blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Tanks on the lawn
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tanks on the lawn  (Read 5834 times)
AlrightJack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »

Its an interesting discussion, shot clocks have upsides and downsides, some of which have been noted here already, but one potential downside which hasn't been brought up yet is what the impact on table chat/sociability will be once everyone has become hypnotised into watching clocks ticking down. People say poker is getting boring, so maybe this is not the answer to putting fun back into the game, although I definitely agree that some de-tanking measures need to be put in place.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »

I played a shot clock comp recently and cough won it cough, it was terrible. The dealers were given timers that they struggled with most of the night, then we got involved in a ten minute debate about whether a call was made in time or not, without the tournament clock being stopped. More hassle than it's worth for me.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »

Its an interesting discussion, shot clocks have upsides and downsides, some of which have been noted here already, but one potential downside which hasn't been brought up yet is what the impact on table chat/sociability will be once everyone has become hypnotised into watching clocks ticking down. People say poker is getting boring, so maybe this is not the answer to putting fun back into the game, although I definitely agree that some de-tanking measures need to be put in place.

I don't think shot clocks fundamentally affect table chat, once players get used to the concept.
The key to shot clocks working is the dealers. I played a comp a couple of years ago, which had a shot clock, where the allocation of time was inconsistent from one dealer to another. Most annoying, & it then becomes a bigger subject at the table than it should be.

Not saying shot clocks are the answer in every situation. I think in evening comps & turbos they are a good addition.
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »

I think shot clocks are really good, & generally accepted well by players.

On the flip side, I watched the replay of the recent Millions final. The winner, Maria Lampropolus, played as slow as anyone I've seen, but it was a fascinating watch.

Has jakally become DTDNeil?

Are you working there? When did this happen?

Hello Keith. Yes, & last year.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »

On the flip side, I watched the replay of the recent Millions final. The winner, Maria Lampropolus, played as slow as anyone I've seen, but it was a fascinating watch.

Hi Neil, what is your job there?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »

GM. Was looking for a job last summer. No intention of it being poker related, but had a couple of conversations & agreed to give it a go.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:37 AM »

GM. Was looking for a job last summer. No intention of it being poker related, but had a couple of conversations & agreed to give it a go.

Cool. Congrats!

Sure you'll do a great job there. Haven't been to DtD for ages, will try and make it down sometime this year.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

Cool. Congrats!

Sure you'll do a great job there. Haven't been to DtD for ages, will try and make it down sometime this year.

Be good to see you.  Let me know when you're coming & I will make sure I'm there.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: