blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Martin McGuinness
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Martin McGuinness  (Read 6413 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

Mr McGuniness has passed away.

How would we judge him, in the final analysis? Good man, bad man, both, neither?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:51:49 AM »

bad man, even on his death bed hasnt given peace of mind to the families of people he killed and had killed and whose bodies havent been recovered

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »

first and foremost a murderous terrorist, who ultimately became a "man of peace"

but its not a binary answer, i suppose the answer is "both"

i was at school with William Tebbit during the Brighton bombings and afterwards saw the dreadful impact on the family. this morning his dad said "McGuinness only sought peace because he was a coward and murderer who feared arrest for personally killing people."

The courage of Martin McGuinness's victims talking today of forgiveness because they welcome peace is tremendous

kmac can come on later and say he's a hero and all that guff.not for me

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »

It is a prickly subject because, yes he's been getting praise for giving up violence and helping bring peace in NI but the fact is (and this is a point that I've not seen raised today in tributes, for obvious reasons) that without the decades of shootings and bombing campaigns there would be no power-sharing in NI, the Unionists would still have the whip hand - Sinn Fein had to use the IRA to get the UK government to be even interested in changing the status quo in NI.

Violence worked in NI and there would have been no change in the everyday lives of Catholics in NI without it, as unpalatable as that is for people to swallow.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

It is a prickly subject because, yes he's been getting praise for giving up violence and helping bring peace in NI but the fact is (and this is a point that I've not seen raised today in tributes, for obvious reasons) that without the decades of shootings and bombing campaigns there would be no power-sharing in NI, the Unionists would still have the whip hand - Sinn Fein had to use the IRA to get the UK government to be even interested in changing the status quo in NI.

Violence worked in NI and there would have been no change in the everyday lives of Catholics in NI without it, as unpalatable as that is for people to swallow.

And non violence worked in Scotland? 

We can only view one path for each situation, so we have no idea what would have happened if the SNP were the terrorists and the IRA were the men of peace. 

To suggest that change could only have happened with violence is absurd.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »

We can only view one path for each situation, so we have no idea what would have happened if the SNP were the terrorists and the IRA were the men of peace. 

Not really a good analogy.  NI was a constructed state and constructed to give one culture a majority.  That majority manifestly oppressed the minority.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »

Seen comments posted in other places by Celtic supporter types along the lines of RIP you did your country a great service.....
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »

first and foremost a murderous terrorist, who ultimately became a "man of peace"

but its not a binary answer, i suppose the answer is "both"

i was at school with William Tebbit during the Brighton bombings and afterwards saw the dreadful impact on the family. this morning his dad said "McGuinness only sought peace because he was a coward and murderer who feared arrest for personally killing people."

The courage of Martin McGuinness's victims talking today of forgiveness because they welcome peace is tremendous

kmac can come on later and say he's a hero and all that guff.not for me

Tebbit was one of the biggest racists in British politics. I wouldn't worry about him too much if I was you.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »

Seen comments posted in other places by Celtic supporter types along the lines of RIP you did your country a great service.....

He probably did do his country a good service, I don't really know too much about, it's not my thing. What exactly is a Celtic supporter type? I think you'll find some 'Celtic supporter types' won't consider him a hero.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »

http://news.sky.com/story/brighton-bombing-victim-lord-tebbit-wishes-mcguinness-an-eternity-in-hell-10809470

Classy.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »

He probably did do his country a good service, I don't really know too much about, it's not my thing. What exactly is a Celtic supporter type? I think you'll find some 'Celtic supporter types' won't consider him a hero.

No idea, I don't really understand half of it to be honest. All I know a few Celtic supporters were giving him the nod and some of the Rangers crew were blasting them for saying it.......argument then ensued.
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »

Not really a good analogy.  NI was a constructed state and constructed to give one culture a majority.  That majority manifestly oppressed the minority.

A similar situation to South Africa many years ago. And yet Nelson Mandela thoroughly liked and respected by a huge majority of British people and around the world even tho his ascent to the pinnacle of politics in his country and peace within his country followed the same path as Mcguiness.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

An IRA bomb nearly took his life so probably a tad bitter.
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »

Martin McGuinness grew up in the Bogside in Derry, the British army shot and murdered many of his friends and IMO he done what many would of done, fought back through joining the IRA. It was a dirty war, many innocent people killed on both sides of the community.

For the last 20 years he has fought tirelessly for peace and played a huge part in the Good Friday agreement, he also shook the hand of the Queen which as a republican was a huge deal but he knew it was a statement of change and peace.

I for one believe he is and will be a huge loss for the island of Ireland.

Ian Paisley JR was asked today about Martin !McGuinness and summed it up well when he finished with "it's not how you start out in life it's how you end it that matters.

RIP Martin.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

The murder of a 6 month old because her Dad was an RAF Corporal happened  23 days after I joined the RAF myself. Martin McGuinness, as second in command of the IRA, was directly responsible for the death of Nivruti and her Dad, Mick Islania. He also has the blood on his hands of anyone else murdered by the IRA. HIs being involved in the peace process is more likely due to the waning popularity of the IRA and their methods at the time and a need to capitalise politically  on that position than a desire for peace. The man is a mass murderer by any definition and deserves none of the praise being heaped on him. I'm angry sitting here typing this at all the bullshit being said about him on mainstream news channels. I won't have the news on in my house now for fear of me putting my foot through the tv when that calculating and systematic killers face appears on there.Wish I could join the 2 Para boys for a drop of this tonight.
 Click to see full-size image.

Cymru am byth
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: