blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The world cup
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The world cup  (Read 55882 times)
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »

About the 20th minute one of the Columbian technical staff passed a note on

Presume it said we can't live with this time to go to plan b
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »

Highlights now on the beeb!

Let's go again
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »

Well done England.

Best team won the match. I'm not sure how the ref didnt send of at least one Columbian player for their antics.  No place for that in the game imo,

Worldy of a save by Pickford just before Columbia equalised.  Deserves more praise.

England have a real chance here to get to the Final, though they rely far too much on Kane.  Rashford must start in place of Sterling, who has been anonymous in this World Cup.

Rashford is nowhere near good enough to be starting regularly for England. I'm sure he will be in a couple of years but not at the moment.

Whilst it's flavour of the month/year/decade to bash Sterling, and yes he doesn't get on the scoresheet as much as he should (though that can be levelled at plenty of other players), he offers way more to the team than Rashford.

His runs, his ability to create space, he occupies defenders, his link up play. He starts for England on merit, and whilst he isn't pulling up any trees this comp, his all round game is contributing to this 'success' England are enjoying.

Best Bitter.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Do think we lost something when Sterling went off.   Rashford made a bigger difference than Vardy, though that might just be because they were given different instructions.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »

England controlled the game until tbey became conscious of needing to control the game.

Better performance than I thought we were capable of and most enjoyable 80 odd minutes of watching England in a tourney for a while

sola virtus nobilitat
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »

Sterling is playing fine just needs a goal

Amazing how perception changes around Henderson

Looking at the highlights again another ref he gets sent off for reacting during the penalty award. The game seemed to pass him by and he never controlled it at any point.

As ever could never fault his effort
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »

The mail release an article slagging Sterling just after the final penalty

Great work Matt lawton you moron
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:09 PM »

Massive respect for Southgate too - can't really find any fault in anything he has done since taking over and presents himself so well compared with so many arrogant idiot predecessors in the role

sola virtus nobilitat
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »

The media hatchet job has worked wonders.

Now your average simpleton down the pub hates Sterling and they don't even know why.

Best Bitter.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2018, 11:11:07 PM »

Massive respect for Southgate too - can't really find any fault in anything he has done since taking over and presents himself so well compared with so many arrogant idiot predecessors in the role

Correct

Credit to the much maligned Dan ashworth as well was a massive cheerleader for Southgate since he was appointed to oversee all the changes
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »

The media hatchet job has worked wonders.

Now your average simpleton down the pub hates Sterling and they don't even know why.

The media are dicks, as per.

Lack of proper research and the desire to scare everyone is why we are so relatively poorly supported, when there appears to be very little risk in being there.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2018, 01:40:02 AM »

very surprised that Vardy didn't take one. 80% success rate for club

wonder why. maybe lacking a bit of confidence as you imply

Presumably he was 6th?

good pens though, even Henderson's was a good save rather than a bad pen

Harry Maguire had a really really good game (trying to be objective but failing)

Re: Vardy and not taking a penalty. My guesstimate is that in the majority of Southgate's scenarios where England got to penalties then Vardy wouldn't have been on the pitch, given that Rashford seems to have been the Plan A attacking replacement. Whereas the five who went ahead of him were likely to be on the pitch (Dier not as much I confess). I realise in this particular scenario he was and I'm also surprised he didn't take one. But the whole 'owning the process' mantra that Southgate has preached recently almost certainly had Player X taking Penalty Y and I presume that Dier was always pencilled in for spot-kick number five if he was on the pitch. Forgetting his performances in Russia so far he has a) captained England and b) taken free kicks for England (e.g. vs. Russia in Euro 2016) so certainly seems to have the mental ability to be trusted in such a situation and the technique at dead ball situations.

p.s. not a dig at you Rich, just quoting you out of the many who asked the same question.
p.p.s. I know you're a stats man, the xG of a penalty is 76% according to understat.com's xG model, so Vardy is above average...just.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:42:38 AM by dino1980 » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »

The two years of debate after we lose to Colombia will be fun

Yup 
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2018, 08:17:08 AM »

Overwhelming to win on penalties, long time coming

Maguire was a colossus at the back and really penetrating running the ball forwards. In fact the back 3 looked composed in possession at the back, liking it.

Trippier has impressed on the international scene

Henderson is the ghost of David Batty, penalty miss was totally expected. In ET when we need a moment of magic JH is incapable. Bringing Jonjo Shelvey on for that 30mins would have been just the ticket.

Bring on Sweden yah.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »

Re: Vardy taking a pen

I read or heard somewhere (maybe twitter) vardy said no to taking a pen when asked. Not sure how true that is though

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: