blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)  (Read 303578 times)
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »

Buffet is like a stopped clock on Crypto. He has been predicting a bad end for crypto for three/four years. Yes eventually he may be right. If I constantly predict something for 3/4 years then eventually I may also be right.

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.

Here's a direct quote from Buffet on Crypto from yesterday:
"I get into enough trouble with things I think I know something about. Why in the world should I take a long or short position in something I don't know anything about."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

He admits himself that he knows F all about it. But still he is firm in his belief that it will end badly. Perhaps he should put a little research in?

He's a good lad for giving money to charity but I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion

I've seen all his quotes. Even from a position of not understanding crypto currencies I would take his comments onboard, over and above 99.99% of people who claim to be crypto experts. Let's see if we are still having this conversation in 5 or 10 years time.

Quite frankly I don't give a toss about 5 years time, I'm making my money now

Well done give yourself a medal. I think you are getting sidetracked about the wider conversation.
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 11, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »

Buffet is like a stopped clock on Crypto. He has been predicting a bad end for crypto for three/four years. Yes eventually he may be right. If I constantly predict something for 3/4 years then eventually I may also be right.

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.

"I get into enough trouble with things I think I know something about. Why in the world should I take a long or short position in something I don't know anything about."
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

He admits himself that he knows F all about it. But still he is firm in his belief that it will end badly. Perhaps he should put a little research in?

He's a good lad for giving money to charity but I don't see how it is relevant to this discussion

I've seen all his quotes. Even from a position of not understanding crypto currencies I would take his comments onboard, over and above 99.99% of people who claim to be crypto experts. Let's see if we are still having this conversation in 5 or 10 years time.

Well done give yourself a medal. I think you are getting sidetracked about the wider conversation.

Just letting you know that not everything is doom and gloom
acegooner

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »

Just letting you know that not everything is doom and gloom

I agree some people have done very well over the last few years, that has to stop at some stage. The adopters of this technology will not be comfortable shorting what they believe in. One of my close friends is a wealth manager, the conversation he hates having with his clients the most, you guessed it.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 11, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.

Since Dunning Kruger has been mentioned in other threads got to tip my hat to them here.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »

Yeah the man that grew his companies share price by 20%+ pa since 1965. I would hazard a guess that he knows more about making money consistently than any crypto investor. And you know what  despite his capitalistic principles, he's given billions away to charity.

Since Dunning Kruger has been mentioned in other threads got to tip my hat to them here.

Is it possible that he says what he does because it's better for him and many others who are conventionally wealthy in the current system if it fails? Seems to me like he's more likely using his influence to try and make it fail, rather than falling in to a Dunning-Kruger bearish trap.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »

I didn't mean Buffett. 

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »

I didn't mean Buffett. 

That makes more sense :-)
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 11, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

On a side note whilst Buffett is being mentioned heres a quote from Harry Findlay...made me chuckle

"When warren Buffett dies, he'll leave over 80 billion but, in his lifetime, he spent less than two million. There will be less than 80 pence in my will but I've already spent over 20 million. who do you think has got the maths right?"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 11, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »

Yeah, but what's nirvana doing with my 10k?

OK, so read the first few paras of this, more if you want - give me your 10k and I'll invest it in a company like this at £12.50 and it's as easy as that to make money and 'notional value' disappear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1339789/Marconi-from-boom-to-bust-in-a-year.html

At the point when a crash happens and the value of yr shares goes from £10,000 to £350, no one benefited and received £9,650 - you still have yr asset, a share certificate in olden times, or some code in a wallet today - all that has happened is that the market has re-valued your asset at a lot lower than you paid for it.

Someone else with a lot more knowledge than me can explain it better - Shirley ?

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »

OK, so read the first few paras of this, more if you want - give me your 10k and I'll invest it in a company like this at £12.50 and it's as easy as that to make money and 'notional value' disappear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1339789/Marconi-from-boom-to-bust-in-a-year.html

At the point when a crash happens and the value of yr shares goes from £10,000 to £350, no one benefited and received £9,650 - you still have yr asset, a share certificate in olden times, or some code in a wallet today - all that has happened is that the market has re-valued your asset at a lot lower than you paid for it.

Someone else with a lot more knowledge than me can explain it better - Shirley ?

Nope, sorry, I still don't get it.

I really don't mean to be obtuse but you spent my 10k. Who has it?

The older I get, the better I was.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »

Nobody spent anything, the market has determined that it's just worth much less now.

Edit: I don't think this helps much, I'll think of an analogy to try and make it make sense.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:06:34 PM by kukushkin88 » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »

Here you go, have fun :-)

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/03/060603.asp

http://academic.regis.edu/jroth/Money%20and%20Value.html

sola virtus nobilitat
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 11, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »

Surely your money disappears at the point of purchase. If you buy something for £10k the seller has your money and you have the purchase. If the value of your purchase goes down and you now sell it for £1k the original seller still has your £10k unless he has already spent it.

Ah! The element of surprise
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 11, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »

You are buying a share of a company. So your 0.001% share of the company, bought for £10k, is now only worth £350 because that is all the market values it at. Usually what the last 0.001% was bought for. If loads of people suddenly want to buy into that company - more than who want to sell - supply/demand dictates the value of the shares will rise.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »

Surely your money disappears at the point of purchase. If you buy something for £10k the seller has your money and you have the purchase. If the value of your purchase goes down and you now sell it for £1k the original seller still has your £10k unless he has already spent it.

I've tried that logic Andrew, they won't have it.

I need a diagram.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 88 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: