blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What do you call yourself, unemployed or self employed?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you call yourself, unemployed or self employed?  (Read 12608 times)
Ragz

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »

I've been having this dilemma for a few years but find very little info on it. So for those of you who are dependent on poker winnings and nothing else, you don't claim welfare or anything, when applying for things like say bank accounts or even just car insurance, what do you state as your income? For my car insurance I put self employed then from the list of occupations to choose from I settled on financial analyst in financial services  pretty sure they can't void your car insurance in a smash finding out your income is totally different. Different stroy with banks though they want to know the company name you work for...?

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »

I just say unemployed, makes it easier and no follow up questions.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:18:13 PM »

You'd be surprised what they'll void your car insurance for... I can't remember ever lying about it, and just used to call up when I didn't see poker player on the list?

Been working since 2009, and been with bank since well before that. Not sure if they're much more tricky about it now, or if you're possibly setting yourself up for unnecessary agg.

Ragz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »

Well I just searched for my credit score on both noddle and clearscore and despite giving my last two addresses which span 5yrs total plus my debit card details they can't find a trace of me  Cheesy

Saying unemployed always has follow up questions namely what is your income?
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »

'Unemployed' will see you pay more as opposed to one of the boring 'safe' jobs out there, like office administrator or something.
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

If you have a major accident you are definitely getting your insurance voided for stating 'financial analyst' when your actually play the pokerz.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »

Self employed private equity investment fund manager.  You are not lying when you say this.  I manage my own private equity (my bankroll) in a controlled investment fund (ie punting across various betting mediums/outlets).  Just because your form of income is not subject to income tax why does this make this title any more right/wrong than a city guy who does the same sitting at home buying and selling shares?  It doesn't.

If you don't like the idea of that i much prefer retired to unemployed.  I am technically retired as i haven't had a job or any form of taxable income for nearly 10 years.  I just rely on being 'lucky' punting every day to get by.

When i meet strangers or friends of friends on nights out now i tend to say this because it usually sounds really boring and stops all the usual dull questions randoms ask you if you tell them the truth.  It also makes people in your company who know what you do chuckle a bit!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:34:41 PM by arbboy » Logged
Ragz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »

^^.

If you have a major accident you are definitely getting your insurance voided for stating 'financial analyst' when your actually play the pokerz.

Really? So anyone who changes jobs at any point in their life and doesn't inform their current car insurance company immediately can have any claims voided? Christ! Well financial analyst isn't strictly a lie anyway and the categories I chose are the closest it gets to poker from what is on offer. You don't get to type in your own words, it's multiple choice on confused.com at least. Also, I've made insaurance claims before and not once have they asked for my proof of employment, or even proof of drivers licence!!
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »

If you end up on the wrong side of a 6 or 7 figure third party claim the insurance company are going to go through your proposal answers with a very fine tooth comb.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »

How much were those claims for? It's only when it becomes worth it to them that they'll delve a bit deeper and look to get out of it. At a certain level they pay loss adjustors whose sole purpose is to reduce the pay out. If you've lied on your application they'll be loving it.

Forgetting to tell them that you've changed job is a lot different to out and out lying about what you do. Think I'd rather just say unemployed than take the risk. It might cost a bit more in premiums but that's the price you pay for having a job that doesn't require you to pay any taxes.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »

If you've coached anyone just go with Teacher

I've never seen the forms mention anything about having to work in a school

Might use Retired from now on though

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 03:53:31 PM »

Same as arb, I normally go with retired. Not bad in yours 30s. Or journalist on some forms.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

How much were those claims for? It's only when it becomes worth it to them that they'll delve a bit deeper and look to get out of it. At a certain level they pay loss adjustors whose sole purpose is to reduce the pay out. If you've lied on your application they'll be loving it.

Forgetting to tell them that you've changed job is a lot different to out and out lying about what you do. Think I'd rather just say unemployed than take the risk. It might cost a bit more in premiums but that's the price you pay for having a job that doesn't require you to pay any taxes.

Am i lying saying i am a 'self employed private equity investment fund manager'? just because legally the private equity investment fund i run doesn't require me to pay income/corporation tax and/or have a limited company/partnership legally set up to trade in and i don't wear a pin strip suit and cufflinks to do it?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:38:01 PM by arbboy » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »

Am i lying saying i am a 'self employed private equity investment fund manager'? just because legally the private equity investment fund i run doesn't require me to pay income/corporation tax and i don't wear a pin strip suit and cufflinks to do it?

I have no idea but fortunately I'm not the one having to interpret how you choose to describe playing poker and gambling.

It's a tricky one that's for sure but your description seems like one that could be justified if they pushed you that's for sure.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »

Am i lying saying i am a 'self employed private equity investment fund manager'? just because legally the private equity investment fund i run doesn't require me to pay income/corporation tax and i don't wear a pin strip suit and cufflinks to do it?

I have no idea but fortunately I'm not the one having to interpret how you choose to describe playing poker and gambling.

It's a tricky one that's for sure but your description seems like one that could be justified if they pushed you that's for sure.

Private equity investment is investment in private companies - do you invest in private companies?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: