blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Non-nut draw on a dynamic board
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-nut draw on a dynamic board  (Read 3404 times)
LovesADraw

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »

Sitting with £370  in a live £1/£2 game with  :  :  UTG+1

The £5 straddle is live and I make it £10. I had been card dead for a while and had a pretty tight image at the table to get in with a nice implied odds type of hand. I get three callers including UTG.
(Should I have made this bet bigger? In hindsight I feel that I made it too accessible to other players with a lower strength hand)

:  :  :  (Pot £41)

UTG leads  for £15, I feel that my gut shot is worth  a look at the turn here with the intention to fold to any further aggression from late position.
All others fold, heads up to the turn.

:  (Pot £71)

UTG leads again, this time for £30.  Of course if I hadn't picked up more equity on the turn I fold here but I did, so I make the call.
(Thoughts on this call? I think that any rivers that make my straight are pretty innocuous to a big(ish) King so my implied odds are quite strong.

:  (Pot £131)

Woooo I hit my straight, boooo the front door flush came in.... UTG leads again  for £65. I now feel that he's polarised to a flush or a King. In my head I've decided that it's more often a king and make the call.

Comments welcome on any any all decisions above...

Results to follow after your comments.

Thanks!
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »

Probably would just fold pre. If I was going to open utg +1 with a stadle I would make it £22 and fold to the lead with 2 players behind to act.

Not sure many villians lead kx here, more likely a flush draw.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:49:25 PM »

I mean this is definitely a fold pre and it's nowhere near close. The fact that you've played tight/been card dead or whatever literally means nothing to the other guys at the table, and when you min open it means even less. I mean if you're going to open it's got to be bigger, depends on the game but 20 seems reasonable. Patience is such a huge part of poker, and just having been card dead for a while doesn't justify making big mistakes pre. I mean, it feels like it's only a tenner and you might hit a flop so whatever, but these seemingly small mistakes spiral and if they're a part of your game that you don't address, then you're throwing money away.

Flop... I mean, I don't actually completely hate raising with a backdoor flush draw and a gutshot vs a really weak lead here. I don't think folding flop will be bad, because we've got such a bad hand that's only really got 3 outs that we're happy with. If I decided to call flop I'd do so with the intention of raising a bunch of turns like the one we get vs a smaller bet like this one, because I think it's fair to assume that a really good hand on a board this wet would want to bet more, so I think he's going to have mostly 9x/weak Kx/draws a fair bit. We don't actually have much equity, even if we assume our 8 outs are all live we've still got less than 20% equity, and we need more like 23%. As such, we're not getting the right immediate odds to draw, we've got some reverse implied odds for when we get there and he makes a flush, and our actual implied odds aren't wonderful because we're not just going to be able to bomb a heart or a spade that makes our straight and get called all that often. I also don't think we can just call turn intended to bluff some rivers if checked to, because for the most part trying to bluff live is just a bad idea. Screw balance and who likes folding and all that.

Think what I've said about postflop is probably a bit wank, but tbh this is a situation you just shouldn't get yourself in to by opening really bad hands from ep.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

Sorry if any of that sounds harsh btw, isn't meant to be Smiley

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:54:43 PM »

I mean this is definitely a fold pre and it's nowhere near close. The fact that you've played tight/been card dead or whatever literally means nothing to the other guys at the table, and when you min open it means even less. I mean if you're going to open it's got to be bigger, depends on the game but 20 seems reasonable. Patience is such a huge part of poker, and just having been card dead for a while doesn't justify making big mistakes pre. I mean, it feels like it's only a tenner and you might hit a flop so whatever, but these seemingly small mistakes spiral and if they're a part of your game that you don't address, then you're throwing money away.

Flop... I mean, I don't actually completely hate raising with a backdoor flush draw and a gutshot vs a really weak lead here. I don't think folding flop will be bad, because we've got such a bad hand that's only really got 3 outs that we're happy with and there's two other people in the hand. If I decided to call flop I'd do so with the intention of raising a bunch of turns like the one we get vs a smaller bet like this one, because I think it's fair to assume that a really good hand on a board this wet would want to bet more, so I think he's going to have mostly 9x/weak Kx/draws a fair bit. We don't actually have much equity, even if we assume our 8 outs are all live we've still got less than 20% equity, and we need more like 23%. As such, we're not getting the right immediate odds to draw, we've got some reverse implied odds for when we get there and he makes a flush, and our actual implied odds aren't wonderful because we're not just going to be able to bomb a heart or a spade that makes our straight and get called all that often. I also don't think we can just call turn intended to bluff some rivers if checked to, because for the most part trying to bluff live is just a bad idea. Screw balance and who likes folding and all that.

Think what I've said about postflop is probably a bit wank, but tbh this is a situation you just shouldn't get yourself in to by opening really bad hands from ep.

LovesADraw

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »

ok... made a minor mistake here. The hand is  ...
I wouldn't be opening 67o here lol
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »

FWIW I wouldn't be opening 67 suited UTG+1 either. Rexas covers the rest pretty well
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:53:44 PM »

FWIW I wouldn't be opening 67 suited UTG+1 either.

Yh I agree, it won't be horrendous but it won't be great.

KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:48:21 AM »

I like the open pre, you want low cardsas well as high cards. Easy fold on the flop, raise or fold the turn, call river
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 01:04:26 AM »

I'm definitely opening pre... if i'm not i'm pretty devastated about how tough the live 1/2 game i'm sat in is.
Flop I don't mind all 3 options tbf, depends on villain, but if there were a diamond i'd definitely be either calling or raising.
Turn again depends a lot on what kind of range i think the opponent takes this lead lead line with. If I think it's only strength/combo draws i'm folding, if not raising seems reasonable, calling is meh, but can't be horrific.
River i'm calling, might raise vs some people... very very few people i'd fold against.
LovesADraw

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:22 PM »

Thanks for your opinions people, I think I my main issue was the size of the pre flop raise, think it needed to be 15-20 in honesty. I like to keep these hands in the early range as I'm pretty tight pre, if I haven't have some suited connectors and low pairs i'd just be a nit haha
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: