blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Beginners Running - Advice Needed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginners Running - Advice Needed  (Read 48587 times)
stribling

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »

7.2 mins a km sounds good -

i think i will be happy with 10 mins a km will report in after first run

My first run nearly killed me, it was just over 2k.

Give it a few more runs and you will see your time fall.

I have never used a fitbit, interested if others do?

I use mapmyrun app on iphone, does everything I need and great to look back over to see what you have achieved,

Good luck.

Think it's been mentioned before, but I'd advise getting the strava app, I've always found it very useful and easy to use. Tracks all your runs so you can easily see how you've improved too

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

Fantastic stuff Doobs, well done.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »

I managed to complete my first parkrun this morning.  Well it was the first one I have "run" all the way.  Funnily enough, I think it was slower than the last one where I ran splits mixed with walking, but I have been very much trying to get the stamina right. 

Pretty sure it is the first time I have run 5k without stopping in my life.  Thanks all who pushed me, especially when I was dreading the 20 minute run.

VWP.

Thanks Tom, have you tried one yet?

No. I was desperate to build up to 5k so that I could do one too.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »

I managed to complete my first parkrun this morning.  Well it was the first one I have "run" all the way.  Funnily enough, I think it was slower than the last one where I ran splits mixed with walking, but I have been very much trying to get the stamina right. 

Pretty sure it is the first time I have run 5k without stopping in my life.  Thanks all who pushed me, especially when I was dreading the 20 minute run.

VWP.

We should have a slow Blondes park run, where we all "run"  round at the back.

Now I have done my 5k, does anybody still run splits after completing a park run?  I was alright for the first 15/20 minutes, but after that I slowed right down.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was literally "running" at walking pace for the last 10/15 minutes or so... and I was just over a minute slower overall than when I deliberately ran splits. 

I was thinking something like run 15 mins, walk 2, run 10, walk 2, run to finish.  I am sure I could have gone quicker if I walked for a bit to get my breath back.  There were people walking at times around me, so others must do this?   Any thoughts. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »

I run all the way but my pace is very slow. Each k takes roughly the same amount of time.

Click to see full-size image.

Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »

Well done, Keep up the good work!

I have been getting back into it for the last couple of weeks and been building up some good distance, done the below road runs this week and managed 10k on the treadmill at the gym this week too, so now need to get a 10k under my belt on the road.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »

VWP.

Now I have done my 5k, does anybody still run splits after completing a park run?  I was alright for the first 15/20 minutes, but after that I slowed right down.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was literally "running" at walking pace for the last 10/15 minutes or so... and I was just over a minute slower overall than when I deliberately ran splits. 

I was thinking something like run 15 mins, walk 2, run 10, walk 2, run to finish.  I am sure I could have gone quicker if I walked for a bit to get my breath back.  There were people walking at times around me, so others must do this?   Any thoughts. 

Walking breaks are great to stop your heart rate getting too high and knackering yourself so definitely keep them in.

Now I would go with something like 2km, walk until breath recovers, 2km. Split the last 2km if its too hard. Then do 2+2+2 at the weekend for a big effort when you can manage it.

After c25k I did a couple of weeks of 5ks before moving on to Bridge to 10k. The programme itself was a bit meh, but it shows the sort of progressions you can be looking to make. It includes walking breaks all the way upto 10k.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »

VWP.

Walking breaks are great to stop your heart rate getting too high and knackering yourself so definitely keep them in.

Now I would go with something like 2km, walk until breath recovers, 2km. Split the last 2km if its too hard. Then do 2+2+2 at the weekend for a big effort when you can manage it.

After c25k I did a couple of weeks of 5ks before moving on to Bridge to 10k. The programme itself was a bit meh, but it shows the sort of progressions you can be looking to make. It includes walking breaks all the way upto 10k.

That is good to hear.  I might just put a 1 minute walk in the middle of my midweek runs and two next time I do a parkrun. 

I really can't see me doing 10k.  One of my knees already suffers a bit when I do 5k. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »

Fantastic efforts in this thread - congratulations to all.

Inevitably, with the start of term, I've not had chance to get out much. In fact I've not run for a month.

I am dreading that first run back - hopefully I still have some of the stamina I built up left!
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »

Ankle injury has sorted itself out and I have mainly been running on a treadmill for the last few weeks building up the Km's.

Today I managed to get my first 10k done on the road, I have been running 10ks on the treadmill for a couple of weeks now but really wanted to get at least one done out on the roads.

Really pleased with the time and recovery was good, dont think I will be trying to run any longer distances for a while as work is getting really busy in the run up To Christmas, no doubt the new year will be the time to get back in to it.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:08:39 PM by Tractor » Logged

Dapper Street Menswear
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »

Ankle injury has sorted itself out and I have mainly been running on a treadmill for the last few weeks building up the Km's.

Today I managed to get my first 10k done on the road, I have been running 10ks on the treadmill for a couple of weeks now but really wanted to get at least one done out on the roads.

Really pleased with the time and recovery was good, dont think I will be trying to run any longer distances for a while as work is getting really busy in the run up To Christmas, no doubt the new year will be the time to get back in to it.

Haha! Your 10k time is only 11 mins slower than my 5k time.

Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

Some cracking efforts in here.

The newbies remind me of my struggles a few years ago to get beyond 10 minutes of running after being a lazy git for a long time. Everyone has to start somewhere. Tractor makes me want to get my arse in gear and try to break a 50m 10k like i always said i would at some point... Think my record is around the 53m mark and i'd be more like 57m currently.

Tomorrow will now be a run day!

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »

Who's still running?

I've settled down to 2 x 2 miles and 1 x 3 miles per week.

Still haven't done a park run though.

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »

Who's still running?

I've settled down to 2 x 2 miles and 1 x 3 miles per week.

Still haven't done a park run though.

I Started up again at the start of the year, but using a treadmill as my knees/ankles are knackered.
Managed to do 6 miles non stop this week. Knees ache though, waiting for the warmer weather
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »

Stopped in November due to work commitments and just started again.

Will just be doing a weekend run for a few more weeks then get back in to running everyday early March.

Times much slower but trying to avoid injury this year is key.

Good luck to everybody else running this year!

Dapper Street Menswear
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: