blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48584 times)
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »

From all that I've read online slow and easy is the way to go for the majority of runs, with 1 faster run a week like you're doing now to keep things interesting.

Are you knackered after your runs? I don't think you should be reaching your maximum distance/heartrate every run.

For anyone doing couchto5k/beginners, this sucks because a comfortable pace is likely to be barely more than a fast walk which feels piss poor but results will improve quickly.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »

From all that I've read online slow and easy is the way to go for the majority of runs, with 1 faster run a week like you're doing now to keep things interesting.

Are you knackered after your runs? I don't think you should be reaching your maximum distance/heartrate every run.

For anyone doing couchto5k/beginners, this sucks because a comfortable pace is likely to be barely more than a fast walk which feels piss poor but results will improve quickly.

Hi Mate, no not knackered. Last night i went out and did a 5k without looking at pace on my phone and came in at 4.48 av pace and although i would say i was running fast i def wasn't going all out, recovery is pretty quick.

I am going to try and run at 6m/km at the weekend and extend the distance and see how it feels, to be honest its more aches and pains in ankles that makes me think I can not do the distance if that make sense rather than the breathing/tired.

Any other advice welcome.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

Try to spend most of your time on your feet, sliding along on your belly just slows you down.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »

Inspiring thread - have not done any running since my army days - now 57 and a stone or two overweight, though i am fairly fit, ex builder.

i shall be off tomorrow to purchase trainers and running gear.

will be running mainly on farm tracks and across fields a circuit of 2k to start off with, so fairly rough terrain under foot.

anybody got an idea of what time i should look to do this in -

does anybody use a fitbit

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »

Inspiring thread - have not done any running since my army days - now 57 and a stone or two overweight, though i am fairly fit, ex builder.

will be running mainly on farm tracks and across fields a circuit of 2k to start off with, so fairly rough terrain under foot.

Good morning,

It's quite hard to judge without knowing about your general standard of fitness. I talk to a lot of people just starting out running. We talk about aiming for aiming for 6 min km's to start, working toward 5 min km's with training. Their training would be tailored to 5/10k's. You'll notice dramatic improvement at first, which feels great! Good luck with it.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »

I'm in your age bracket, give or take a few years and I do 7.2 mins per km over 5 km.

I am slow though.

mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »

7.2 mins a km sounds good -

i think i will be happy with 10 mins a km will report in after first run
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2017, 07:31:27 AM »

7.2 mins a km sounds good -

i think i will be happy with 10 mins a km will report in after first run

My first run nearly killed me, it was just over 2k.

Give it a few more runs and you will see your time fall.

I have never used a fitbit, interested if others do?

I use mapmyrun app on iphone, does everything I need and great to look back over to see what you have achieved,

Good luck.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »

okay first run in over 30 years

distance - 1.3k
time - 10 minutes dead
terrain - farm track - slight ups and downs - plenty of potholes

recovery time - 20 minutes

got back home  looking like a purple beetroot - but felt okay - 3 hours later no aches or pains

the probable reason for the slow recovery time is that 3 months ago i had the majority of 1 lung removed

will have a days break before i attempt the same circuit again - should i expect to run the same time or a faster-slower time any thoughts
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »

distance - 1.3k
time - 10 minutes dead

got back home  looking like a purple beetroot - but felt okay - 3 hours later no aches or pains

the probable reason for the slow recovery time is that 3 months ago i had the majority of 1 lung removed

will have a days break before i attempt the same circuit again - should i expect to run the same time or a faster-slower time any thoughts

Don't rush it Mikey, especially with less that the full quota of lungs.

What's the story with that anyway?

PS- Feel free to ignore this question.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

distance - 1.3k
time - 10 minutes dead

Don't rush it Mikey, especially with less that the full quota of lungs.

What's the story with that anyway?

PS- Feel free to ignore this question.

yeah this.  Look at the couch to 5k week by week schedule.   I always rushed in the past and just gave up. 

I have gone from 1 minute bursts to 25 minutes in 6 or 7 weeks, and it really wasn't bad.  I would say week 1 was likely the worst and even the jump to 20 mins wasn't so baf.

I was pretty impressed with myself the other day.  I don't have a fitbit, so just "run" with the stopwatch going on my phone.  Anyway I must have stopped it accidently at 8 minutes, and was already feeling a bit lethargic.   Was very tempted to just quit, but restarted the stopwatch and did the full 25 minutes + the unknown gap.  Hence probably got very close to the full 30 minute target.  I will probably give it another week and then try and do a full park run non stop.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

I managed to complete my first parkrun this morning.  Well it was the first one I have "run" all the way.  Funnily enough, I think it was slower than the last one where I ran splits mixed with walking, but I have been very much trying to get the stamina right. 

Pretty sure it is the first time I have run 5k without stopping in my life.  Thanks all who pushed me, especially when I was dreading the 20 minute run.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »

I managed to complete my first parkrun this morning.  Well it was the first one I have "run" all the way.  Funnily enough, I think it was slower than the last one where I ran splits mixed with walking, but I have been very much trying to get the stamina right. 

Pretty sure it is the first time I have run 5k without stopping in my life.  Thanks all who pushed me, especially when I was dreading the 20 minute run.

VWP.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »

VWP.

Thanks Tom, have you tried one yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: