blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:51:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The 2016 Ryder Cup
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2016 Ryder Cup  (Read 16274 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »

I reckon paddy got well filled-in on Knox who is now 4/6 from 4/1 this time yesterday.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »

Taking Graeme McDowell would be a mistake IMO. He is over rated and out of shape and quite unlikeable and think he would bring an ego that wouldnt be welcomed, or justified.

Whilst i would take experience over inexperience you have to mix it up in team golf events and also give some of those with a real future in the ryder cup a chance.

Westwood is a definite pick for me and Kaymer having now returned to form is also a shoe in.  I would take Knox over any of the other options, especially on US soil. I couldnt make a case for Lowry as think he is a bit of a bottler and slightly over rated.  I would also pick Luke Donald over McDowell or Lowry.

Its going to be an awesome event and cannot wait! I think it will be very very close as well and whilst i havent seen the prices yet, i would find them difficult to split. I am presuming the US are favourites on home soil.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer and Thomas Pieters confirmed as the wild card entries for the European Ryder Cup team.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »

That feels like a bad decision to me. I can see their logic in the same way they picked Ed Mol over Casey et al for the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup in that they want to reiterate that it is important to reward players that play a lot on the European Tour. It just feels like recency bias in picking Peters tho, not that he isn't a good player but finishing 2nd and 1st in his last few events in pretty low class is a long way behind what Knox has achieved this year imo.

Paul Peterson is a pretty ok Asian Tour player that went off 250/1 in the Czech event and Peters couldn't beat him and last week he beat off Joakim Lagergren down the stretch, with Bradley Dredge and Adrien Ortegui filling the places. Those fields are a long way behind the quality of field Knox has played in this year and he has won 2 events. From memory the WGC event he won Dustin Johnson was 9/4 and Jordan Speith about 9/2 going into the last round and Knox kicked away from a very good field. The top 10 featured Rory Speith Reed  Fitzpatrick Dustin Johnson Grace Willett and Kisner.

He has just been doing it at a  far higher level than Pieters has.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »

That feels like a bad decision to me. I can see their logic in the same way they picked Ed Mol over Casey et al for the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup in that they want to reiterate that it is important to reward players that play a lot on the European Tour. It just feels like recency bias in picking Peters tho, not that he isn't a good player but finishing 2nd and 1st in his last few events in pretty low class is a long way behind what Knox has achieved this year imo.

Paul Peterson is a pretty ok Asian Tour player that went off 250/1 in the Czech event and Peters couldn't beat him and last week he beat off Joakim Lagergren down the stretch, with Bradley Dredge and Adrien Ortegui filling the places. Those fields are a long way behind the quality of field Knox has played in this year and he has won 2 events. From memory the WGC event he won Dustin Johnson was 9/4 and Jordan Speith about 9/2 going into the last round and Knox kicked away from a very good field. The top 10 featured Rory Speith Reed  Fitzpatrick Dustin Johnson Grace Willett and Kisner.

He has just been doing it at a  far higher level than Pieters has.

This all over.

It was going to be tough as it was but just can't see us winning this time round no matter how rose tinted my specs are.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 06:53:20 PM »

It's interesting, isn't it? I agree Knox deserves the pick but as of now, how would you price them in a matchplay against each other? I'd be smashing into Pieters if he were priced as the underdog.

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »

It's interesting, isn't it? I agree Knox deserves the pick but as of now, how would you price them in a matchplay against each other? I'd be smashing into Pieters if he were priced as the underdog.

I guess that's the Crux Ollie, Peters has a natural matchplay game doesn't he, will be good in fourballs where he can go for everything.

Just feels like the guy in the top 20 in the world with form against class fields all year should make the team.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »

For sure. The lucky man is Westwood really. Say only one rookie had made the auto picks, Clarke would have had a really tough time justifying picking him over Knox.

@fairwaywedge
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 02:50:22 AM »

Yup. Don't get me wrong I like Pieters.

It's still the Westwood pick that wrankles. Been a great servant and all that but this is a stronger team coming at us this time and not sure he sets the right tone, as someone that just doesn't have the stomach for the final day, it seems anymore.

That said the Yanks seem to have a bunch of players that have yet to do so well in RC so far, and also expected to see more Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler type names having qualified.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »

Yup. Don't get me wrong I like Pieters.

It's still the Westwood pick that wrankles. Been a great servant and all that but this is a stronger team coming at us this time and not sure he sets the right tone, as someone that just doesn't have the stomach for the final day, it seems anymore.

That said the Yanks seem to have a bunch of players that have yet to do so well in RC so far, and also expected to see more Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler type names having qualified.

Agreed. I would have picked Knox over Westwood.
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »

Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar and J.B. Holmes have been named as the first 3 of Love's 4 Captains picks.
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »

The Rickie Fowler selection is great news for Europe. Woefully out of form all summer and has a terrible RC record. Gotta feel for guys like Daniel Berger and Ryan Moore who have been in good nick and deserve a chance. No doubt Bubba gets the final pick despite being in even worse form.

@fairwaywedge
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

Likewise, completely baffled by the Rickie Fowler pick. How Ryan Moore hasn't made it is quite ridiculous, been really impressed with him this year.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »

Darren Clarke’s fury as Willett’s brother blasts ‘stupid’ US Ryder Cup fans

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/28/darren-clarke-pj-willett-ryder-cup-article-us-fans?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »

I thought it (PJ Willett's piece) was a cracking article myself.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: