blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  England Cricket chat
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 72 Go Down Print
Author Topic: England Cricket chat  (Read 170181 times)
Noose

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 27, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

no its not meant to be damning

they just play more test cricket, are physically fitter/conditioned with great equipment playing on covered pitches that drain well. its a different game

he's 32 and has played 140 tests

lots of countries want to play england because of the revenue they bring, so England never rest

he could take off the odd winter tour, play for another 5 years and still hit 200 tests

top 10? off the top of my head

Bradman
Lara
Richards
Sachin
Compton
Hutton
G Chappell
Border
Hammond
Ponting

and i will have missed some

Cook isn't in the same postcode as any of those

He's in the same bracket as Gooch, boycott, Gower etc

Fair enough.  Pretty similar points of view to me then.  How high can Root get potentially on the all time list?  Not just runs (obviously he could get to number 1 on that list easily) but where does his style/flair on top of the runs put him potentially in that all time list if he carries on to 32/33 like Cook has.  He seems to have a great mental approach to the game/life so there is no reason to think he will go off the boil other than captaincy ruining him.

Surely Root is streets ahead in terms of talent.... just needs to prove himself over a decade or so which is never a given.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »

i was very sceptical at first, and am happy to admit i was wrong!
But my what a seriously fine cricketer chris woakes has turned into!!

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »

India v Aus test series atm - Is that just highlighting ho ordinary Englands spin bowling is?
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »

India v Aus test series atm - Is that just highlighting ho ordinary Englands spin bowling is?

The pitches have been a fair bit more receptive, but they've certainly out-bowled Ali and Rashid so far.
nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2017, 01:39:02 AM »

The pitches have been a fair bit more receptive, but they've certainly out-bowled Ali and Rashid so far.

promising sign for the next batch coming through

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1085634.html
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »

promising sign for the next batch coming through

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1085634.html

Yeah I saw that. O'Keefe and Lyon both ply their trade there too so McGill must be doing something right. England need to get more players into grade cricket in the winter.
Noose

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Herath just broke Vettori's record for most test wickets by a left arm spinner. Reckon he is a better bowler or just bowling on a load of helpful pitches?
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »

Herath just broke Vettori's record for most test wickets by a left arm spinner. Reckon he is a better bowler or just bowling on a load of helpful pitches?

Definitely the latter and it's not even close imo

nellberg

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »

Definitely the latter and it's not even close imo

Vettori was quite a defensive bowler eh? Would be a far better white ball bowler. Can't compare tests as pitches are obviously polar opposites.
Noose

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »

Herath just seems to have been really underestimated for a long time. His record is excellent.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2017, 02:08:37 AM »

Brilliant but different bowlers. Vettori built pressure, Herath tries to take a wicket with every ball. This is a product of their respective environments where one played most of his cricket on greentops and the other on dustbowls. I'd pick Herath for tests and Vettori for ODI's.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

Brilliant but different bowlers. Vettori built pressure, Herath tries to take a wicket with every ball. This is a product of their respective environments where one played most of his cricket on greentops and the other on dustbowls. I'd pick Herath for tests and Vettori for ODI's.

I'm sure If Vettori had played 70% of his career on minefields in the sub continent then he would have takes stacks.
Like saying who's better, Lara or Tendulkar for the same reason. Lara wins hands down I think

Noose

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »

I'm sure If Vettori had played 70% of his career on minefields in the sub continent then he would have takes stacks.
Like saying who's better, Lara or Tendulkar for the same reason. Lara wins hands down I think

But Tendulkar scored all around the world too?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2017, 12:51:11 AM »

But Tendulkar scored all around the world too?

I've just had a look - Tendulkar averaged 53 at home in Tests and 55 away whereas Lara was 59 at home and 48 away, so it's Tendulkar who travels better - he averages more in both England and Australia than he does in India. I was surprised by this.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »

Nice article in The Guardian about Haseeb Hameed.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/19/batman-begins-meet-haseeb-hameed-english-crickets-rising-star
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 72 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: