42%
Tritax Big Box REIT +8%

Losers

IGC India -1%

ETFs / tracker funds

Winners

Global Robotics Index +10%

Losers

Ishares Gold -2%

Overall I am very happy with the performance. I could have had a more concentrated portfolio and achieved higher returns, but the flip side being that any collapse in the market would have been very painful. It has been muted for months now the rally is overdone so I am well positioned to counter any downturn with a large holding in gold, two large holdings in muti asset funds which essentially are volatility busters. They will go down in a falling market but not as much as everything else. I also have around 10% in cash which is being held back for some bargain hunting if the markets do tank big time. It's going to happen, the hard thing is predicting when!

DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »

When looking for shares to invest in, I typically look for established blue-chip companies that have had a rough time recently and consequently their shares are good value. If I think they are long-term viable companies then I will look to buy near the 'bottom'. This worked out well for me during the banking crisis when it was clear that the government would:
A) not let any of the banks go bust; and
B) hold on to its holdings until all/most of the value had recovered before selling.

A company I have been following for a few years is Tesco. If a supermarket selling horsemeat to its customers instead of beef doesn't kill it (I thought it might!) then surely only catastrophic financial mis-management could sink it. Historically, its shares are priced very low at the  moment:

And recent market-related news has been positive and negative +1 recent news stories.

Brexit will have been factored into the share price since Tesco is committed to EU activities (I think the EU will be weaker after we leave), although expanding on its international business may be slightly concerning after its disastrous US venture.

I initially thought of buying now with a view to selling after doubling my money (in a few years' time?). And having just read this story that reaching a price of 300p is thought to be achievable I will definitely be taking a plunge...and will go in again if they go below their lowest-ever price of 143p.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »

When looking for shares to invest in, I typically look for established blue-chip companies that have had a rough time recently and consequently their shares are good value. If I think they are long-term viable companies then I will look to buy near the 'bottom'. This worked out well for me during the banking crisis when it was clear that the government would:
A) not let any of the banks go bust; and
B) hold on to its holdings until all/most of the value had recovered before selling.

A company I have been following for a few years is Tesco. If a supermarket selling horsemeat to its customers instead of beef doesn't kill it (I thought it might!) then surely only catastrophic financial mis-management could sink it. Historically, its shares are priced very low at the  moment:

And recent market-related news has been positive and negative +1 recent news stories.

Brexit will have been factored into the share price since Tesco is committed to EU activities (I think the EU will be weaker after we leave), although expanding on its international business may be slightly concerning after its disastrous US venture.

I initially thought of buying now with a view to selling after doubling my money (in a few years' time?). And having just read this story that reaching a price of 300p is thought to be achievable I will definitely be taking a plunge...and will go in again if they go below their lowest-ever price of 143p.

There are investment funds that do exactly what you have described here. The managers buy shares that are unfashionable and subjected to heavy selling pressure following either an earnings downgrade or some sort of accounting scandal. So if a professional is following this strategy and you are good at spotting value then you should do well.

The only thing with Tescos apart from the brexit effect, is a company that is a threat to every online grocery retailer in the UK i.e. Amazon. On Friday they bid for a US grocery chain called Wholefoods. Surprisingly the ripple effect was felt over here with UK food retailers shares prices coming under pressure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4612972/Amazon-Foods-merge-wipes-value-retailers-stocks.html

I have now trimmed down my tech holdings and have more than 20% in cash. I don't like being in this situation but feel reluctant to put more money into the stock market, perhaps I need to look a commercial property.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »

What is the best way to short a stock?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

contracts for difference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_for_difference

you would need to provide margin up front to cover losses if the shares go against you

not up to date with who offers them in the UK but they used to be what i used professionally

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »

here is one,just found at random

https://www.cmcmarkets.com/en-gb/learn-cfd-trading/what-are-cfds

My eyes are open wide