blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)  (Read 304080 times)
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: January 11, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »

Crypto and security

Since more and more people are getting into crypto I thought I would make a short post about security. Crypto gets a bad name in the press as they jump on anything that involves controversy or hacking in crypto. The truth is, as a normal user you can be (as far as I am aware) close to 100% safe with your funds if you take the correct measures.

Storing

The safest way to store your crypto is undoubtedly using a cold wallet. I would recommend the ledger nano s. Only buy one from the official site otherwise there is a risk it is compromised. Your ledger stores the keys to the blockchain and is not connected to the internet. Leaving money on exchanges is incredibly dangerous. An exchange is a central point of attack just like banks and are targeted by hackers all the time. Exchanges are also dangerous because inside jobs can cause extraordinary damage and leave a lot of funds missing.

Transfering crypto

It is absolutely essential that when you send crypto to someone you check the address you have pasted. There is malware that can change your clipboard to the hackers address and they receive your funds. When sending from your ledger you have the luxury of checking the address and amount on that as well, DO IT.

Visiting exchanges & online wallets

It is absolutely crucial that you either input the address manually or use a bookmark for exchanges and wallets. Phishing attempts are rife and google don't seem to care. Sometimes if you search "myetherwallet" on google the first hit will be to a phishing site with a similar address. If you visit this site and send some funds they will likely be gone.

This is what you should be looking for

Password protection and two factor authentication

For storing passwords for exchanges safely you can use software like KeePass, it's good to use for all password protection! For all exchanges it is absolutely crucial you use Google authenticator. It adds tremendous protection. I would strongly suggest getting an old telephone for this, if you use your current telephone and it gets lost or damaged, you have a huge ballache. For extra protection you can buy a cheap new phone just for Google authenticator. There are probably even safer ways to do it, but you're miles ahead if you do this already. When setting up Google authenticator be sure to keep the initial backup when generating a code for the first time since if your phone breaks, you have quick access to the codes again.

Extra cold wallet protection

When using the ledger nano s you are given a 24 recovery phrase in case you lose your ledger. This recovery phrase in the wrong hands or lost is game over for your funds. One of the safest and not too inconvenient ways to keep yourself secure is:

• Split your passwords into two parts (words 1-12, 13-24)
  • Keep your ledger and password phrases separate
  • Print the passwords offline onto steel sheets (I bought symbols to punch into the sheets)
  • Keep the steel sheets at separate locations, ideally with people you trust

Separately the password sheets you've created are useless. It's not a bad idea to not tell who you've given the sheets to, but now I'm being cynical. Or am I? Smiley

Before you go through all of this palava, how about reading a book about the psychology of investment cycles and behavioural finance. Then making a rational/sensible decision might be a bit easier.  

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/article/the-psychology-of-investing

It's all very well showing people how to secure their coins but that in itself just shows how risky it is to invest in this space.

I would put a high probability on this thread being dead in a few years time. It's really scary that unqualified people are still ramping these coins up all over the internet.  

Ace I believe you are confusing the volatility of the investment with the nature of a decentralised currency. The beauty of cryptocurrency is that it is decentralised, but that also means you have to take total responsibility for your own coins/tokens. Think about it like this, if you had 100k Sterling at home in cash then you'd also want to secure it. If putting it in the bank wasn't an option (as it isn't for crypto) then you'd probably get a safe, a safety deposit box or something like that. Or maybe you would exchange it to something that was easy to store and held value (gold?) You'd also back it up by having a spare key or giving a trusted person a backup way of getting your funds in an emergency.

The volatility of the investment is another thing altogether. I'm still amazed how cynical people are and that they can't even consider that any cryptocurrency could be succesful. My personal opinion is that perhaps 90% of the coins/tokens will go to the wall - this is partly because there is so much competition in each sector. Just as a couple of examples - in the field of logistics you have Walton, Modum, Veechain, Ambrosus, as well as new ICOs such as CargoX and many more - probably only one or maybe none of them will be successful. Then you have 'privacy coins' like Verge, PivX, Monero, Zcash and more. Quite possibly only one of these will succeed. But if you hold the one that does then you will have hit the jackpot.

It is interesting that you use the word unqualified, but what would provide a qualification in this context? Is it possible that you yourself are dismissing everything without fully understanding it yourself?

I am not disputing the technology at all, it's clear a revolution that is taking place. I have big issues with fundamentals, valuations and regulation (or lack of it).

Mike Novogratz who is a huge Bitcoin bull has even said that it's due a big correction and has gone even further to cancel the launch of a crypto based hedge fund. Why do you think that is? I will tell you why, it's because he doesn't want to damage his reputation on Wall Street as a result of his clients losing large sums of money.

With regards being qualified to comment, I would take a lot more notice of what Warren Buffet says over some random on an internet forum like Reddit. In my opinion, the crash needs to happen sooner rather than later. It will save a lot of people from losing a lot of money.

Forgive my ignorance, (or feel free to highlight it) but won't other people gain an equal amount of money?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. A crash doesn't benefit anyone invested, unless you are short of course. That can only be done properly on bitcoin at the moment. Given crypto currencies are supposed to revolve around Libertarian principles it does seem a bit of a strange comment!

I can get a proper short on
Bitcoin
Ripple
Ether
Bitcoin cash
Litecoin
Bitcoin Gold

How do you short all the other coins then, CFDs don't count in my book. Bitcoin is the only cryptocurrency that is traded in futures exchanges, such as CME/CBOE.

Ace you need to calm down a tad

Most people understand and probably agree with most you say and even Warren Buffet openly admits he doesn't get it right all the time

Yeah everybody appreciates we are probably in a bubble, everybody has been warned from every angle but what you have to understand is that a lot of punters have made a lot of money out of this baby already so its not bad news all round

If you need to ask how I short those other currencies then it just shows you don't know everything

typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »

Crypto and security

Since more and more people are getting into crypto I thought I would make a short post about security. Crypto gets a bad name in the press as they jump on anything that involves controversy or hacking in crypto. The truth is, as a normal user you can be (as far as I am aware) close to 100% safe with your funds if you take the correct measures.

Storing

The safest way to store your crypto is undoubtedly using a cold wallet. I would recommend the ledger nano s. Only buy one from the official site otherwise there is a risk it is compromised. Your ledger stores the keys to the blockchain and is not connected to the internet. Leaving money on exchanges is incredibly dangerous. An exchange is a central point of attack just like banks and are targeted by hackers all the time. Exchanges are also dangerous because inside jobs can cause extraordinary damage and leave a lot of funds missing.

Transfering crypto

It is absolutely essential that when you send crypto to someone you check the address you have pasted. There is malware that can change your clipboard to the hackers address and they receive your funds. When sending from your ledger you have the luxury of checking the address and amount on that as well, DO IT.

It is absolutely crucial that you either input the address manually or use a bookmark for exchanges and wallets. Phishing attempts are rife and google don't seem to care. Sometimes if you search "myetherwallet" on google the first hit will be to a phishing site with a similar address. If you visit this site and send some funds they will likely be gone.

For storing passwords for exchanges safely you can use software like KeePass, it's good to use for all password protection! For all exchanges it is absolutely crucial you use Google authenticator. It adds tremendous protection. I would strongly suggest getting an old telephone for this, if you use your current telephone and it gets lost or damaged, you have a huge ballache. For extra protection you can buy a cheap new phone just for Google authenticator. There are probably even safer ways to do it, but you're miles ahead if you do this already. When setting up Google authenticator be sure to keep the initial backup when generating a code for the first time since if your phone breaks, you have quick access to the codes again.

When using the ledger nano s you are given a 24 recovery phrase in case you lose your ledger. This recovery phrase in the wrong hands or lost is game over for your funds. One of the safest and not too inconvenient ways to keep yourself secure is:

• Print the passwords offline onto steel sheets (I bought symbols to punch into the sheets)

Separately the password sheets you've created are useless. It's not a bad idea to not tell who you've given the sheets to, but now I'm being cynical. Or am I? Smiley

Before you go through all of this palava, how about reading a book about the psychology of investment cycles and behavioural finance. Then making a rational/sensible decision might be a bit easier.  

It's all very well showing people how to secure their coins but that in itself just shows how risky it is to invest in this space.

I would put a high probability on this thread being dead in a few years time. It's really scary that unqualified people are still ramping these coins up all over the internet.  

Ace I believe you are confusing the volatility of the investment with the nature of a decentralised currency. The beauty of cryptocurrency is that it is decentralised, but that also means you have to take total responsibility for your own coins/tokens. Think about it like this, if you had 100k Sterling at home in cash then you'd also want to secure it. If putting it in the bank wasn't an option (as it isn't for crypto) then you'd probably get a safe, a safety deposit box or something like that. Or maybe you would exchange it to something that was easy to store and held value (gold?) You'd also back it up by having a spare key or giving a trusted person a backup way of getting your funds in an emergency.

The volatility of the investment is another thing altogether. I'm still amazed how cynical people are and that they can't even consider that any cryptocurrency could be succesful. My personal opinion is that perhaps 90% of the coins/tokens will go to the wall - this is partly because there is so much competition in each sector. Just as a couple of examples - in the field of logistics you have Walton, Modum, Veechain, Ambrosus, as well as new ICOs such as CargoX and many more - probably only one or maybe none of them will be successful. Then you have 'privacy coins' like Verge, PivX, Monero, Zcash and more. Quite possibly only one of these will succeed. But if you hold the one that does then you will have hit the jackpot.

It is interesting that you use the word unqualified, but what would provide a qualification in this context? Is it possible that you yourself are dismissing everything without fully understanding it yourself?

I am not disputing the technology at all, it's clear a revolution that is taking place. I have big issues with fundamentals, valuations and regulation (or lack of it).

Mike Novogratz who is a huge Bitcoin bull has even said that it's due a big correction and has gone even further to cancel the launch of a crypto based hedge fund. Why do you think that is? I will tell you why, it's because he doesn't want to damage his reputation on Wall Street as a result of his clients losing large sums of money.

With regards being qualified to comment, I would take a lot more notice of what Warren Buffet says over some random on an internet forum like Reddit. In my opinion, the crash needs to happen sooner rather than later. It will save a lot of people from losing a lot of money.

Forgive my ignorance, (or feel free to highlight it) but won't other people gain an equal amount of money?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. A crash doesn't benefit anyone invested, unless you are short of course. That can only be done properly on bitcoin at the moment. Given crypto currencies are supposed to revolve around Libertarian principles it does seem a bit of a strange comment!

Bitcoin
Ripple
Ether
Bitcoin cash
Litecoin
Bitcoin Gold

You could short ADA, Monero and Zec with Bitmex although volumes on the last two are very well and ADA is too new to tell @Bitmex. Bitcoin action is amazing on there though, its fascinating to watch. What do you use at the moment typhoon? Some sort of spread betting?

Affiliate link below,  10% fee discount for users; https://www.bitmex.com/register/fCpg0h

Here is a guy I follows response to some of the common FUD that comes up and some of the exciting things. https://twitter.com/Beetcoin/status/935460412262375424

Crazy dip last night, the failed breakout from 6th/7th has sent me really bearish.

Yes I am trading on three spread bet accounts at the mo

The thing is we are taking these crazy price movements as standard now...unbelievable actions
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

Crypto and security

Storing

Transfering crypto

Bitcoin
Ripple
Ether
Bitcoin cash
Litecoin
Bitcoin Gold

How do you short all the other coins then, CFDs don't count in my book. Bitcoin is the only cryptocurrency that is traded in futures exchanges, such as CME/CBOE.

Most people understand and probably agree with most you say and even Warren Buffet openly admits he doesn't get it right all the time

Yeah everybody appreciates we are probably in a bubble, everybody has been warned from every angle but what you have to understand is that a lot of punters have made a lot of money out of this baby already so its not bad news all round

If you need to ask how I short those other currencies then it just shows you don't know everything

Your're not participating in the market by shorting those coins, your gambling on them falling. Spread betting/cfd trading has no influence on the underlying price of the asset. Trading through an authorised futures exchange is totally different and the only coin you can do that on is BTC.

With regards to Buffet, no one makes a correct call on the market every time but he consistently gets it right, and has done for decades.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 11, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

Buffet is like a stopped clock on Crypto. He has been predicting a bad end for crypto for three/four years. Yes eventually he may be right. If I constantly predict something for 3/4 years then eventually I may also be right.
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »

Buffet is like a stopped clock on Crypto. He has been predicting a bad end for crypto for three/four years. Yes eventually he may be right. If I constantly predict something for 3/4 years then eventually I may also be right.

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:36 PM »

Crypto and security

Storing

Transfering crypto

Bitcoin
Ripple
Ether
Bitcoin cash
Litecoin
Bitcoin Gold

Your're not participating in the market by shorting those coins, your gambling on them falling. Spread betting/cfd trading has no influence on the underlying price of the asset. Trading through an authorised futures exchange is totally different and the only coin you can do that on is BTC.

With regards to Buffet, no one makes a correct call on the market every time but he consistently gets it right, and has done for decades.

If you physically buy a coin your gambling on it going up

I have the bonus of long or short
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.

Agreed he knows more about making money than basically anyone, that doesn't make him an expert on Cryptocurrency. All the evidence suggests he's already made pretty big errors of judgement on it.
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »

Here's a direct quote from Buffet on Crypto from yesterday:
"I get into enough trouble with things I think I know something about. Why in the world should I take a long or short position in something I don't know anything about."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

He admits himself that he knows F all about it. But still he is firm in his belief that it will end badly. Perhaps he should put a little research in?

He's a good lad for giving money to charity but I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:24 PM »

Agreed he knows more about making money than basically anyone, that doesn't make him an expert on Cryptocurrency. All the evidence suggests he's already made pretty big errors of judgement on it.

He said an interview that he knows very little about Cryptocurrency

He says he is going to get asked a lot about it and he doesn't have the answers

The world and his dog knows theres a huge correction looming so its an easy call really
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 11, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »

"I get into enough trouble with things I think I know something about. Why in the world should I take a long or short position in something I don't know anything about."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

He admits himself that he knows F all about it. But still he is firm in his belief that it will end badly. Perhaps he should put a little research in?

He's a good lad for giving money to charity but I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion

I've seen all his quotes. Even from a position of not understanding crypto currencies I would take his comments onboard, over and above 99.99% of people who claim to be crypto experts. Let's see if we are still having this conversation in 5 or 10 years time.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: January 11, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »

Yeah, but what's nirvana doing with my 10k?

The older I get, the better I was.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 11, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »

I remember getting excited about rockhopper....
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 11, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »

I've seen all his quotes. Even from a position of not understanding crypto currencies I would take his comments onboard, over and above 99.99% of people who claim to be crypto experts. Let's see if we are still having this conversation in 5 or 10 years time.

Quite frankly I don't give a toss about 5 years time, I'm making my money now
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 11, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »

The world and his dog knows theres a huge correction looming so its an easy call really

The world and his dog are trying to go long on crypto currencies.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:23 PM »

The world and his dog are trying to go long on crypto currencies.

No, not everyone
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 88 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: