blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)  (Read 304040 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: November 29, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »

As it goes through $11k I notice the market cap of BTC is $185bn and there's $9bn of it traded in past 24 hours, or about 5% of the total.

How does that ratio compare to other traded things (shares/gold etc).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 29, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »

As it goes through $11k I notice the market cap of BTC is $185bn and there's $9bn of it traded in past 24 hours, or about 5% of the total.

ref shares. 5% would be enormous. re physical commodities eg oil,gold,metals..more commonplace but thats due to hedging of the physical against futures or vice versa

obviously this is a bubble (have no dog in the fight here,just 15 years experience of seeing them and living them good and bad professionally) and a correction here would be very healthy

my main concern here would be what exactly is manipulating the price (do we know?) and lack of regulation

Be careful.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »

But when does a bubble peak?  In the old days it would be when the shoeshine boy said he was in to bitcoin - who are today's shoeshine boys?
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »

But when does a bubble peak?  In the old days it would be when the shoeshine boy said he was in to bitcoin - who are today's shoeshine boys?

Click to see full-size image.

Saw this in Vienna last week. Seems pretty peaky.
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 29, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »

i bought BTC at the end of last year and I'm starting to get twitchy

@whollyflush on twitter
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 29, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »

i bought BTC at the end of last year and I'm starting to get twitchy

Really tough position. On balance I've always regretted not locking in exceptional returns when I could more than missing out selling at the peak. Course if btc goes to half a mill....you might throw up Smiley

sola virtus nobilitat
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: November 29, 2017, 12:55:59 PM »

Everyone who has Crypto - what is your exit strategy if any? Anything that would make you cash out tomorrow?
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: November 29, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »

Everyone who has Crypto - what is your exit strategy if any? Anything that would make you cash out tomorrow?

Tikay tipping it.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »

ref shares. 5% would be enormous. re physical commodities eg oil,gold,metals..more commonplace but thats due to hedging of the physical against futures or vice versa

obviously this is a bubble (have no dog in the fight here,just 15 years experience of seeing them and living them good and bad professionally) and a correction here would be very healthy

my main concern here would be what exactly is manipulating the price (do we know?) and lack of regulation

Be careful.

I don't think I've ever seen anything look more bubble-y but isn't it just the extra publicity and subsequent spam generated that's inflating it rather than coordinated manipulation? Or do you think that wouldn't be enough by itself?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »

From nowhere Ether pops up 10%

Must remember "Nobody rings a bell when it gets to the top"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2017, 01:11:13 PM »

Tikay tipping it.

Be it on your own head Andrew.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2017, 01:14:38 PM »

Be careful.

I don't think I've ever seen anything look more bubble-y but isn't it just the extra publicity and subsequent spam generated that's inflating it rather than coordinated manipulation? Or do you think that wouldn't be enough by itself?

not enough by itself

I saw something yesterday

A jobbing pro poker playing posited a question to Dug Plk

"have $40k and want to top up my BTC today,which coin would you buy?"

I mean come on,is this much different from the old penny trading sheds at the peak of the tech bubble 1999-2001? its not.the asset management equivalent of the wild west

and the fundamentals could well be fantastic.thats not the point

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »

A slight diversion now, by way of context.

Anyone remember a guy named Mark Strahan, used to post on THM Forum as "Mark S"?

He was, shall we say, a bit of a character, & got more wrong - a lot more wrong - than he got right. Famously, he wrote a book - "How to Win at Poker", which sold for $5.

But a stopped watch & all that.....

Here's a thread he started about Bitcoin back in 2013, from THM Forum, which I happened across a few days ago;

http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46031

When you read these things 4 years after, some of the replies are mildly interesting.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »

A slight diversion now, by way of context.

Anyone remember a guy named Mark Strahan, used to post on THM Forum as "Mark S"?

He was, shall we say, a bit of a character, & got more wrong - a lot more wrong - than he got right. Famously, he wrote a book - "How to Win at Poker", which sold for $5.

But a stopped watch & all that.....

Here's a thread he started about Bitcoin back in 2013, from THM Forum, which I happened across a few days ago;

http://www.thehendonmob.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46031

When you read these things 4 years after, some of the replies are mildly interesting.....

Holy crap now that is a blast from the past. An old colleague of mine from PokerNews used to call him (in a satire on Neil 'Bad Beat' Channing) - Mark 'Bad Book' Strahan.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

^^^^^

Pretty sure Mark used to run an alternative poker news site to Pokernews with a disingenuous title - PokerNewsUK or somesuch.

He took a lot of stick - & I do mean a lot - over that book.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:35:11 PM by tikay » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 88 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: