blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 88 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official cryptocurrency thread (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Altcoin)  (Read 304200 times)
DropTheHammer

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »

When your Bitcoin is left in an exchange or service like coinbase, then it's up to them to give you access to your forked coin. This can take many months or may not happen.

So to guarantee all Bitcoin forks, hold it in your own wallet, like Trezor or ledger nano s.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:04 AM »

Click to see full-size image.
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »

Yes, 1btc is now (or a few hours ago, at least) worth $14k. Simply mind-blowing.

Up till a few days ago, I only really read about btc in The Times business section, and concluded that this was an asset class that I didn't really understand, that seemed far too high risk, and subject to significant "corruption".

Then, last weekend, a cross-table conversation ensued between a number of poker players who were all invested in cryptos. They talked about an app where you can monitor realtime values, and that once opened, you'd struggle to switch off from it. This kind of chat struck a chord for me, since I'm one of the over-40's (+ a chunk) on here who can quite vividly remember the tech bubble of the late '90s early '00s.

So, I've read this thread from page 1 (!) and can confirm that there's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said.

But I do have one or two pieces of advice:

1. Sell as much of your holding as required to max out your CGT allowance for the current tax year. If you've crystallised losses on any other assets in the year, don't forget you can offset them against your btc gains.
2. If you're in the enviable position of sitting on (say) a 5x gain on your original investment, then you should also seriously consider realising c.2.5x of that gain, locking up a decent profit, and "free roll" the rest - even if you might have to pay some CGT.

The sensible Edward in me just screams "take the money" before there's a serious price correction. And after all, you can always buy back in at the post-crash price. I did exactly this with my key share holdings pre & post Brexit vote. Patience is key.

But whatever those of you who are still invested decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

Here is the address holding all the stolen/hacked coins from nicehash (allegadly)

https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

It's all ready made $12m usd since last night due to the gains  Grin.  Can probably afford a legal team now.
SuperJez

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:51 PM »

If you're in today then you're early. For anyone who is suffering with regret from not being involved yet then the next couple of weeks are a good time to do it. Lots of very important news is coming this month and therefore a lot of early investors are selling as well as newer investors being apprehensive about buying, therefore I think the price of most coins won't change a lot for a month. It doesn't take long to learn how to invest and there is plenty of information on the internet.

For me Bitcoin is always king and I will always have a lot of my portfolio weighted around this (about 50%). Initially I was invested in Ethereum pretty deep too and whilst it will always do well I just think that with the potential of so many other alt coins, that ethereum isn't that far ahead of the game anymore.

I've spread the rest of my portfolio between 5 other alt coins which are Antshares (NEO), stratis, waves, gamecredits and monaco (new, just hit the market). Also punted on another ICO but that's all it is, a punt.

I don't know a heap about all of these coins although I would say I'm best informed on BTC ETH GAME and monaco.

I'm interested to see how much action this thread gets, I imagine to begin with very little but by the end of the year it will pick up some traction Smiley.

Looking back at this thread,  what a great post this was which totally called everything correctly.  Any tips for altcoins in the current market gratefully received ty.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 07, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »

When your Bitcoin is left in an exchange or service like coinbase, then it's up to them to give you access to your forked coin. This can take many months or may not happen.

So to guarantee all Bitcoin forks, hold it in your own wallet, like Trezor or ledger nano s.

I bought about 10 days ago and store them on mycelium.

Should I have any forked coins and how would I check for them?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:56 PM »

If you're in today then you're early. For anyone who is suffering with regret from not being involved yet then the next couple of weeks are a good time to do it. Lots of very important news is coming this month and therefore a lot of early investors are selling as well as newer investors being apprehensive about buying, therefore I think the price of most coins won't change a lot for a month. It doesn't take long to learn how to invest and there is plenty of information on the internet.

For me Bitcoin is always king and I will always have a lot of my portfolio weighted around this (about 50%). Initially I was invested in Ethereum pretty deep too and whilst it will always do well I just think that with the potential of so many other alt coins, that ethereum isn't that far ahead of the game anymore.

I've spread the rest of my portfolio between 5 other alt coins which are Antshares (NEO), stratis, waves, gamecredits and monaco (new, just hit the market). Also punted on another ICO but that's all it is, a punt.

I don't know a heap about all of these coins although I would say I'm best informed on BTC ETH GAME and monaco.

I'm interested to see how much action this thread gets, I imagine to begin with very little but by the end of the year it will pick up some traction Smiley.

Looking back at this thread,  what a great post this was which totally called everything correctly.  Any tips for altcoins in the current market gratefully received ty.

Lucky Scrote has made many excellent posts on this thread. Incredibly balanced opinion despite his obvious bias towards bitcoin.

I hope he makes a mint.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:51 PM »

Lucky Scrote has made many excellent posts on this thread. Incredibly balanced opinion despite his obvious bias towards bitcoin.

I hope he makes a mint.

A few of my friends have been asking me about it, and I have linked them all to this thread.

I've not one clue about it, but have enjoyed following along here.

Likewise, I hope they all get the lot!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 08, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »

Seen on Twitter this morning, a Tweet by @TravWeav.

Bought 1,500 bitcoin in 2011 for $2.87 each. I will pick 5 random people who retweet this and give one to each of you. Merry Christmas. 🎅 #Bitcoin

I've no idea who TravWeav is, but he appears to be (currently) worth some $22 million.

So far he has had 140,000 retweets.

May or may not be true, of course.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 08, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »

are we there yet Dad?

One tulip was more expensive than an Amsterdam town house back then :-)

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 08, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »

where do you think we are?

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »

Bitcoin is becoming so valuable and volatile that it's not possible to use it to actually sell things, according to one prominent online shop.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-price-surge-value-latest-updates-steam-live-payment-post-announcement-a8097321.html

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: December 08, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

$15,000 to $18,300 to $15,000 in 24 hours - the swingy-swongy nature of Bitcoin makes it great to watch even for someone like me who has none of them.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: December 08, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »

Bitcoin is becoming so valuable and volatile that it's not possible to use it to actually sell things, according to one prominent online shop.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-price-surge-value-latest-updates-steam-live-payment-post-announcement-a8097321.html

This is the first thing to make me question the whole thing, in recent weeks it has become nobody really wants to do the utility side of things that is actually exchanging it for goods and services. Every pizza bought with Bitcoin now is a potential regret two years later.
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

Ha for a lefty paper those are some pretty cynical comments. My pub landlord bought some BTC a couple of weeks ago and a friends taxi driver mentioned it too. Just waiting for my shoe shine boy to chime in with an alt-coin recommendation and then we are all set to pop.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 88 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: